main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bounty Hunters

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Padawan915, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    In the SW saga we have been introduced to a variety of different bounty hunters, in particular the Fetts. What do you feel of the Bounty Hunters and how they have been used in the movies so far? Let's try and discuss why the bounty hunters played such a big part in the SW universe that Lucas has created.

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Bounty Hunters are great characters to portray.

In terms of characterisation, they have straight-forward goals that can easily be explained - they hunt and/or kill creatures for money. With such basic motivation set up so easily, they can then have extra layers of depth layered on top if needed (such as Jango) or not (such as IG-88).

In terms of design, they're around to each have a unique visual look, so the creators can really go wild and try to think up interesting designs. The bounty hunters in the SW saga all have very strong visual looks, while all looking very different.

They look unique and have a different moral code from most characters - that's what makes them facinating.

Bounty hunters? We do need that scum.

3. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Bounty hunters are the bad guys you love to hate, and really the only reason there bad is cause there against the "Good" Guys.

Axl.

4. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

It is no surprise that Boba Fett is one of the most loved secondary characters in Star Wars... even though he doesn't do terribly much. ;)

5. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    He screams like a girl when he dies wenley. ;) At least Jango accepted his death with a little grace. :p

I like how the bounty hunters (and Hutts) add to the criminal side of the universe. Not everyone is a rebel/Imperial or republic/Separatist.

6. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I think the bounty hunters add a little more excitment to the movies.

I wish we got to see more bounty hunter action. Especially from those that we know nothing about.

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I like the bounty hunters, particularly what GL has done with Jango and Boba to add a new dimension to the father/son themes running through the Saga. They're like an offset version of Anakin and Luke, the sins of the father playing out through the life of the son and effecting the entire course of their story.

8. Big-Gooberfish

Big-Gooberfish Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2002
    The Bounty Hunters were put into the Star Wars saga because of GL's love of Westerns. He wanted gun slinging bounty hunters just like they had them in the Old Wild West! Yeeehaaw!

:)

J

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    The Bounty Hunters should be the best non-Jedi trackers/fighters in the Saga.

In the PT, there just isnt a need for Bounty Hunters by the Republic. The Jedi do all that is needed to track, to capture, to do all the legitimate 'dirty work'.

Once the Jedi are gone (by the time the story reaches the OT time), the Empire needs someone to do their dirty work. Their tracking, capturing enemies of the state, etc. The bounty hunters became perfect for that, hence their increased need in the OT.

10. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Bounty hunters are great characters just because they come in all shapes, most are powerful, and yet have no use of the force. Its also a great thing, because they don't do it for power, or reputation, they do it to further better their lives. Maybe selfish, but its more an occupation than a state of rank. Bounty hunters anf the Fetts always play a good role in my mind, simply because they don't care, they'll work with the empire or the rebellion. Just gimmie my damn Money....

11. Padawan915

Oct 1, 2002
    Let me chime in to help move my thread along ;)

I always liked the Bounty Hunters because they were a symbol of the silent assassin that personified cool. They're calculating, cool, tact and aren't afraid to stand up to authority. Honestly, who else other than Boba Fett would stand up to Vader? The Imperial officers are babies, yet Boba Fett stands up and shows some stones. I wonder why honestly, but it's cool regardless showing how gutsy the Fetts are.

12. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    These are all the major bounty hunters I can remember in the Saga so far.

Aurra Sing
    Zam Wessell
    Jango Fett
    Boba Fett
    IG-88
    Dengar
    4-LOM
    Zuckuss
    Bossk

Any views about these guys?

13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    You forgot Greedo!

14. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Bounty Hunters are just cool. Because they don't belong to any military their weapons and ships are of all different makes and have weapons n such of all different kinds

Even though they are pretty much bad guys; only because they end up working against the protagonist but bad guys none the less; you gotta love em cause they just look cool and guys like Fett just act cool

15. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Yes, how can anyone forget Greedo, that silly Rodian who shot first?? ;)

The bounty hutners add a certain rogue element to the population of the films. Individuals who either look cool, or operate within the galaxy by their own moral standard.

Jango is definitely the most complex of them all. I mean, how bad can a guy be if he just wants to raise his son in a rough galaxy? He's also the most three-dimensional of any bounty hunter we see.

They have a small, but necessary place in the SW Universe.

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Ooh, my favorite thread. I love bounty hunters, especially the Fetts. I love them because they're so mysterious. The odd thing is that no matter how much I learn about a bounty hunter, they still maintain their mysteriousness to me.

17. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I love bounty hunters as well. Bossk is the coolest one other than Boba Fett. I love the mystique about them as most are shrouded in mystery for the most part. They are also great because they have that don't mess with me aura about them.

18. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Damn, I did miss Greedo out. Oops.
    Okay...

Aurra Sing
    Zam Wessell
    Jango Fett
    Boba Fett
    Greedo
    IG-88
    Dengar
    4-LOM
    Zuckuss
    Bossk

19. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Aurra Sing
    Only seen for a second in TPM, she has a very surreal look and EU-material has helped to build her character up a lot, with the lightsabre collected and all.

Zam Wessell
    Zam was cool, I liked the old leather-style armour, it was almost medievil. The ability to shapeshift is also a very good ability for a bounty hunter to have.

Jango Fett & Boba Fett
    Come on. I don't need to explain this. The armour, the characters, the multitude of weapons.

Greedo
    The Rodians look odd but distinctive, shame Greedo was a bit too much of a rookie.

IG-88
    Assassin droid? Nice idea, although he looks a bit spindly and un-manoevreable, you can guess just how powerful and accurate he would be.

Dengar
    The headcowl helps make him seem more mysterious, and he's a big guy. Again, EU material has helped flesh him out.

4-LOM & Zuckuss
    An interesting team, 4-LOM looks like an insect version of Threepio and Zuckuss reminds me of Megalon from the old Godzilla films :D

Bossk
    Great look, the jumpsuit is strange but interesting, and he looks like he'd be tough to beat in close-combat.

There, that's what I think about them all :)

20. Padawan915

Oct 1, 2002
    Honestly, before Jango Fett came around I always liked IG-88, mainly because of the way he looked. But Jango's abilities and goodies on his suit were outright amazing. Thankfully he didn't get taken out in such a weak manner as his son did.

Honestly, who gets hit by a stick and then slips into a sarlacc pit? Weakest death ever.

21. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    At least Jango accepted his death with a little grace.

Well, he really didn't have a choice. He couldn't get out of it if he wanted to.

22. DrewskiAMK

DrewskiAMK Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    I don't think that you can count Greedo as a true bounty hunter. He was just an amateur and a "pawn", even if he didn't know it. He never did anything big like collect large bounties or make a big name for himself. Thus, he shouldn't even be counted.

23. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Problem is, basing it on film evidence, Greedo does more as a bounty hunter than, say, IG-88. EU material expands on this, but Greedo still deserves to be on the list IMO.

24. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I wish that we could get more out of the movies of the Bounty Hunters...

The are so revered, because they are brave, fearless individuals...

They get paid to do the dirty work, that the Law can't do.

25. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Yep, I think the jist is they almost have a strong enough cult following as compared to Jedi. :D Bounty Hunters were a great idea for the GFFA. You don't really hear about them anymore in our culture but their common in SW. :)

And each have induaviduality i.e. varying backstorys, cool ships, costumes, weapons, etc etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.