main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Brandon Sanderson -- State of Sanderson 2015

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    :eek:

My copy of Words of Radiance (US edition with Whelan cover) has just been despatched by Foyles!

Should be able to pick it up on Friday!

Wasn't expecting this until April!

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I like both covers. The contrast in tone works.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Strangely enough, I'm the opposite on Mistborn: Alloy of Law:

US cover:

[​IMG]

UK cover:

[​IMG]

Here, I much prefer the UK one!

However, in the UK, Sanderson was first known for finishing WoT, with Mistborn being the first series of his that was issued, with the others following later. Which is likely why I like the Mistborn UK covers far more than the others - the others are when the company decided to apply to apply a dull, consistent house style to them! That I do object to, I like variance in cover design and some personality!

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Right, got my Tor edition copy of Words of Radiance and those of you do likewise do appreciate the following:
    • The Michael Whelan cover and lettering - trust me, put this with your Way of Kings hardback and it looks nnniiiccceee.
    • Back cover illustrations on the front back inside covers that are very good work indeed.
    Why does this matter? The UK edition has neither of these and is much the poorer for it!

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Glad you like it! I really enjoy Whelan's art.

6. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Words of Radiance spoiler:

Nightblood showing up at the end blew my mind. All the different books being connected had pretty much gone over my head until that point. Now I'm rereading everything trying to pick up on stuff I missed.

LBoogie0617 likes this.
  7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Firefight, the second book in Sanderson's new trilogy (sequel to Steelheart), has an official release date in early January. I read Steelheart and the short 1.5 story, but on the whole, I didn't enjoy them as much as I liked his other books.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've just read Final Empire and enjoyed it, but looking at the Amazon reviews for the next book (The Well of Ascension) it doesn't seem as popular - a number of complaint's about it being too romance focused and a bit dull. What are the opinions here?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Treat it as Part 1 of an epic 2-parter and you'll probably be fine.

It has the usual hurdles, the big threat is defeated so a new enemy has to be got, there's the sense of what happens now?

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Finished The Well of Ascension yesterday and really enjoyed it. Will have to get The Hero of Ages sometime.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Do not wait, go grab! THEN, for something altogether and brilliantly different in the same world, grab Mstborn: Alloy of Law and you'll understand why we want Mistborn trilogies 2 and 3!

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i keep meaning to hurl myself into the path of the sanderhomey zeitguiest, this seeming sentient text-generating machine who moonlights as a BYU creative writing prof, but ultimately the size of the corpus relative to its literary merit is daunting. people seem to love him, ive certainly not heard any bad things... but i think ultimately what im afraid of is the idea that i might find i actually like him. im a slow reader, you see. what if i really like his stuff and then subsequently i lose a year's reading time sanderdawg -- a year that i could have used to further my modest scholarly tendencies? im already balls deep in steven erikson and robert jordan at this point. can i afford to add another large body of fantasy work to the mix or my intelligence devolve to the level of a semi-literate larper who makes his own metal jewelry?

14. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You mean other than Erikson and Weber? Yep.

16. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Sanderson has one of the highest outputs of a fantasy writer currently, and that's without taking into account the size of the works he does release.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    p sure sanderson has the highest output of any writer who isnt clinically insane

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    So I'm super late to the thread and just realized that Sanderson is mostof the way into the next Mistborn book! (Which I assume is a Wax and Wayne sequel?)

I still haven't read Words of Radience (I need to finish WoT, which I dropped for an entire year out of boredom). I am glad to see the next book is only a year and a half out; I might just wait and read them together.

Firefight is also coming out soon (January), and while I'm sure I'll read it, I wasn't soooo impressed that I'm on the edge of my seat.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I just finished Words of Radiance myself. Not sure how I like the Neo/Agent Smith-esque fight between Kaladin and Szeth, but the book was still phenomenal. Can't wait for the third book!

I'll dive into the Mistborn series next.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mistborn is soooooo good! Probably my favorite of his works (though I love Warbreaker as well ... I recommend starting Mistborn first, though.)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes!

Mistborn: Shadows of Self news!

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-december-2014/

=D=^:)^[face_dancing][face_party]Fecking awesome!

I just found both on Amazon. I tend to vary between the UK and US versions but for Mistborn I like the UK cover design better. I will likely buy them from anywhere but Amazon, but Amazon's useful for identifying future purchases ahead of time.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm SO excited! I've been dying for another WAx and Wayne book, and now we're getting two really soon, with a third to come (hopefully not long after) [face_dancing]

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What gets me is how he's laying all this stuff out: OK, for Mistborn trilogy 2 I need story A and B done first, then for Mistborn trilogy 3 I need story C and D done first. And he's alternating between Stormlight Archive books!

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The newest Mistborn book is out! It's called Shadows of Self and is the second Wax and Wayne book.

I think I'm going to wait until the third is released in January (gives me time to reread the first four). Is anyone getting it now?

25. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I bought SoS the other day. I'm on my honeymoon so I haven't been able to read much yet. Just a couple chapters in so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NYCitygurl likes this.