main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Brandon Sanderson -- State of Sanderson 2015

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Finished Hero of Ages a while ago, and it was really good. The only problem I had with it was at the end when Sazed becomes "God".

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Really? I was surprised, but not displeased. I thought it would be Vin, but that would have been too predictable. When it happened, I was like "Seriously? But hey, yeah, that makes sense."

3. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah, it was pretty jarring. It kinda made sense looking from a story point of view, but I was expecting them to become more of a spirit warrior/demigod than "God". The worst part was that it came across to me as Sanderson sneaking some Mormon philosophy in there.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Really? The only religious stuff I got from the series was Vin and Elend pointedly not having sex before marriage.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'd just like to comment that the default text color on this board is not black, so some of that HTR stuff isn't really THAT HTR :p ;)

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I've been adding black color to fine - we might have to see about getting that fixed.

And you don't go looking at the spoilers! :p

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm not, just commenting that some of it is readable without highlighting.

8. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    This just in- it looks like there's a film company that's acquired the rights to Mistborn: The Final Empire and is quite serious about producing an adaptation:) . Link from Sanderson's site: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/856/Mistborn-Movie-News

Hope this works out- ever since reading them for the first time, I've thought that the Mistborn books (and Final Empire in particular) would make for great movies.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I actually saw that earlier this afternoon, oddly enough. (I've been glancing through some of his annotations for the Mistborn books... which is pretty nice).

Also, I'd like to quote these two lines from myself in a different thread:

for all I know, Elend could die in WoA
    Then again, given that "Resurrecting Characters" thread...

o_O [face_thinking]

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    How far have you read?

I'm not so sure I like the movie idea - just because the author likes the producers doesn't mean they won't screw up royally - and let's face it, most movie adaptations suck (except I really liked LOTR). But we'll see.

And in other fun news, looks like Way of Kings will be out this summer :)

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Perhaps 100 pages or so into HoA... I was referring in particular to the end of WoA, and how its described early in HoA.

12. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Way I see it, if the movie's good, then we get a strong addition to the series, and if it's not, we'll still have the books exactly as they were. So it's a win/win either way:p .

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    In that case . . . yes, those [face_laugh] were deserved :D

You make a good point. And goodness knows that if it's made, I'll be seeing it regardless :p

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I think they are going to have be extremely careful making this movie. Im kinda scared that it might look cheesy once everyone starts flying around.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Any movie would have to make the rules of Allomancy extremely clear - pushing/pulling, etc. It won't be able to go into the depth that Sanderson does with it, but it can't leave it vague, either.

16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I wonder if Singer would be able to pull this feat off? He seems to have a descent head on him.

It is so easy to envision everything in your head and it not look like crap as so many movies do nowdays with blue and green screen shots that look so fake. That is what has me worried. Vin and Kelsier flying around the city looking to fake. Not just that but several things related to Allomancy. Also the Inquisitors.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah. Honestly, something too short of LOTR quality would be raelly disappointing. Though I think it's a good sign that he went with someone who seems into the series rather than with some bigshot Hollywood producer just looking to make a buck.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Finished Hero of Ages tonight - very interesting ending, and not quite what I was expecting.

More specifically, I didn't think he'd kill off Vin and Elend. By midway through the book or so, I was expecting Sazed to be the Hero - the little excerpts before each chapter just sounded like Sazed, and since the first one is "I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages"... yeah. Even that one sounds like Sazed, come to think of it. The discussion of the hero being referred to in gender-neutral terms made me even more sure :p

I still think Well of Ascension got off to a slow start, but it improved from there. Mistborn (i.e., the first) was still the best of the three, but that doesn't diminish the other two.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I was SO surprised (and a bit unhappy, truthfully) but at least they both died, so one wasn't left mourning the other, and we know they're together and happy in some sort of afterlife (and so's Kelsier, which makes it even better) so I'm happy. Though the last chapter made me cry a little, even though it's faurly optimistic.

I'm glad you finished it :D And I agree about the first one being the best and WoA starting off slow.

I also kinda thought Zane - or at least the idea of Zane - was cool, and I would've liked to see him have a larger part - though the bit at the end with him and Ruin was awesome.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Zane I was kinda meh on from the start - didn't care too much for him. Spook, on the other hand, was awesome in this book - it was really nice to get his viewpoint here. Though his seeing Kelsier threw me off a bit, especially since it definitely wasn't a kandra. Took me a few chapters to figure out that it had to be Ruin appearing as Kelsier.

Also, I liked the explanation on why Vin could pierce copperclouds. Sanderson's magic system in this series is fascinating, to say the least.

21. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Ha! At last something I figured out quicker than you guys did! :p

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Yeah, that took me a while too 8-} Though I never figure things out quickly - it took me a long time to work out who was the Hero of Ages. I thought for a long while that it still might be Vin, and even threw Elend in there as a possibility. I can't remember if I guessed at Sazed or if it threw me - at the very least, you'd never expect, especially at the beginning of the trilogy, that it would be Saze.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'd come to the conclusion it wasn't Vin within a few chapters - the excerpts really didn't sound like her. Elend was a possibility at that point, but Sazed fit those passages much better.

24. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Have you guys read any of his Alcatraz books? They're his young adult series. In a word, I would call them zany :p They're particularly amusing if you happen to be a librarian (which I am :) )

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I actually have not. I keep thinking that I should, but for some reason they're not that high on my priority list (and I keep forgetting they exist 8-} ).