FF:NZ Boy, am I glad I changed ISP's..............

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Norrad_Roff, Feb 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norrad_Roff Force Ghost

star 4
    Had some grief recently with my ISP.

I'm not going to name names, but they start with an "I".

Joined up with one that starts with a "P" and man what a difference!!!

Web-pages load up faster, audio and video streaming doesn't take as long, no 'busy' signal when the network is clogged up.

And most of all, I can get remote access to my Polytech e-mail from home (at long last).

Just a rant really. Anyone else having ISP problems?
  2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    hey! I changed from an I to a P too a year or so back.

I'm with Paradise, changed from IBM.net when it got taken over by bellAT&T. Everyone had to change email addresses!

I told them to stick it. And thank goodness. Paradise is excellent!

On IBM I could only connect at about 38k and was usually paying $60/month, Paradise is almost always 50k, $20/month and a free 10 MB website too!

:D

Admittedly IBM was great when I was travelling across the US, as there were local dialup numbers in every city, so checking email was a breeze.
  3. Norrad_Roff Force Ghost

star 4
    My "I" had a feel good part to it's name.

Like "cuddle". ;)
  4. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, the ISP thread - "I" users "S"witch to "P". :)

I'm using that "I" too (not IBM). It's not bad where I am in Auckland - no real problems. I always get in first try and almost always at 50k on my 56k modem. Although they have been using a "transparent" proxy recently which has caused a few hiccups.

Except the Usenet Newsserver is UTTERLY HOPELESS. They "upgraded" it over a year ago and it's been bombing out ever since - despite dropping "unused" binaries newsgroups (but leaving all the x-rated ones of course). :(

I've been thinking of changing to "P" as well (my brother switched a while back), but I can't really be bothered changing all the mailing lists, etc.

Maybe I'll switch when faster connections become REASONABLY priced, ie. less than $30 per month.
  5. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    i use ihug here, its kinda slow, and crappy, but that may just be the fact that i am deep in a rural area, they were ok when i used to live in dunedin
  6. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    $30 flat fee for broadband? How long do we have to wait for THAT?

Me, I use "Z". It is "free", and right now it's a 44k connection on my 56k modem. Not too bad for a free ISP. :)
  7. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

As far as I can see Telecom's monthly extra charge for a broadband connection is a nonsense - after the initial (and minor) setup, you're still using the exact same phone line, exchange, etc. as you were before. :(
  8. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    what type of broadband are we talking? ADSL?

ADSL (i.e Jetstream or Jetstart) has several advantages, you only need one phone line, can be connected to the net all the time, and talk on the phone or even use a second dial up modem while connected.
    Also the speed is great, lag free gaming fast downloads (megs per min on my jetstart connection using download accelerator)and great streaming audio and video.

Startup costs are higher as you need to purchase a new modem and pay telecom fees, but it must be remembered that each jetstream connection has its own socket/port to connect to at an exchange, and there is also a filter required to be fitted to the demarcation point at your house.

Fees are fairly reasonable if you look at it from the point that to do the same thing with dial up you would need 2 phone lines.

cost for Jetstart is $29.95 p/month + fees charged by your ISP, which are usually around $20 for unlimited access
  9. SWNZ Jedi Master

star 4
    I have "P's" Jetstream! :cool: Well actually work does but that's where my PC is so technically it's mine.
  10. Norrad_Roff Force Ghost

star 4
    I looked into getting a broadband connection, but it was going to cost too much for my meagre (sp?) budget. :(

Like any "new" technologies, when everyone gets it, it will get cheaper.

Maybe in a couple of years, but in the meantime 'Paradise' is not lost. (for me anyhoo)
  11. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4
    Darth_Graal: cost for Jetstart is $29.95 p/month + fees charged by your ISP, which are usually around $20 for unlimited access

But does that include the normal phone line charges, or are they on top of this as well??
  12. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    thats on top of normal phone line charges, just like dial up you need a phone line, but when you consider the alternative to get to be able to use the phone and internet @ the same time, you're looking @ $30-40 for your phoneline x 2 + $20 - 30 for unlimited 56 k access, the costs are almost the same.

eg:

Jetstart128 unlimited access $49.95 + phone $40.29 p/m = $90.24 p/m

2 phone lines $80.54 + $20-30 p/m for unlimited 56k access = $100.54 to $110.54 p/m

Much better solution for home users who want to be able to recieve calls while someone is surfing. so there ya are kiddies get mum and dad to fork out and you'll be sweet!
  13. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    40 is stuff all, we used to pay 45 a month for ihug unlimited in 99, while being a student, i'd pay that
  14. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    ADSL Modems have gotten heaps cheaper too $279+gst for an internal, which is about what you used to pay for a decent 56k a no too many years ago.
    A word of caution though once you try it you won't want to go back!!
  15. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

Nope, still MUCH too expensive.

At the moment I'm only paying $30 per month to "I" plus the normal Telecom phone charges for one line - so that's almost half the cost (although no phone at the same time, but that's no big loss).

I still don't see why Telecom charge an extra amount on top of normal phone charges - there's a couple of extra bits in the set-up of the ADSL connection, but it's still the same physcial line, etc.
  16. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    no because it doesn't work like dial up modems, there is work that needs to be done at the exchange, with dial up you can take your pc anywhere and plug it into a phoneline, with jetstream etc it is a line specific service i.e. It will only work from the line it is set up on!
    You basically have a personal connection at the exchange via a dslam that allows your ADSL connection access.
  17. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

Oh well, maybe Telecom can charge more then, but it's still too expensive - I'll wait until it's WAY cheaper. :)
  18. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    I've got only one line. Any calls could wait in the Call Minder box! :)
  19. StarWarsLoverNZ Jedi Padawan

I'm with Paradise too. Used to be with Clear. Paradise is great.
  20. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    Who's sueing Telecom?
  21. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

What was i4Free is taking Telecom to court. The same people run the Slingshot ISP, and I think they already won an earlier case against Telecom, but I'm not sure.
  22. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    PCworld just blasted telecom for its asdl service, worth reading the article......basically they say we pay through the nose here in nz, and in return we get unrealistice caps......400, 0r 600 mb is stuff all really, if you got 2mbs
  23. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

They tend to say that in every country about their own broadband providers - except perhaps in America. :)
  24. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    you could be right, but still 400mb is stuff all........anyone tried that jetstart service from telecom?
  25. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I think Jetstart has a MAX speed of ~100kbps - that's just 2x a standard 56kb modem.

It's not broadband as far as I'm concerned...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.