main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bounty Hunters in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    But why would we need to know something like that? It couldn't possibly be important to the story, because this film, and this trilogy, is not going to be about Han Solo; it's not going to be primarily about ANY of the Big Three; it's going to be primarily about the generation that comes AFTER them. This need for fan service is going to kill this new trilogy in the cradle. Whatever happens in the ST, it's not going to be the OT: Part II. It's going to be - and needs to be - it's own thing.

Darth Chiznuk and StoneRiver like this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    "Make Han explain why he hates droids"?

[face_laugh]

Ah, you guys...

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Fan service in a film that everyone in the world expects to feature new characters named Solo and Skywalker...say it ain't so!

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Weren't the Magna Guards (or whatever they're called) a precursor to the IG model? If so, then we can say we've already had IG action in the films...

5. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Someone should resurrect that "Porkins in Episode 7" thread.
    What was even funnier than people joking around, were the people taking it seriously.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  6. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I agree, I meant more of a one liner like Obi-Wan's" Blast, this is why I hate Flying" line in AOTC during the asteroid chase. Han could be startled and attacked by IG-88 and then state the line.

7. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    But you're still missing my point: people shouldn't WANT to see that. Han Solo shouldn't even HAVE an action scene in this film (and you can't startle and attack Han Solo without causing a hell of an action scene, or you demean the character) because the film will have no time in which to do one; such a scene would take up at least five minutes or more of valuable screen time to both set up and resolve, in a film that's only about two hours long and will already have a hell of a lot on its plate from frame one. That's just time wasted, and for what? Just so someone can see a nothing-character like IG-88 attack Han Solo and make him quip about why he hates droids. That's not a good enough reason to have such a scene. Disney/LFL wouldn't and shouldn't waste that kind of screen time on Han Solo, because the film will not be enough about him to merit him having an action scene. It CANNOT be.

If you agree that the trilogy needs to be its own thing, why then undercut that basic need by insisting that the Big Three need action scenes that will make the film more about them when it shouldn't be? IT'S NOT THEIR TRILOGY. They've already HAD their trilogy. They've already had their chance to have action scenes. Their purpose in this film is to pass the torch, PERIOD.

If whatever new, younger characters have been devised are ever going to come to the fore, then the Big Three have to be as minimized as much as possible. I'm sure I don't have to remind people that one of the major problems with the EU was that it REFUSED to let the next generation of characters ever truly take the reins, and kept the Big Three on far longer than was necessary or helpful, and made them exact reproductions of their younger OT selves when it was plainly obvious that they couldn't be those people anymore and have us as readers believe it; why would we want the same from the ST when we've already seen that such an approach doesn't work?

This is why I'm challenging the idea that IG-88 should be in this film, or has any right to be. It's action-figure thinking: "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if IG-88 returned and attacked Han Solo and Han would make a joke and then go pew-pew-pew with his blaster?" Well, no, they shouldn't be making this film just so us fanboys can watch the scenes we acted out with our action figures when we were kids play out on screen, because it would utterly deface all the potential this new trilogy has to be a deeply engaging story in its own right. The ST catering to fanboys will be as destructive as was the PT catering to kids; either way, the result will be a bloody mess.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  9. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be great to have a whole movie of such lines. Like a tour guide, referencing anything that has been said in passing or mentioned in any way shape or form during PT/OT. The character would get in a situation, turn to the camera, his one hand pointing at the object in question and slowly, directly and explicitly explain to the audience the horrifyingly, painfully, insanely irrelevant piece of non-information.

"THIS is why Han Solo dislikes droids."
    "And THESE are the spice mines of Kessel."
    "And THIS is the bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell."
    "THIS is the descendant of the guy to who Luke sold his speeder."
    "Also, HERE is one of the moons of Bogden."
    "Wow, Chewie, look - THIS is the recording of the message where they notified Tarkin that the Emperor has dissolved the Council permanently!"

10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    And THIS is the cow that gives blue milk......

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    And THAT'S why you always leave a note (that the Jedi should stay away from the temple after Order 66)

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well now I hope VII has a narrator.

13. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Although, to be fair, we probably could have benefitted from someone saying, "and THIS is the actual text of the Prophecy of the Chosen One..." :p

14. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Ok fine! Then have IG-88 kill Han Solo, Lando and Chewie, then fly away with the Falcon and abduct Leia, which will Force Luke and the (New) Protagonist(s) (The Solo Kids) come and rescue her. Not only that but I want Bossk in the film too, and I want them to have a baby named Boss Nass T-69. And I want the fat dancing chick from ROTJ to be the Nanny and Ahsoka Tano to be the God Mother. Is that too much to ask?

Oh! Can you please explain again why the Big 3 shouldn't have any action scenes. I don't think I caught that. [face_dunno]

15. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I was really hoping that there would be a scene in the prequels where Anakin gets hit by an asteroid and nothing happens to him. As he brushes himself off, he could say, "I guess I don't need to be concerned about asteroids."

-Jedi Joe- and The Hellhammer like this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Meltdown post of the year! :p

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Holy fan rage Batman!

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with him completely that the Big 3 can and in all likelihood will have a few action scenes. Luke will almost certainly have a lightsaber duel at some point, Han could very well be involved in a battle scene, Leia could be involved in either as well. It won't take anything away from the new heroes as I'm sure they'll receive the majority of action scenes anyway.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  20. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

did you see the video of hamill from celebration europe 2?

poor guy looked horrible. i noticed his arm and hand was shaking and i thought maybe he has what j fox has and i hope im wrong

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes I did and I thought he looked fantastic. It's going to be a real treat to see him up on the big screen again.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I looked around YouTube for a bit, but I can't find any video where he's showing any Parkinson's Disease-type symptoms. What video is this?

23. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

watch his hand. maybe its me but i am still concerned

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    He had his hand on his knee and it vibrated when he was tapping his leg. That's all I saw in that video.

25. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Well, to be honest, during his time on the stage, he hinted quite a lot that he would be suffering from short term memory loss. At first, I thought he was joking, but he mentioned it 3 or 4 times so it kinda felt weird. I was worried.