main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Brand Spanking New York Yankees Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Yanksfan, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Come on, guys, there's gotta be other fans out there. Don't be shy! Don't let those silly shea-supporters shame you into hiding! Show your pinstripe pride!!!

We need to establish a support network, man!

After tonight's game against Boston, I ache....and you know what, I have a feeling this year's pennant race is gonna be a real nail biter down to the end. I need others to freak out and lose sleep with me.

So yeah, here's a thread to celebrate, mourn, and weep uncontrollably over the roller coaster ride that is a MLB season.

Please join me in here, this dugout's big enough for Yankee fans galore! :)

2. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Someone gave me tix to go to a game last week, but I wound up not being able to go. That sucked. Well, it did rain that day so maybe I can get a rain check. I have to look into that still.

I have not been following the Yanks as much as I have in the past, well that goes for baseball in a whole. On reason for that is my family hates the Yankees.

2 + months left, its a looooong season. I am far from worried. I just do not want to see the Red Sox get the Wild card or make the Play offs period. I hate Nomar, I hate Manny. I hate the Mariners.

OK, I am done for now.

3. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    I think I hate Pedro most of all.

But I dunno, I know you said you're not worried, but I watched that series this weekend. Boston looked sharp. And our bullpen? Man! Besides Mo Rivera, it looked downright scary. We still need some more arms!!

I like what I see from our postion players though. And Nick Johnson doesn't look like he missed a beat. *knock on wood*

4. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    This is about that kid's game, right? ;)

Mike

5. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Just a BOSTON RED SOX fan stopping by to say thanks for a great weekend of Baseball.

This isn't a dig because we won 2 of the 3 games. It's just great to be a fan of this rivalry, it is the best in all of sports.

Edit: Perhaps we can make a wager between the two chapters on the results of the AL East race?

6. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Of course I hate Pedro too. Oh and Johnny Damon since he was on KC. I never did have much hate towards the Red Sox as a whole cause well, the Yanks have almost always been the better team.

The Bullpen does worry me a bit. Benitez is a bleep and Orosco should retire.

Now lets beat some Angels.

I should of said I am not worried yet.

7. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    A bit? I am absolutely terrified of this bullpen. It's by far their WORST in a decade. Hitchcock is a bum, Hammond proved last night that he can't pitch under pressure and Benitez...please...we've all seen him in action. I really don't see them going to far in the playoffs(if they even make it this year).

8. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Well, you know where my alligences lay! ***G O R E D S O X ***

I fell asleep during the game last night, but I always get a buzz seeing Fenway on TV, it really is just a beautiful old playing field - Has a real touch of class about it! I just wished I had stayed away to watch the seventh innings run spree!

Time to wear my Sox cap with glee! :D

9. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah, Ryno, I'm with you. As much as I love to give Red Sox fans grief, what would either of our seasons be like without this heated rivalry? It's awesome!

Of course, I say this now, but we're still on top. If October tells a different story I'll be very bitter indeed. :p

And I agree, Ghosts, our bullpen is *frightening*, but I still think we'll make the play-offs, and hopefully more. I keep the faith, I just wet my pants with panic in the process. ;)

10. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Hey guys, thanks for taking Benitez away from us. Lets be honest, and start this thread up when the Yankees actually start to lose, then lets see how many fans crawl out of the woodwork.

11. sithlord57

sithlord57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    As much as I like to bash Benitez, I am hopeful that he will work out for them. For all his faults ( many), he does throw some heat and I would take him in the eighth than Hammond or Hitchcock. As long as he is out of a pressure situation, he should be ok.

And as far as the pitching is concerned, if I was able to deal with Andy Hawkins, Lee Gutterman, and Eric Plunk, I should be fine with what we have now.

12. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    And as far as the pitching is concerned, if I was able to deal with Andy Hawkins, Lee Gutterman, and Eric Plunk, I should be fine with what we have now.

Gaaaah! Way to pull names from the 'dark era'. How 'bout a few more just for fun...Paul Gibson, Steve Howe, Kevin Maas, Mel Hall....

*runs away screaming*

Seriously, man, I was diehard even then, but I'm glad we never have to revisit the early 90s. Besides Donnie Baseball, there was very little to get excited about. Although, Steve Sax was kinda cool, too.....

13. sithlord57

sithlord57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    You had to bring up Kevin Maas didn't you? :)What a bust that was. Not as bad as Brien " The Barroom Brawler" Taylor. I was all happy when I had his rookie card then he had to shatter his hand.

And if you want more pain, here's some oldies from the dark ages: Steve Balboni and Pascual Perez.

Oh the horror. The horror.

14. JEDI_SMURF

JEDI_SMURF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Hey there, New York. I'm am a big Yankee fan from Buffalo, NY. I just got over the meltdown in Fenway on Sunday night. That was very uncharacteristic of Chris Hammond. By the way, Jeremy Giambi was out Saturday. Nick Johnson coming back will help out the team. Maybe Sunday night's game will be another wake-up call to the Yankees just like Houston's 6 pitcher no-hitter (say that three times fast). He will see how the Yankees do tonight in Anaheim.

I also saw the Columbus Clippers when they came to Buffalo in June and this was the worst Columbus team I have ever seen. The only good thing about the game was that Bucky Dent was the third base coach and I was sitting right in front of him. I believe a repeat of 1982-1995 is upon us. We had better enjoy it while we can.

I will finally make the pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium August 9th against Seattle. I can't wait. GO YANKEES!

15. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Aww, Jedi Smurf, that news about the Clippers is disheartening. Am greedy Yankee fan, want more victories!!

But I hope you're right about the wake up call thing. And I think you could be. Now the Yanks will know that the sox are to be taken seriously, and maybe they'll step up their game a bit. I *really* want those bullpen arms to come around though. D'oh! Why did Mike Stanton have to turncoat and go to Shea??

16. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Hey Smurf, the Clippers have to be better than the Single A Yanks. Great ballpark at St George, but man, embarrassing team to watch.

17. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I am a die hard Yankees fan...

And I hate the Red Sox even more so today than ever before.

They have ruined my Fantasy Baseball chances once again...taking another Closer and putting him in their crappy bullpen. :mad:

18. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    I am a die hard Yankees fan...

And I hate the Red Sox even more so today than ever before.

They have ruined my Fantasy Baseball chances once again...taking another Closer and putting him in their crappy bullpen. :mad:

19. JEDI_SMURF

Nov 20, 2002
    The trade deadline is tomorrow at 4:00PM Eastern. Both the Yankees and Red Sox have been active so far. George Steinbrenner is in Tampa meeting with both the "Tampa Mafia" (his advisors in Tampa) and his New York advisors. We shall see if the Yankees can address their problems. Karem Garcia so far looks like a good pick-up, but Armando Benitez is unfortunately proving me right after his outstanding opening night in Yankee Stadium. I believe Hideki Irabu started off the same way as Benitez in his first game aginst the Tigers and then quickly fell apart.

20. JEDI_SMURF

Nov 20, 2002
    Sorry about the double post. I have fallen victim to the evil Microsoft SQL Server.

21. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Dammit, the Sox just picked up another arm, from the Reds I think. Meanwhile we got some random people from Arizona and passed them Mondesi. Does anyone know more about these people? I only caught the tale end of the story on SportsCenter. They made it sound like Boston made the better deal though....*sigh*

Come on, Big George! Hustle! Deadline's approaching!!

22. JEDI_SMURF

Nov 20, 2002
    Mondesi was traded to Arizona for outfielder David Dellucci, pitcher Bret Prinz, and catcher John Mark Sprowl. Dellucci will be with the Yankees, Prinz is going to Columbus and Sprowl is going to Class A Battle Creek. As for the pitcher the Red Sox got, he is Scott Williamson from Cincinnati and the Red Soz only gave up minor league pitcher Phil Dumatrait, a player to be named later, and cash. The Reds actually wanted Nick Johnson and Brandon Claussen plus cash from the Yankees (fat chance).

23. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Oh, well, if that's the case then I'm glad they didn't deal with Cincinnati. Nick Johnson is off the table from what I've heard, and Claussen? Are they kidding? After that performance against the Mets, he's shown to be a young arm that we should hold on to. Especially with Boomer and Rocket on the way out.

24. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    The Reds actually wanted Nick Johnson and Brandon Claussen plus cash from the Yankees (fat chance).

I can't believe that the Reds would want our players like that...but settle for what they got from the BoSox.

Mondesi was traded because of his tirade the other night. When he was pitch-hit for.
    But I like Bret Prinz...and Delucci will do a decent job for what he is here for.

And wasn't Claussen a college QB? From either Tennessee or LSU?

25. JEDI_SMURF

Nov 20, 2002
    Claussen was a quarterback at Tenessee. The ring bell rung Tueesday and the Yankees answered it and came out swinging. The team is hitting well now and the pitching is great. Let's hope that Giambi continues his hot-streak and Matsui continues his great hitting (OOOHHH Godzilla!). Let's hope the pitching continues to be great. The real test will be this weekend against the Athletics and their great pitching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.