main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Brandon Sanderson -- State of Sanderson 2015

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

It's the kind of thing that normally makes me pretty sad too, when the main characters die. In this case, it didn't trouble me. Still made me sad, but it didn't trouble me. Both of them essentially gave everything that they had, both had some truly epic final moments, and they died doing what was right. What more can you ask for in a hero?

Also, it neatly sidestepped any separation of the two, or the loss of Vin's extra powers, or a power disparity between the two.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Which was the reason I wasn't too sad - they might be dead, but they're still together.

I also like the way it was open-ended about exactly what would happen, how they would rebuild. Things like Sazed saying that Spook should find the other two metals and he (Spook) would be interested in seeing what they are, gives the story a feeling of not really ending. To quote a book about which I liked little but these sentences, "There is more to tell, but there always is. True stories never end." I like the feeling of completion, that the reader gets everything that happens and doesn't miss out on anything, that everything is pretty much resolved, but that the characters will go on.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I was so pissed this morning! I went to BAM to get THoA PB today and nope they didn't have a single copy so now I have to wait a week and a half since there is now no other book store in this area! I have already been majorly spoiled about the book but I want it now so I can finish.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Can you get a copy more quickly from a library?

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I was in Borders this weekend and I reread the end of HoA [face_love] So beautiful.

What do those of you currently reading the book think so far?

6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Well lets see.. So far I am only page 79 Chapter 9.

I have really loved the way Elend has grown in the year since WoA he seems to be coming in his own at being Mistborn/King. The way he just walks into a village and takes command was great.

Loved seeing Sazed and Breeze in their first chapter. Marsh is twisted and Tensoon's chapters have me flying through them. I want to know what becomes of him so bad.

I have to say that Brandon really came with it so far. The book flows along alot better then the first two this early in the story.

7. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Picked up the PB a few days ago. Loving the cover.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    IMO the hardcover covers are kinda weird, but I love the paperback ones :D

I agree that Elend's grown up, At first I kinda resented that he got to be a Mistborn and he was so powerful because that had been the thing that made Vin more . . . special? . . . than him, but I learned to like it.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Got the PB in the mail yesterday...hopefully have some commentary soon (I just finished reading the first battle while I was on the bus.)

10. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I have only been able to put away another 30 pages or so. I have been to busy going to my brothers house in Texas to help them get ready to move. :(

11. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    I finished Elantris yesterday. It was a great book- I couldn't put it down. How does the Mistborn trilogy compare? Is it as good? Better?

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I never got around to reading Elantris. However, I'd strongly recommend the trilogy; it's excellent :D

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I literally just now finished book 3. A whole lot from the previous books finally made so much since. It was a very good story however the ending bummed me out. I wanted more.

Oh and Elantris is a super-fantastic-amazing-and just great read.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

I actually think it ended at a good place. The story was about Vin and about the struggle to free the people and re-make the world. That happened. I just don't think it would be the same if it was just then rebuilding after Sazed fixed everything. Plus, I don't think there'd be enough conflict to make it worth the telling.

And I like that it ends with more for the heroes to do; they don't just go home. That was my least favorite part of LOTR. There's more to do, the story and the people go on, even if we don't see it.

15. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I am now looking foward to reading Warbreaker. I know that it was an online book but the HC comes out tomorrow I think.

The only thing that really bummed me out about book 3 was the 2 pg epiloge. I hate short endings!

16. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    Mistborn was wonderful. It definitely lives up to Elantris- perhaps even surpassing it.

I really like how Sanderson doesn't stick to standard fantasy cliches. It's nice to read something different from
    conventional fantasy.

17. Darth_Fred

Darth_Fred Jedi Master star 5

Mar 1, 2004
    Has anyone else found Mistborn to be a bit of a slow starter? The action is interesting enough, but sometimes I'm left wondering if the beginning is all setup that will make sense once I'm more than halfway through.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I had a hard time when reading book 1. I didn't think that it was as great as everone else. I personally like Elantris over MB1. However books 2 and 3 blew me away. I could not put them down unless I was forced to.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes. Thet first time I read it I had trouble with the beginning. But by 150 pages I was hooked :D

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Mistborn is definitely a slow starter. There's more to set up. With Elantris, the entire Shaod thing is sort of explained as he goes as well as the competing/warring religions. I personally think that the political angle of Elantris and the fundamental values make it more to my liking than parts of Mistborn, but I love the whole MB trilogy. And to think I only picked up Elantris first because the author was my friend's creative writing professor. I don't know Brandon that well, but we've met each other quite a few times through the university symposium. The poor guy confessed to being unsure what to do with his groupies when it came out that he was going to be finishing Wheel of Time and suddenly had FANS.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I was hooked on MB1 halfway through the prologue. :p

Evil.

22. Darth_Fred

Mar 1, 2004
    You are a unique individual, Wiggins. :p

I'm definitely interested in the story and characters. It just hasn't started to flow yet. I'm glad I am not the only one who felt that way.

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] What part are you at?

24. Darth_Fred

Mar 1, 2004
    The last part I read was about a meeting of skaa, to recruit. It seems to be the first time Vin got to witness one of the other crew members demonstrate just how skilled they could be with their one talent. I was impressed with the planning and clever manipulation that went into massaging the attitudes of the skaa into a more supportive mindset.

I do have to say, it's entertaining to see Breeze and Ham interact.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Those two kill me :D