1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (21-23rd November) | Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:NZ Boy, am I glad I changed ISP's..............

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Norrad_Roff, Feb 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    i heard 128kbs, damm i'd pay 50 for that....if it was unlimited, it would do in lieu of real broadband
  2. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    I wouldn't pay 50 for that even if it's unlimited usage. I'd pay 40 for unlimited broadband AND cable TV. :D But internet in NZ is so goddamn expensive! :mad:
  3. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    I have jetstart, speed is 128k, downloads take approx 1 meg per min but even faster if ya use download accelearator. Also if playing games via jetstream servers ya get jetstream speed.
    From personal experience don't go near jetstream if ya use file sharing software as you'll blow through 400 megs real quick.

I couldn't go back to standard 56 k now it feels like snail speed.
    Keep an eye out as telecom may be releasing other speed/cap options. eg 256k with 10 gig cap etc
  4. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

I've just been reeading my latest UK Mac computer magazine. Evidently they were expecting a drop in the price of ADSL there at the beginning of this year.

The brief article says they were going to be getting "Do-it-yourself" ADSL installation kits (ADSL adaptor and modem) for about £50 (~NZ$170), instead of the British Telecom installation charge of £150 (~NZ$507).

Plus their whoelsale price was going to drop as well - from £35 (~NZ$118) to £30 (~NZ$100), so they "could expect to pay roughly £40 (~NZ$135) a month for ADSL access".

Good grief!! Maybe Telecom NZ aren't that bad after all ... then again! :(
  5. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    You can't compare $NZ to UK£ like that.

Average wage here = $30,000

Average wage in England = £30,000

Basically you can expect to see things in the UK costing the same in pounds as you'd see in dollars here.

It's all relative, unless you're visiting NZ or working in London and sending money home.
  6. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope - that's just nonsense the economists make up to try so you think you're better off.

PotJ Star Wars figures cost about $20 here. In the UK they cost £6 (~NZ$20).

See. :)

If the average UK wage was £30,000, then that's ~NZ$100,845 - NOBODY would be left in this country. The average UK wage is more like £10,000 (~NZ$33,620).
  7. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    I read it somewhere things in UK are really expensive. Don't know which country they were comparing that too, though.
  8. Norrad_Roff Force Ghost

star 4
    Things in the UK are expensive compared to everywhere...................
  9. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

Nope. :)

There are some items that cost more in some places thanks to added costs like shipping and availability, but most things cost more or less the same everywhere you go in the "modern world" countries.

10. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    And that's the problem. If you want to order the OT soundtrack from the US, it's gonna cost a LOT. Or you could just get them from Real Groovy, which I suspect is no cheaper. Unless they have seconhand ones. :(
  11. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd say it would be cheaper to go with Real Groovy or Borders, as even new, they would still be cheaper than ordering from overseas.

If you don't want the entire soundtracks from all three movies, but just a collection of the main themes, they put out an awesome CD called 'The Skywalker Symphony' or something like that. It was to commemorate the opening of Skywalker sound - the recording studio facilities owned by GL.
  12. Norrad_Roff Force Ghost

star 4
    [homer_simpson] By the way I was being sarcastic. [/homer_simpson] ;)
  13. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    We should do the Big Mac test to compare NZ to British currency.

Off to FFUK...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.