main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Brütal Legend (the next game from Double Fine, featuring Jack Black)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    The demo was a riot! Will be picking this game up. However, I am iffy on the camera from playing the demo, so I hope it's fixed in the final release. Adjusting the camera is common in all games, but in the demo I was adjusting it every second since it doesn't follow you.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Picked this up today. It's one of the funniest games I've played in ages. [face_laugh] I also love how the game starts with a live action short of Jack Black showing you the "secret" Brutal Legend LP in a record store which leads into the game.

I love the open world aspect of it too, I wasn't expecting such a large game.

3. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    seriously zac, what kind of disposable income do you have? This AND Uncharted 2 on release day? What do you do as a job?

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I traded some old games for Uncharted, so didn't spend that much. I don't do anything special, just a full time worker without any dependends.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Curious if the issue raised by Penny-Arcade via Kotaku has a noticeable impact (in that they had to issue a press release to tell to people how to play the game not as an RTS despite RTS game mechanic designs) on the game?

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well I've just had my first "stage battle". This is the so-called RTS element, where you construct a rock stage near geysers that stream souls of metal fans (resources).

Once you've built "merchandising booths" that gather the fans, you select units to spawn from your pool of resources and rush into battle. It all remains in third person, not the traditional RTS angle, so it doesn't really feel like an RTS. Think of it more like Overlord, but once your units have spawned you can give them basic squad commands such as attack, defend or follow.

It does make it more difficult to get an overall picture of how the battle is going though. I had to stop fighting and find higher ground so I could see where all my units were and what extra units needed spawning.

It's not as bad and disjointed as people make out, I think it flows fine with the rest of the game. As for the different units; so far I've only unlocked the head bangers, razor girls (who are constantly spraying their hair to keep it in style), and the guy from Motorhead, who rides a trike and heals other units.

It's an amazing world for a game, I've never seen anything like it. Everything fits so perfectly - the scenery, the music, the art style, and Ozzy. I never thought I'd hear a brummie accent in a video game. [face_laugh]

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This game ROCKS!!! Pun intended! I was playing this game nonstop all weekend and am currently towards the end of the game (I'm assuming). I just reached The Sea of Black Tears. The RTS elements are probably my least favorite part of the game though. The big battles are entertaining but I much prefer just riding around in the Deuce, blasting Metal, and kicking ass wherever I see fit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this game has one of the greatest soundtracks for any game I've ever played. No matter what song comes on, I enjoy it. If you like heavy metal (or even just used to) you will enjoy this game for the music alone. I've heard that there are over 100 songs but I've only got 71% of the songs so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.