main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Brag About Your Car Here

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Nov 11, 2016.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I've driven a lot of manuals, and probably my favorite manual I drove are the transmissions Getrag makes for BMW and VW (Ender Sai they make the manuals for them, no?). Though I did find the throws in the the VW to be a little longer than I preferred. I had to replace the transmission in my 350Z not long after I bought it. It was an awful transmission, and that's probably the start of my grievances with that car.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    oh god, the 350 Zed. My brother had one. The tyres, that racing clutch, the gearbox... All of it.

Looks beautiful, and with some speed it drives beautifully. But a hassle and a half.

3. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I love the lines of the car, but Christ... The clutch and clutch chatter I can live with, but the brakes sucked and the viscous LSD instead of a clutch type just killed me.... Mine was also a 2003 model, and the AC compressor went out. Little known fact but there are two different versions of the AC compressor on the 2003 models, and they switched mid production for that year. Mine being the earlier of the two was, of course, the more expensive of the two versions.

I really like the lines of the 370z, but I just can't subject myself to buying another Nissan product.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I think my brother was the same. His first two cars were 270Z Datsuns before the 350Z then the Merc.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I dated a guy who drove a silver 280Z. It was noisy and a bit of a gas hog from what I remember but it was a pretty car.

6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah, I found that many Nissans (like the Murano) are very easy on the eyes, but not so easy on other things (like your wallet).

7. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    The Murano was the first of Nissan's vehicles I drove with their CVT in it. Pass. Hard pass.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Interesting. Hyundai nowadays uses what they call "shiftronic" to allow drivers to switch between automatic and manual (minus clutch). It seems to have decent reviews and I think it works well, but admittedly I learned to drive with automatic.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's nothing new, most European luxury cars* have had this for close to 15 years. I remember learning to drive dad's 540i back in the day and it had the paddles for shifting but would auto-shift if you forgot.

@jabber-walkie -

http://www.mybluefin.com.au/search?make=38&fueltype=3&model=465&variant=2108

Specs Original Increase
    Horse Power 207 bhp 44 bhp
    Torque 280 nm 73 nm

Or, Stage 2, with additional components:

Specs Original Increase
    Horse Power 207 bhp 75 bhp
    Torque 280 nm 153 nm

The MkVI Golf R produced 271 bhp, so... tempting...

10. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Ender's right. The German manufactures have had that for quite some time. And really that's an automatic that you can control the gears somewhat. Stay in the gear for too long at too high of an RPM and the computer will shift for you. Porsche's tiptronic does the same thing, just like BMW's steptronic. Functionally different from a PDK, SMG, or DCT.

CVT=Continuously Variable Transmission.
    Looks like track car material to me, perhaps some hoonage.

11. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i drive a limited edition honda corolla. it's one of a kind.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I once bought a Viper which I wish was a bragging point. But, upon reflecting on the irrational cost of the car in question, I promptly sold it back to the Dodge dealership at a loss. What I truly bought was wisdom earned through experience.

Read that last line in our non-existent sappy font.

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've never heard anyone complain about the old Vipers. Dodge does make them again, right? Iirc the model was on hiatus for a while.

14. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Dodge ended production this year. Most complaints were around the side exhaust and people burning themselves exiting the vehicle. The older models also have some interesting quirks about them, and good luck finding tires for them as well on the original wheels.

The original run also had zero electronic aids and no ABS. I can't remember who and which one it is, but one of the racing/performance driving schools was started when a friend of the founder died in a Viper crash because he got in over his head.

Edit: And because it's relevant, the original Viper exemplified the meme, "traction control? You mean bitch switch."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've heard from many people that Gremlins were the worst/ugliest cars in existence. Is that true, or is there something much worse?

16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Have you never seen a Pontiac Aztek?

Ezio Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The AMC Pacer was a real eyesore.

yankee8255 likes this.
  18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Don't hate on the Mirth Mobile. Which btw, was for sale not long ago. ;)

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Ezio Skywalker the Viper is headed out of production for good after this model year

20. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Just flipped back to this, but depending on the ramps you might want to check they are graded enough so you don't mess up the bumper cover on the lower portion.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Yeah, that'd be embarrassing. Not to mention expensive.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    IATI, funnily enough "the ugliest cars ever" and "American cars over the years" are basically the same list.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I hit a deer with my new car. :( Thank God it was already dead, just a brown lump that showed up in my headlights as I came over the top of a hill. Didn't have enough room to stop or veer around it, so I just went right over it, missed the wheels, heard a thump under the floorboards. Next day I rolled up on ramps and looked underneath, no damage, and a tuft of brown and white fur stuck in the chassis.

Iron_lord and yeurgh like this.
  24. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, at least it didn't end with a call to your insurance company and time in the body shop.

Last deer I hit, I was doing around 60 mph in the middle of no where and there was no cell reception. Pretty much broke the body/bumper cover, headlight assembly, and left front quarter panel on the car (2013 Fusion, use it for work). Fortunately, the car was otherwise mechanically functional. Just had to listen to the plastic under tray flap against the underside of the car until I got to where I could call the insurance company, then another hour home.

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's a really nice 2016 Uber. It comes with a chauffeur and everything.