Amph Brandon Sanderson -- "State of Sanderson" works announced

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    :eek:

My copy of Words of Radiance (US edition with Whelan cover) has just been despatched by Foyles!

Should be able to pick it up on Friday!

Wasn't expecting this until April!
  2. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 6
    I like both covers. The contrast in tone works.
  3. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Strangely enough, I'm the opposite on Mistborn: Alloy of Law:

US cover:

[IMG]

UK cover:

[IMG]

Here, I much prefer the UK one!

However, in the UK, Sanderson was first known for finishing WoT, with Mistborn being the first series of his that was issued, with the others following later. Which is likely why I like the Mistborn UK covers far more than the others - the others are when the company decided to apply to apply a dull, consistent house style to them! That I do object to, I like variance in cover design and some personality!
    Last edited by Jedi Ben, Mar 8, 2014
  4. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Right, got my Tor edition copy of Words of Radiance and those of you do likewise do appreciate the following:
    • The Michael Whelan cover and lettering - trust me, put this with your Way of Kings hardback and it looks nnniiiccceee.
    • Back cover illustrations on the front back inside covers that are very good work indeed.
    Why does this matter? The UK edition has neither of these and is much the poorer for it!
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Glad you like it! I really enjoy Whelan's art.
  6. Darth_Smeagol Force Ghost

star 4
    Words of Radiance spoiler:

Show Spoiler
    Nightblood showing up at the end blew my mind. All the different books being connected had pretty much gone over my head until that point. Now I'm rereading everything trying to pick up on stuff I missed.
  7. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Firefight, the second book in Sanderson's new trilogy (sequel to Steelheart), has an official release date in early January. I read Steelheart and the short 1.5 story, but on the whole, I didn't enjoy them as much as I liked his other books.
  8. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I've just read Final Empire and enjoyed it, but looking at the Amazon reviews for the next book (The Well of Ascension) it doesn't seem as popular - a number of complaint's about it being too romance focused and a bit dull. What are the opinions here?
  9. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Treat it as Part 1 of an epic 2-parter and you'll probably be fine.

It has the usual hurdles, the big threat is defeated so a new enemy has to be got, there's the sense of what happens now?
  10. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    Finished The Well of Ascension yesterday and really enjoyed it. Will have to get The Hero of Ages sometime.
  11. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Do not wait, go grab! THEN, for something altogether and brilliantly different in the same world, grab Mstborn: Alloy of Law and you'll understand why we want Mistborn trilogies 2 and 3!
  12. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
  13. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    i keep meaning to hurl myself into the path of the sanderhomey zeitguiest, this seeming sentient text-generating machine who moonlights as a BYU creative writing prof, but ultimately the size of the corpus relative to its literary merit is daunting. people seem to love him, ive certainly not heard any bad things... but i think ultimately what im afraid of is the idea that i might find i actually like him. im a slow reader, you see. what if i really like his stuff and then subsequently i lose a year's reading time sanderdawg -- a year that i could have used to further my modest scholarly tendencies? im already balls deep in steven erikson and robert jordan at this point. can i afford to add another large body of fantasy work to the mix or my intelligence devolve to the level of a semi-literate larper who makes his own metal jewelry?
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Aug 28, 2014
  14. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
  15. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    You mean other than Erikson and Weber? Yep.
  16. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Sanderson has one of the highest outputs of a fantasy writer currently, and that's without taking into account the size of the works he does release.
  17. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7