main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Brandon Sanderson -- State of Sanderson 2015

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think it's set in the same world but not a direct sequel. He is planning two more sequels to make Elantris a trilogy.

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm not sure if Kelsier's backstory is available anywhere else. :/

It's called 'The Eleventh Metal' if you wanna try and look it up

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, may have to hold off getting it - November's a big month already!

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nooo ... thanks for the title, though! I'll see if it's available.

Ben, you know me: library :p Legion hasn't come in to mine, though. As long as WoT does on time, I'll be okay.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, decided to do something I haven't done in years - read a book in one go, in a day. Of course, I'm not reading as fast as I used to so it needs to be something not too large, what to choose? Ah yes....

Mistborn: Alloy of Law

It was a lot of fun and, were it a different, less reliable author, I'd have been greatly irritated by the open-ended ending but this is Sanderson, the man has plans! So, I'm quite confident he knows what he's doing here.

Returning to the world of Mistborn, a few centuries later, with a mix of tech and magic, with the latter system established in Mistborn and developed to a dizzying level of new depth and power combinations, was a lot of fun. I liked the newspaper snippings too. It's also rare for a fantasy to engage in this kind of societal and technological development, will the politics also evolve? The only other fantasy I know of where things change is Discworld and that's very different to Mistborn!

I also like the set of characters Sanderson has set up: Wax, Wayne, Steris, Marias - that'll make for a fun brew of interactions.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Glad you read and liked it! I know Sanderson has big plans, but I want the sequel now! It was originally intended as a standalone and just grew ... honestly, I'd rather read the sequel than Legion.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Alloy of Law was supposed to be a short story.. which turned into a novella, which turned into a novel that might be short by Sanderson's standards but is well past "novella" status, and will have a sequel to boot. Go figure :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I feel like that happens to him a lot 8-}

9. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    omg just found out Brandon Sanderson is gonna be at Phoenix Comicon this year. I'm so excited!

10. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    My friend Sarah is making me a Spook costume for comicon. This is gonna be epic.

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    thats either really racist or you've misspelled "spock"

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nope, real character.

That sounds like fun! I"m so jealous. Do you read the Wheel of Time books?

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nice. He's an awesome character.

Also, courtesy of the AMoL signing, I now have the following books signed and personalized:

Elantris
    Mistborn
    Well of Ascension
    Hero of Ages
    Warbreaker
    Way of Kings
    Allow of Law (paperback... plus I already had the hardback from when it came out)
    The Emperor's Soul

plus the final three Wheel of Time books. So, basically, my entire Sanderson collection. You can guess why I consider that to have been one heck of an awesome day :p

NYCitygurl likes this.
  14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You got to go to an AMoL signing? So. Jealous.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Photo from the signing

Sanderson on the right (obviously), Harriet McDougal (Jordan's widow) next to him, then Maria Simons and Alan Romanczuk.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  16. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008

Man I'm jealous. This is what I wanna do. Just have to get to a signing. Nice job R...J

NYCitygurl likes this.
  17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    He's got a bunch more AMoL signings in February in various cities... don't know if any are near you, though.

18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Did a terrific job getting the Crows into the prelim last year.

MarcusP2 likes this.
  19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    LOL. That's Brenton. :p Also nobody will get that.

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis likes this.
  20. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008

Yeah there's one in Toronto on a Friday night. Might drive down for that, depending on if I can get some Leaf tickets for Saturday night.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I've read Emperor's Soul, which is good. Haven't read Legion yet, though I'll probably get it for my Kindle sooner or later.

PS. Concerning the title of the thread... Allow of Law's been out a while... 15 months now?

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  24. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    So Phoenix Comicon was this past weekend. Brandon Sanderson was there.(as I mentioned earlier in this thread) My friend Sarah didn't end up making me a Spook costume. Instead I was Sazed. Esperanza_Nueva was Tindwyl. Sarah and her boyfriend Brian were Vin and Elend. Sarah made all the costumes from scratch.

Brandon Sanderson kinda freaked out when he saw us. I don't think he'd seen Mistborn cosplays this good. And no, I'm not exaggerating. Sarah freakin killed it with these costumes. She does this kinda stuff for a living so I knew they were gonna be quality, but I wasn't expecting them to be this good tbh. Anyway, after his Magic Methods panel, Brandon was talking to some other people while we were taking pictures in the back of the room. Brandon pointed at us from across the room and yelled out, "HEY! DON'T LEAVE!" which was awesome btw. After he finished talking to that other person and we finished taking pics with a bunch of people, he came up to us and examined every costume. The best one was Vin and he even told Sarah that if he had a choice as to who to cast in the role it would be her. That was pretty baller.

And then Brandon looked to his dude Isaac and was like, "Let's get a picture of them for the blog." Isaac was all, "I already got one earlier at the booth." And then Brandon said, "No! I want one with ME in it for the blog!" That was also pretty baller.

AND THEN! during his actual solo panel that was all about him, Brandon called us up to the front so everyone in the room could check out our costumes. That was soooooooooo awesome.

Anyway, blah blah blah here's some pictures. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Um, that's pretty freaking fantastic! All of it, from the costumes to the convo with Sanderson :D It looks like you had a great time!

Armenian_Jedi likes this.