main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Broom Boy (Temiri Blagg)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RyanForder, Dec 14, 2017.

1. anabanana_kenobi

anabanana_kenobi Jedi Knight

May 16, 2016
    I liked the scene - it showed that Luke's sacrifice accomplished what he said it would.
    I do fear, though, that Episode 9 will now be a big battle between competing armies of force users - it'll be more Marvel/X-Men than Star Wars.

Uncivilized likes this.
  2. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    As anabanana_kenobi mentions in the post below yours, it was the perfect ending for the "spark of hope" theme that the entire movie is built on, and a massive payoff for Luke.

I am thinking more of a galactic uprising against the First Order, not necessarily with all of them using the force or being trained force users. The spark turns into a flame and a raging fire in Episode IX.

3. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    Am I the only one that got a Harry Potter vibe at the end of the movie?

dan1210 likes this.
  4. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

the music there definitely supports that vibe (and the broom, I guess)

5. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    If RJ just HAD to put that in the movie, he could have easily done it as Finn/Rose were leaving Canto Bight. It was sooo ham-fisted putting it at the end of the movie.

dan1210 likes this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah i got the point. that's why i thought is was fine. also it reflects all the kid's with their sw action figures and the power of imagination.

7. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Wait what? You didn’t see the kid force grab the broom?

8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Which was absolutely the worst thing they could do, IMO.

zam wesell2005 likes this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no.

10. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    I don't think the scene necessarily showed that force-sensitive beings are common. It's already been established that they are spread out across the galaxy in the PT. What it shows to me is that they are still out there. For about 60 years now there have been no Jedi scouring the galaxy for force sensitive children. The time has arrived to find them all.

B3 and Sarge like this.
  11. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    IMO he's Rey's parents.:p

cwustudent, MoffJacob and jimtalkbox like this.
  12. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    I loved that ending scene. If anything, it told the audience that the rebellion will be won by a bunch of nobodies who have extraordinary power. Whether they be force sensitive or not. Rey is a nobody and she is a part of the spark that will bring the First Order down. The spark will inspire countless nobodies.

Great ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. General Jedi

General Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 19, 2017
    Yea it shouldn't have been the ending scene. Or a main scene at all. Just something that happens in the background of a conversation scene or something similar. Noticeable but not the main focus of the scene. Could've turned it into a pretty good Easter egg if done properly. Still can. We would've talked about it until the next movie. Instead most fans feel like they'll never address it after watching them barely address other Easter eggs and cliffhangers.

jimtalkbox likes this.
  14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    They could have. RJ did the tilted crawl, no "bad feeling" etc so he could have also dispensed with the musical montage close (and largely did anyway) but it does give the Canto Bight sequence a bit more... wait for it.... bite! :p

But the movie was thematically so much about leaving the past behind which meant one thing to Kylo who wants to kill it while Luke let's it go (which was what he did in ROTJ) that it makes thematic sense to not do the standard (though awesome endings) that Star Wars does.

It plays with the framework without throwing the frame totally away.

Thing about this "nobody" angle is that every character that we ever meet with the Force outside of the Skywalkers is a nobody.

Only the Skywalkers can trace themselves directly back to the Force in that way from Anakin to Luke and Leia and then Ben.

Everyone else from Rey to Mace, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon et all are "nobodies" because the Force didn't bring them into existence in that direct way (however exactly Anakin was created by the midi-chlorians, the Force, the Sith).

B3 likes this.
  15. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I thought the scene was powerful and symbolic. On one hand, it serves the purpose of showing that the fire for a new rebellion has indeed been lit and is spreading. The underrepresented, the mistreated, and the oppressed will come to answer the call for help and rally together in the near future.

Second, shortly before he used the force to pull the broom, it showed the kids reveling in the legend of Luke Skywalker as they acted out the showdown with Kylo & Hux.

And most importantly, it showed that, like Ren (and Anakin), great power can be born in any corner of the galaxy.

There is a great quote by the great running coach Arthur Lydiard:
    I was instantly reminded of that quote when I saw that scene.

There are potential heroes in every village, on every planet, in every system in the galaxy.

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I have a feeling the Canto Bight boy will be the star of Rian's new trilogy...

MoffJacob and dekaneas like this.
  17. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Star Wars: The Brothers Broom

Siphonophore likes this.
  18. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005

Same kid with the Anakin-like 'woohoo' when the horses got loose right? Very sweet. I wouldn't dwell too much on him to be honest

19. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    More like: If you're not a rebel when you're young you don't have a heart but then you grow up and get a mortgage...
    [​IMG]

Darth Smurf and Sarge like this.
  20. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    He was there to let everyone know there are Force Sensitives still out there in the Galaxy. Some will find the Jedi & some may find the Darkside.

21. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Rian wanted the kid to force push the broom into Finn's hands (since he's the best a cleaning and sanitation), but that would have required reshoots since Finn was on Crait at the time.

22. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    He will be the main starring role/hero of the "rushedly greenlighted" Rian "Overrated" Johnson Trilogy (perhaps the first SW movies I'll not bother to watch)
    my personal bet

dan1210 likes this.
  23. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I understood the significance of the scene, but IMO it was more of an "after the end credits" scene and not something a SW movie should end on.

thejeditraitor and MoffJacob like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Remember all the talk about the ST being about knighthood? The boy reminded me of the conversation between King Arthur and a young page at the end of the film Camelot. Arthur was facing the final battle, expecting to be overwhelmed by the dark forces of Mordred, and chatting with the young boy who told him he knew all about the wonderful Knights of the Round Table and how they stood for Right over Might. Arthur took heart from the boy's words and shouted, "I have already won this battle! This boy is my victory!"

The boy on Canto Bight was Luke's victory.

25. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

Well, evidently it IS something a SW movie should end on because it just did.

run_luke_run and Varouneire like this.