main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Brandon Sanderson -- State of Sanderson 2015

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I would certainly recommend them, particularly if you happen to like off the wall humor. Also, Sanderson likes messing with the readers in his Alcatraz books :p

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think he just likes doing that in general :p I'm adding them to my list :)

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, well the Mistborn books have made their way over the water and I've the first book for a long weekend, so I'll see how I get on.

As to a 10-book series, it depends which way it goes, if he can follow Erikson's lead and not opt for the road taken by the likes of Martin, Dolfuss and Jones, then it could be excellent, but I'm not sure if how interested I am anymore in super-long decade long stories.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I think a ten-book series probably would take about a decade, with one book coming out each year - while he might be able to swing two a year, he probably can't, and I doubt the publisher (probably TOR) would want to put two out in the same year. But if he can do one every year, rather than having several years between each book, I'd be okay.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    No way could he put out two in a year even potentially until he finished WoT :p

I don't mind long series, as long as they don't go the Goodkind/Sword of Truth path.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] No, I meant post-WoT - he did put out Warbreaker and a WoT book within months. However, I don't know that a) he wrote both in the same year, or b) that he's want to put out two several-hundred page books every year - from something he posted on his blog, I think he was working on the books 6 or 7 hours a day and then switching gears and doing some editing, and around early summer he was really worn out.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That'd work and it'd set him apart, about the only authors I read who do a book a year are Pratchett and Brooks.

Erikson is in there too, although he slipped a little but I'll forgive him that because he packs so much into each book - if he can put out Crippled God this year it'll be a big triumph.

If Sanderson goes for normal length books of 300-400 and not Erikson-style tombstones, then yeah maybe - much depends on how he structures it too, does he go for the super-long plot or build in min-conclusions along the way?

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I read so much of longer-winded authors, I've come to regard that 300-400 page range as "short" :p

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I think he's more a 600-page guy, but I think he can still do it - he's putting out WoT books 3 years in a row, and those are even longer/

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    He's hopefully putting out 3 WoT books in 3 years :p While I very much hope he does, I have to remember it hasn't happened yet :p

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Me too. I like the 700+ books

I will say though that BS does write pretty quick. Look at the progress bar on his site and you can see that the man is dedicated to myself. I have every confidence that he could put a book a year out after WoT. Unless of course something happens to him... yikes.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    True :p However, he's still planning on it, so I'm still planning on it :p

13. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Jim Butcher puts out two a year, plus short stories. Though this year he's taking it easy and just doing one book, plus short stories.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sounds like Dan Abnett then Raven, I've only read his comics work, but he's another prolific writer.

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry, popping in here for a moment. I'm at BYU's LTUE where Brandon's a guest of honor and I was standing in a registration room, talking to a comic writer about Brandon Sanderson's new book and Brandon turned around and started debating whether or not I'd like the new book based on what I liked about Elantris. Such an awesome guy. And I'd recommend the new one--he says he spent hours watching Oscar Wilde to improve his comedic writing.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    About 2/3 of the way through Mistborn Bk 1 and finding it quite intriguing, thanks for talking so much about this - wouldn't have checked it out otherwise.

17. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002

What new book is this?

That is cool you got to talk to him also.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Cool!!

Ben - excellent!! I'm glad that a) you're enjoying it, and b) me harassing everyone to read it got you to :D

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Listening to people online does help one find good books sometimes :p

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, not new to many people, but I hadn't read Warbreaker yet. I've been working on my own writing too much to read it.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Do I need to come bother you too? :p Warbreaker is seriously fantastic.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'll get it when it comes out in paperback :p

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Me too. I was going to get the HC at release but changed my mind for some reason I cant think of right now.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sanderson's stuff has only very recently made it to the UK - for a change you guys got this one first - so it seems not knowing has paid off as all 3 vols are available.

Thus far I'm liking the Allomancy system, it's hard to come up with a new take on magery but this qualifies. Great cast of characters too.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That can help things :D It doesn't surprise me that they hit the US first (since Sanderson's American - I'd always thought there was a slight delay in American books getting overseas, and vice versa, but I'm not positive) but I'm surprised it took so long.