main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Brandon Sanderson -- State of Sanderson 2015

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That sounds really cool!! I'm glad you had a good time!

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah Im jealous Imp. Glad you met him that is awesome.

Sadly no big authors ever come to Lake Charles, LA... :(

3. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    It really is the middle of nowhere. I used to live near there (Ft. Polk)

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    That sounds awesome, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, no big name authors come to Columbia, either. I'd settle for Charlotte, or (for the next year) Raleigh, though.

5. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Well nobody comes to my city either. I had to drive almost 5 hrs, but I was headed there anyway. I don't think I'd drive that far just to see an author. I'd love to go to Comic-con or E3 sometime though.

I was surprised that considering Brandon Sanderson is one of the biggest fantasy authors right now, that there were only about 12-15 people at the panel and reading.

6. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    BS is putting up excerpts from his half-finished book called Mythwalker. He cannibalized this book, using some concepts in Mistborn and Warbreaker. It starts with the prologue here.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Is this one a stand-alone? (He's got so many projects I can't keep them straight 8-} )

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It was a failed book of his - though as noted above, he cannibalized parts of it for later (now published) novels ;)

Sanderson's comment about it: "Warning: It's bad."

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Thats between DeRidder and Shrevport right?

Yeah I dont understand why nothing gets scheduled here. I mean Lake Charles has well over 100,000 with the suburbs and little towns combined prob just a tad more. A big factor is that we are almost right smack in the middle of Houston 2hr and New Orleans 4hr they figure we can just go there and be happy about it...???

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A heads-up for Sanderson fans who will be in (or near ) London (UK) in November. Brandon Sanderson will be signing his laatest Mistborn HC The Alloy of Law at the Forbidden Planet megastore on November 19 from 1:00 to 2:00 PM. There are details here on the FP website.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Soooo jealous!!

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Pre-ordered a signed copy of Allow of Law this past week. Figured the chances of making it to any of his signings were slim, so I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity while it was there.

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Did that cost more?

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Actually, the book price was discounted, though the shipping put the cost back to right around list price (I think the total was 50 cents over list price, but no sales tax so it was still cheaper than buying it in person at a store - more than it would be on Amazon, though, for sure). The info is on Sanderson's website - as of last week, there were still 100 copies left.

15. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    Here's a review I found for Alloy of Law.

16. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I for one enjoy his lack of profanity. :)

Evil.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    EKW: Agreed completely on the lack of profanity. Nice to see one who doesn't lower his writing to that level.

nd with Sanderson you just know that all the good guys will live to see another day.

Uh, what? Seriously? Has this guy even read the original Mistborn books? All the good guys live to see another day? Kelsier? Vin? Elend? Dockson? Clubs? The good guys are practically slaughtered!

18. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Haha, for sure. I was thinking the same thing when they said that about the good guys. Isn't it something like less than half of the original crew survived to the end? I don't feel like counting, but it could be less.

Evil.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, Sanderson doesn't equal "happy ending."

I don't usually notice stuff like that (though I probably will now). It doesn't bother me as long as the authors don't overuse either real curses or the made-up ones. The former gets a bit ridiculous and the latter gets a bit annoying. But in general, swearing doesn't bother me.

I'm making this thread spoilers-allowed, but please remember to HTR until 2 weeks after the books come out (though you can continue after, if you'd like).

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That review reads very oddly indeed and it's sad to see the writer couldn't resist throwing in the jab that if you're a fan of a writer you can't or won't be critical of them!

I don't think that's true, here we've had many discussions around the merits or lack of in other works, NYCG loved Warbreaker, I found it OK, we both seem to love Mistborn and Way of Kings.

As to profanity, it isn't always needed and I'm not sure fantasy truly needed it at all, it's a rare author who can do it well in fantasy/SF, Scott Lynch pulled it off in Locke Lamora exceedingly well, Peter Hamilton is similar for SF.

As to the good guys winning - why is this a failing? We are bombarded with the nasty reality that the bad guys win nigh-on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - WHY does it have to be present in fantasy? I can't help but suspect that there lurks behind such comments a highly patronising attitude. Oh you like Star Wars do you? Well, everyone should have a hobby, then they mentally note: Incapable of reading real' books!

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree. I'm a big fan of happy endings. Real life is sad enough often; I like fiction to be my escape to Happy Land. Some people don't, and that's fine, but happy endings shouldn't be a failing.

Also, agree about the criticism. Heck, I'll fully admit that my absolute favorite author of all time has written books I dislike. Just because some people like all of an author's books don't mean they won't criticize.

22. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Just a little over twelve hours until I have the book in my hands. I think I'm getting a little too excited. :)

Evil.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    We'll see how quickly I get to Alloy of Law. I've only just read The Final Empire. :p

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    What did you think?

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    YAY! My UK hardback copy of Mistborn: Alloy of Law has despatched!

Now, when will I get around to reading it, that's the question....