main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bowl for Kids Sake 2004

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Krash, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    not to mention helping the local kids out!
    That's the big thing to stress to anyone you mention donations to...this is a great cause, and we're just doing what we can to help.

Beltayn gave me some great ideas for fundraising...but I don't know if it's too late in the game to start them (this time) Michael, mind sharing with the rest of the class.

2. Beltayn

Beltayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    Don't mind if I do :cool:

I used to get involved with a lot of fundraising a few years ago. Some things worked, others didn't. I've mentioned previously the CSU Convocation Center (working a concession stand).

Other things we had done in the past were:

Peterson Nuts: If I remember right, they're still in downtown Cleveland on or near East 9th. Basically, you get order forms from the company (which have everything from chocolates, candies, popcorn, and yes-nuts), go around to family, neighbors, co-workers, ect. and take their orders, collect the money, and turn it in. The group gets half of the total money collected. The products are either delivered to a POC within the group, or picked up at the business.

Bake Sales: self-explanitory

Auctions: I don't know what sort of gatherings you guys have, but one way to generate funds is by auctioning off items. You'd be surprised at how much you can get (especially with SW-related stuff)

Garage Sales: With the weather warming up, these will be popping up all over the place. Get one central point, collect all your stuff, and have a one or two day sale.

All it takes is some time, patience and effort (the last being the most important)- and you can make some money.

3. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Just an FYI, Emily and Will, your last donations came from the Boston direction. My friend Scott (former Boston CR) made those generous donations in memory of a dear family friend that recently passed away.

4. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Well, tell him a BIG thanks, and my condolences to the loss of his family's friend.

5. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Thanks MaraJadeFan...you put me over the top!

Keep working guys, we've got little over 3 weeks to go, and from here on out...it's all bonus!!!

6. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, I'm over my goal now too!

7. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Thought everyone would like to know...we're ranked the 7th highest (4 being members of BBBS staff) team in terms of money raised at this point!

Only CSU Department of Student Life and Case Western School of Law are ahead of us!

Keep up the good work guys!!!

8. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I was wondering who that was...also tell him a VERY BIG THANK YOU!

9. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I was over at Cloverleaf Lanes today...nice place! I'll have directions later, but it's easy to find. They do have electronic scoring machines, and as the nice lady at the counter said "we do have plenty of pencils, for those who put 6+3=13" :D

I talked with BBBS, we're set for April 18th. We're scheduled to bowl from 3-5pm, and I told her since we're bringing a group of costumed characters for photo ops and publicity purposes...that we could be there a few hours early to help out in that regard. So what to you guys think about getting there at say 1pm? We can change into regular clothes...when it is time for us to bowl.

I've also had "first contact" with members of USS Gallifrey (a local Star Trek group) about the March 14th FORCE game (they would have liked to go)...and helping us with Bowl For Kids' Sake. We're sorting out the details...and we may have someone to bowl against on April 18th. Talk about a REBEL ALLIANCE!

I also scouted around for locations for our meeting afterwards, most places were unable or not interested...but the 2 floor McDonalds (on Rockside Road) is willing to set aside a portion of their upstairs for us to meet/eat/have our meeting (at no cost to us)

10. Beltayn

Beltayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    I never thought to ask this before, but...

What sort of costuming restrctions are in place for this event?

11. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    What sort of costuming restrctions are in place for this event?
    That's a good question...this is kinda new territory for us. We've gone places (lightsabers a plenty) but I think your basic E-11 blaster rifle should be enough; the T-21 blaster rifle may be a bit much?

I told BBBS, while we could be there for pictures (there will be kids at this event) that we could also help out with some of the registration and event stuff.

12. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Thanks DarthJurist!

13. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I just thought of this, should we try and pick up a couple little thigns (books, toys) to have BBBS give away as prizes to some of the bowlers? Last year, they were giving away t-shirts and stuff to "the next person to bowl a strike" or some kind of incentive to the participants...and the costuming people can be the ones to go over and present it to the winner.

I'm going to try and get a couple paperback books (Star Wars themed of course) When you're out and about...ask around if anyone would be willing to donate small SW items for us to give to Big Brothers Big Sisters (I have the document that we're official) if anyone needs a copy.

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    How's it coming guys? There is still time to find a few more donations.

Speaking of which, I got Joe Corroney to donate a few autographed pictures to B4KS! For those of you who don't know the name, he's the guy who does the artwork for "Star Wars Insider" (HoloNet News and CIS) and several other SW-related projects.

I'm working out the details with Corroney, and the folks from B4KS, but this is HUGE...and thanks to Mr Corroney for helping us support Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Greater Cleveland.

15. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Hey, did you ever get a response back about my question? I need to know soon to send in the money.

16. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Like I said on our website boards, I would be happy to thank Mr. Corroney in person next weekend when I see him at Empire Fan Fest. I will be representing Cleveland in my JKOC shirt on one of the days. If there's anything specific you'd like me to pass along, let me know! :)

17. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Just a note on "deadlines"...apparently we can collect donations as late as May; when the last of the B4KS events takes place (Cleveland Browns vs Cleveland Indians) So, don't panic about getting it in before next Sunday.

Rosie, like I said on the other board...by all means, thank him for us when you see him. He'd probably be happy to know people know what he did for the kids at BBBS-Cleveland.

Cindy, Eric...you guys going JEDI before we go bowling? Will do you want to bring your RoP costume...and be our SITH repreesntative?

I'm picking up a few jedi apprentice/quest books...to give to any kids at the event(on behalf of JKOC) If anyone finds some inexpensive toys (little stuff)...if you can, pick a few up as well

18. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Well I wouldn't mind dressing up in costume, but Bret has like most of my costume...

19. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    You can get it from me Friday nite at the shoot.

20. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I picked up a couple books (Rogue Squadron, Jedi Apprentice #1 and Jedi Quest #1)...plus we should be getting some stuff from one of swchick's friends in Boston.

Now all I gotta do is tell BBBS...that we're taking over the event ;)

21. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Ryno, I got the package you sent, with items for our raffle. OMG...YOU ROCK! Here's a rundown of what we got:
    * 2 Luke Skywalker vinyl figures
    * 38 Dark Horse comics (various titles)...all in mint condition
    * and the complete 4-issue ROTJ movie adaptation (1983) :eek: (those I'm going to shop around some comic books stores...I think I can get a better deal that way then at the raffle)

That and when the Joe Corroney pictures arrive...we're like set in terms of prizes!

Now what we need to do is tell EVERYONE...and I mean EVERYONE we can think of who would be interested in this stuff. Tell them we're raffeling these items at Cloverleaf Lanes on April 18th (1pm-4:30pm)

22. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Since I'll be gone all weekend at EFF, I want to wish you guys the best of luck on Sunday! I hope all goes well! :)

23. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I just visited the fundraising page, congratulations on going above and beyond. :)

Good luck on Sunday, I hope you bowl well and make little kids freak out with delight from the costumes.

24. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Cindy, I was at school today and actually remembered to print off forms. So I printed off one for donations to me, and another one with your name on it. Now I just have to remember to bring them with me to filming. 8-}

25. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes, good luck! I have a commitment earlier on Sunday but I will see if I can come to the meeting later. I'll be thinking of the team making all of those strikes! Right? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.