main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bowling for Kids Sake

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Ariadnae1, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    It is coming up to that time of year again. Since Laura, Jessica and I were so sucessful last year, I think we need to get more members involved. It was a great time, free pizza and drinks, and everyone won a prize. How can that be so bad???

I just e-mailed the BBBS people and hope to hear soon. This will be a topic at the next meeting, so be prepared to hear from me.

2. BithLord42

BithLord42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    Get me the dates and I'll ask for them off. It's just that I have to know 2 weeks in advance.

3. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    As soon as I know anything, I will post it here. They like to take their time e-mailing me back, but I am hoping to hear from them by the end of the week. Thanks for your interest Ryan, it really was a great time last year.

4. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    The dates are Friday night, November 5 starting @ 10 p.m. and Saturday, November 6 starting @ 10 a.m.

I think the Friday night one should be what we do again this year. It was fun last year, and we were done before midnight I believe.

Please everyone, make arrangements now for a fun time. When I get the pledge sheets, I will share with everyone. Hopefully at the next meeting, if not before.

5. BithLord42

Apr 18, 2003
    November 5th!!! Why that's the date time travel was made possible!!!

6. nordicgal

nordicgal Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    You can count me in, Erin.

Just a reminder to those who choose to bowl.....you will need to get pledges. This is how the organization makes the money for the kids. I know it can be a drag to ask people to pledge money, but if you tell them it's for a charity, most people will gladly help out with whatever amount they can.

I suggest asking family first and then friends and/or co-workers. Maybe your boss can make a corporate donation or match current donations. (Wal-Mart, McDonalds, anyone, anyone?) The amount to shoot for is $100 (at least).

I hope we get a big bunch this year. We had a blast last year!! Keep us posted, Erin.

7. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I really, really suck at bowling, but I could lend moral support, maybe...

8. BithLord42

Apr 18, 2003
    Dude, you don't have to bowl well. We all probably suck. It's just about helpin' kids man.

9. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Adam, you are so not getting away with it that easy. All you need to do is get people to donate 5 or 10 dollars and you can bowl however crappy you want. It is all about the kids, and the free pizza and soda man!!!

10. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    What I meant to say is that I really don't like bowling, but I wouldn't mind watching. It might be cool if you were rolling giant balls down the lanes trying to smash robots dressed like Indiana Jones, though. I could get into that.

11. DurfNader

DurfNader Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2004
    I HAD A BLAST LAST YEAR! I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT THIS YEAR. IF THE PLACE HAS NOT BEEN SET YET, THE BOWLING ALLEY AT THE EDWARDS THEATRE IS PRETTY GOOD. HOW ABOUT BOWLING IN COSTUMES-- GREAT ADVERTIZING, AND MORE FUN I THINK.

12. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    It will be at Bowl-ero, just like last year. I am all for bowling in costumes, but I won't be in one. I roasted my butt off last year in the sweater I wore, so I have learned my lesson.

13. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi all,

Just FYI, the Idaho Division of the 501st Alpine Garrison are making plans to be at Bowl for Kids' Sake in costume to support the IFSWA...no bowling (tough in vader armor or trooper armor) but "cheerleading"...

Hope that's ok...

14. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    That would be very nice doug. The only thing is, at least on friday night, there are no kids there. Just the adults that are bowling. There might be kids present on the Saturday morning time. Also, a lot of the other people bowling on friday night last year were kinda toasty, if you know what I mean.

I am not trying to discourage you guys, but I just wanted to let you know what the atmosphere was like.

Any support would be great.

15. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Also, I don't know about Saturday morning, but there was not TV or camera people there on Friday. I think the music was coming from a country station though. I am not sure.

16. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    hmmmm..ok, we'll take that under advisement....our thought was that if there was media coverage, we might help draw attention both to the event and to both clubs...but it sounds like that might not be the case...maybe we'll show up in Garrison T shirts or something...

17. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    that would be cool, because then you could bowl. and if you go around in your gear and get pledges, you could bowl under the Garrison name and that would look good too.

18. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Heeeeyyy.....I just had an idea (surprising, no?)...

Anyway, how soon will we have the pledge sheets if we get a team or two together?

I was thinking maybe we could get pledges at the DVD release.....

19. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    I am hoping to have the paperwork and stuff by the next meeting. They told me I would get it as soon as the have it.

Getting pledges that way might be a good way, but I am not sure. They really like it if you can get the money ahead of time. Like most of my people last year gave me 10 bucks or so. That way, they have the money when you bowl, and then no one will back out on them. Since this is for a charity, it is nice to do all you can to make it easier for them. But, if people are willing to give you $5 bucks or more at the DVD release, then that would be awesome. I guess it never hurts to try.

20. Darth_Sayder

Darth_Sayder Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2004
    How about we get a large jar, and set it up on the recruiting table for donations?

21. BithLord42

Apr 18, 2003
    I'm a little confused, how does the pledging work? Do they just donate some money, or do they pledge money per score or something like that?

22. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Ryan,

They can do either. It is easier if you can just get people to pledge a flat rate though, that way you can collect it, and not make the BBBS people do it.

MIke,

That might be a good idea.

23. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    All this talk about bowling reminds me that I need to watch The Big Lebowski again.

24. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    I am going to sign up people at the October meeting. If you want to participate, please come to the meeting or get with me so I can give you a pledge sheet.

Remember, this is for the kids. And Kids ROCK!!!

25. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Just a reminder. We will be bowling on Friday, November 5 at Bowlero. WE will be there at 10pm. If anyone wants to come cheer us on, they can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.