main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Brandon Sanderson -- State of Sanderson 2015

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. LBoogie0617

LBoogie0617 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    It wouldn't be Sanderson if it wasn't complicated lol

NYCitygurl and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000

Correct. He referred to it as trilogy 2.5 (trilogy starting with Shadows of Self, technically, not Alloy of Law, which makes Alloy kind of a prequel to the trilogy). The eventual planned second trilogy will be "contemporary", and the third futuristic. The only downside is thinking about how long it'll be before that's completed ;)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Oops. That was supposed to say trilogy 1.5, not 2.5

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome, LBoogie0617! We're all great Sanderson fans here :D

I, too, absolutely love Warbreaker, though it appears that it will still be many years before we get a sequel :( And you should definitely read Mistborn 1.5, as the others have said! I've only read the first one, but it's fab :D

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I feel like Marasi really starts to come into her own in Shadows of Self, so it becomes less "Wax and Wayne" and more "Wax, Wayne, and Marasi"... hope to see that continue.

Although I have to admit I'm still amused by the characters being named Wax and Wayne.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, people wonder why I like Sanderson's stuff, this is a large part of it:

http://www.foyles.co.uk/Public/Biblio/Detail.aspx?blogId=1403

Jan 2016 Newsletter:
    http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7d056bb7596a3e617f82004b2&id=6ac41779f0&e=b1d874ec3a

Do like that that Mistborn novella will become available in printed form at some point.

And yes, Lost Metal will be out but not until after Stormlight Archive 3!

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh yes:

http://www.risingshadow.net/library/book/49990-arcanum-unbounded-the-cosmere-collection

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome! I just reread The Emperor's Soul; I very much enjoy it!

Are Threnody and First of the Sun novels that haven't been released yet, or did I miss something?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think, not sure, but they may have been web-only or part of a short story anthology, that kind of thing maybe.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Arcanum Unbounded covers.... This time I prefer the UK one, far less cluttered:

US:
    [​IMG]

UK:
    [​IMG]

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My UK copy of Arcanum Unbounded has arrived.

Very nice edition, withe the design of the cover looking far better in print than online. As to the contents, it really does emphasise the scale of Sanderson's ambition with the whole Cosmere.

Not sure when I'll get to reading it.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oathbringer US cover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dammit, I had to pre-buy it after seeing this, no way is the UK cover going to match it.

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Link

I've just bought the e-book version of Arcanum Unbounded:The Cosmere Collection for 99p on Amazon UK. I assume the stories are good (I've not read any of Sanderson's short stories before)?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    As a rule, though a bit pricier, the US hardbacks are far better than the UK ones for Stormlight Archive.

For others, like Mistborn, I prefer the UK covers.

15. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Sounds like a pretty good recommendation. I thought the mistborm series kind of petered out after a great start. However, the stormlight archive has shown me that Sanderson has steadily improved his craft. I'll have to put this on my reading list.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  16. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Especially since he finished the fourth one last night :D

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's so nice to be getting more and more into the works of a big-name fantasy author who finishes books. :p

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Talking of reliable authors, John Gwynne is excellent. He's just finished a trilogy follow-up, Bloodf and Bone, to a quartet that was utterly awesome - the Faithful and the Fallen.

19. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Yeah some people were telling him he should share with Martin & Rothfuss how he writes ;)

Jedi Ben and Ramza like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Jokes aside, I am kind of more sympathetic to Martin ever since I saw a discussion he did with Stephen King. He brought up the obvious disparity in their writing speeds, and then asked "Don't you ever just sit at the computer screen for eight hours desperately hoping to get through word constipation before realizing you actually made negative progress when you revised that last sentence, and calling it a night and going to bed hating yourself?" Truly relatable. :p But yes, Sanderson's pace of play is quite agreeable given that whole... situation.

SWpants likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is, I can forgive a lot if there's communication. For instance Scott Lynch, things went awry then it became known he'd hit some severe health issues - that changes things for most people. it's when authors disappear and you've no clue as what's going on or be able to find info online that it irks.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think my bar is pretty low - if you insist on dying before finishing, make sure KJA is legally barred from writing anything in your series. Not to name names. Frank.

Jedi Ben and mnjedi like this.
  23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Oh hey, there’s a Sanderson thread, Good to know.

Got the first mistborn trilogy as a Christmas present one year and since then I’ve read most of his novels and short stories.

Greatly looking forward to Stormlight 4.