main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Brainstorming Darth Maul's Survival

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Maul has never been emntioedn outside of TPM. In fact, he has hardly even been mentioned in other SW media (aka the EU). This is surprisingly uncommon, as the EU usually goes into sickening detail about each and every character who had at least 1 millisecond of screentime. The Force Unleashed video game was alsointially supposed tobe aboutMaul first,but the idea was vetoed by Lucas. (thankfully, as the video game was, in my opinion, average. Nothing compared to the increadible Jedi Knight series)

Allofthis makes me think (ok more like fantasize) that Lucasis deliberately preserving Maul's mystique perhaps for the return of the character someday. The clone wars animated series and the upcoming live action t.v. series especially could be goodplaces to bring Maul back IMO. Another way could be to do a prequel-prequel movie (episode 0). Or even further episodes (7,8,9)

Now we need to brain storm ways in which Maul could hypothetically return. Here is what I have:

-Maul never died. What Obi-Wan actually dismembered in TPM was a force-created illusion of Maul that the zabrakconjured using the darkside. Since he used the darkside Obi didnot detect it as an illusion in the force. Maul didthis in thesplit second Obi's back was turned as he leapt over Maul; the real Maul then used the force to leap/dash away into a shadowy corner. This is why the 'Maul' that is dismembered has his lightsaber in the other hand.

Why did Maul do this?

Basically he secretly disagreed with Sidious's plans to stage a great reveal and bring theSith outinto theopen. In Maul's opinion Sidious was going against the true way of the Sith. Thus he faked his death and headed out into the unknown regions of the galaxy to take up and apprentice and continue the sith tradition of 1 master, 1 apprentice.

Thoughts?

2. EmeraldBlade

EmeraldBlade Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2008
    It is not worth brining him back. Kun came back but he was a Master whilst Maul was just an apprentice who lost to another apprentice.

Let some weirdos clone him for some nonsensical reason or just write him in as a ghost of some sort.

3. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Bringing Maul back would be pointless.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d9/Vadermauls.JPG]

Maul's return as a Dopplegänger has already been confirmed.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    When was it confirmed that what Vader fought was a Doppelganger? Last I had heard, all we knew was that something which looked like and believed itself to be Maul fought Vader.

6. Tyber_Zahn

Tyber_Zahn Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 20, 2008
    Maul actually used the dark side to keep himself alive and later managed to graft a pair of cyborg legs to his torso, before setting off to hunt Obi-Wan. Though of course this isn't strictly canon.

7. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not that Old Wounds isn't 'strictly canon', it's that Lucasfilm has said it's not canon. Of course, that's not to say someone can't accept it as canon as there are some Infinities stories which I think should be canonized.

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Resurrection was selected as one of Star Wars Insider 83's 20 Most Memorable Moments of the Expanded Universe, with Leland Chee confirming its canonicity on his blog. Wookieepedia

story
    Keeper of the Holocron's Blog
    by: Leland Y Chee

'Darth Maul (clone or Sith magic or something) [Tales #9]
    A version of Darth Maul is back long enough to have a Maul vs. Vader showdown.'

resurrection

9. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    If he were to get brought back, logically it should be with both his physical haves, not with some droid legs. I assume that droid parts are only used if the missing body part is either missing or extremely damaged.

To use a differant idea, they could just have some droid retrieve both body halves before they becomes too unviable, and put him in cryofreeze so they can fix him later. He could come back secretly, or he could end up coming back years and years later and start picking off some of Krayt's Sith. It could be a Sith x Sith battle. But it would have to be written well, or never made at all.

Other then that, I am glad they don't involve him in EU too much, and it being mostly in the past. To be bluntly honest, would any Darth Maul fangirl want to hear that he has a canon lover somewhere and some secret kids like we got wiith Fett? Or hear that he has his angsty moments? I wouldn't. Too many EU writers get itching fingers to give a character a wife and kids once that character has been around a while. IMO, that would ruin Maul.
    (Unless they don't do this, then I would be happy ;) )

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I assume they call that thing a "melting pit" for good reason...:p

11. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh, I know it's canon. I was just wondering when it became canon that it was Maul's doppelganger, not a droid like PR0XY, a human-replica droid(okay, zabrak-replica), or a clone.

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Sometime between the following dates:
    by: Leland Y Chee
    date posted: Jan 19, 2006 3:02 PM | updated: Feb 23, 2006 1:35 PM

And true to form, the definitive answer still aludes us.
    Resurrection's Darth Maul was either a clone or the result of Sith magic...

Its a BIG secret I guess, like Yoda's species.

EDIT: I may be wrong, but I take it that in this case: 'clone' equals 'Dopplegänger'.

13. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I wonder if clone Maul's body survived its trip over the lava falls? Probably a dumb question... [face_whistling] :p

14. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Ah. I took clone to mean clone. :p

15. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Ok...so which one of you is Dave Filoni?

GGrievous likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.