main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Brag About Your Car Here

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I got the 2.3L 4 cyl turbo.

As for the carbon fiber drive shafts, I've done some work on planes with CF parts, and I have more faith in that stuff than I do in aluminum. It's tougher, it's lighter, it damps vibration better, it's quieter.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Swapping out the resonator for a smaller one and the rest of the exhaust is going to change your exhaust note, maybe pretty significantly, and possibly increase the cabin noise. Dumping it all together is an option too, but considering it's a road car I doubt you're considering that.
    Sure, but planes aren't exactly kicking up rocks and other junk into their own under carriage or have the possibility of high centering or damaging that piece of carbon fiber. And in the sense that if the drive shaft is damaged, a CF shaft has the possibility of becoming fibers where as the aluminum one might still be able to be limped home. I get what you're saying since it's more or less a woven composite material, but generally the weight savings between the two isn't going to be that much in contrast to going from steel to either aluminum or CF, assuming you're purchasing quality parts. And I highly doubt you're going to be putting enough power through your drive train to actually cause a drive shaft to shatter. Either choice is going to make the drive shaft a wear and tear item since from what I've observed, the more exotic the material the shorter the service life.

So in short, if a CF shaft fails it fails in a pretty catastrophic way where as an aluminum shaft is more likely to yield a little bit more before total failure where it would shatter. Most of the CF shafts I've seen fail, have their failures at the yokes, usually the end connecting the transmission to the drive shaft or in the case of Corvettes the engine end of the propshaft. Regardless, on a Mustang if you're doing anything that shocks the drive train where the strength of a drive shaft is concerned you're going to want to consider a drive shaft loop as a precaution.

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I drive a mini van, a purple one, it has a cassette deck in it.

I buy cassettes to listen to in my purple mini van. It's better than having a portable cd player with the cassette extension, that skips too much cuz the cds tend to get scratched.

Whenever I see someone else with a purple mini van, I tell them they have a nice ride. It takes a second for them to realize it, but it's a funny little moment.

I drive a purple mini van.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    jabberwalkie

Yeah, changing the exhaust note is definitely going to happen. That's a good thing. I don't like the sound of my engine much at all. There's lots of YouTube video clips where you can compare stock and aftermarket exhaust sounds. Right now I'm leaning toward the BMRP street catback for the ecoboost.

I hear what you're saying about damage to CF parts, and I was hesitant for those reasons. But I've talked to people who are very happy with their CF driveshafts, and for the driving that I do the risks should be minimal. And if I'm wrong, well, I'll have to get a tow and replace it. I can live with that. At least I'll know that it didn't work out for me, and I'd rather do that than not try it and just wonder if it would have been awesome.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yesterday I had the rare opportunity to park my Mustang next to a car cooler than mine.

[​IMG]

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had a Beetle that color. Wasn't a convertible tho.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, me too. Mine was a 73, and not nearly that pretty. Ton of fun to drive.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Beetles I have driven: 1963, green. Dad taught me to drive stick on this one. He used it as his train station car. Early 70s - a few. Orange Super Beetle (that lasted til I could see road through the floor). Blue regular Beetle. Dad sold it to a then-boyfriend when the engine died. Then-boyfriend knew a Russian mechanic who dropped a Porsche 914 engine in it. Boyfriend had money problems, sold it back to Dad. I used it to commute to work and it was lots of fun to blow past sports cars on the Merritt Parkway. Had a guy in a 'Vette follow me to ask what was in it at the first traffic light we hit. Yellow Beetle after Dad gave blue Beetle to sister. (She eventually sold it to a roommate and that was its exit from the family.) In 1985 I traded yellow Beetle in and bought a brand new Golf. It's still running strong today, although not on the same continent I bought it on.

Sarge and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My dream car will always be a Mini Cooper even though those basically disintegrate in an accident.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Only in America would Wonder Woman rock this ride.

[​IMG]

11. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Did I mention that my 4 cylinder Ford Escape sounds like a Mustang thanks to a muffler repair done the cheap way? I love my muscle mini SUV.

Sarge and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I finally got the oil separator catch-can installed on my PCV line. That should keep my turbo from getting gummed up. Also ordered new rims and summer tires which should be here in about 3 weeks.

Iron_lord and jabberwalkie like this.
  13. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I used to have a 2002 Mini Cooper until the transmission went. Stupid sealed transmission. Amazing little car. We had a lot of fun together. I used to kayak, and the kayak was longer than the car by a little. I hauled all kinds of stuff in it, too. Feed, saddles, etc. I think it was one of the first new Minis to reach the USA. In the only appropriate color... British racing green with black bonnet stripes. Replaced it with a 2012 Mini Cooper. Also a great little car. And....the mood lighting! Little LED lights in the interior that can either cycle between colors or stay one color.

The new Minis are really pretty solid. They're still made in the UK, but Mini is now owned by BMW. You really feel that in the design of the car.

SergeyX2017 and Sarge like this.
  14. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    [​IMG]My neighbors car. I'm jealous.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I didn't know you live in Hazzard County.

Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    YEEEEEE HAAAAAWWWWW

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Because it has a racist roof?

18. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Not that I'm aware of.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You're not aware of its racist roof or that's not the cause of your jealousy?

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Who's a winner with two thumbs? This guy!

My answer to the weekly Car Talk puzzler was picked at random from the thousands of more-or-less correct answers to this puzzler: http://www.cartalk.com/puzzler/metal-helmet-mystery

I won an official individually numbered Car Talk Staff parking permit for the Car Talk Plaza in Hahvahd Squayah, Cambridge, Ma. (For those of you unfortunate enough to not know about Car Talk, there is no such place as Car Talk Plaza. But the permit amuses me and the blue color looks good on my car.)
    [​IMG]

21. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Isn't Car Talk basically NPR's version of Jalopnik, except more refined because it's not Jalopnik?

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    jabberwalkie, I don't know Jalopnik. I do know the Car Talk guys would laugh uproariously at being referred to as "refined." They used to sign off with the line, "You're listening to NPR, but it's usually much better than this."

23. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, unless Car Talk uses **** or **** other expletive terms in their articles I'd say they're probably a cut above.

BTW, Jalopnik for you reading pleasure... Or pain. I think it used to be under the Gawker umbrella, one of dp4m favorite sites IIRC.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Car Talk is in rerun land? The puzzlers are still going on?

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I Are The Internets, they're still doing puzzlers on the website. The show has been in rerun since Tommy suddenly died. There was a great tribute show for him.

Iron_lord likes this.