main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Brave New World

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MikeLink300, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeLink300

MikeLink300 Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    Does anyone else see the similarities between Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and Star Wars. I see it mainly in the PT, with the oppression of Anakin by the JC. Any thoughts?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I have never read "Brave New World". I have however read Orwell's 1984 which many say is very similar. You can see some of the oppression and destruction of the individual within both 1984 and Star Wars. I really can't common on the ties with Brave New World.

-Seldon

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Huxley looks funyn looking to me. What a skull structure. . .

Anyway, having read the one and seen the other, I guess I don't see the connection so much. Perhaps the whole midichlorian deal suggests parallels with Alphas, Betas, etc, but I don't really see it. What did you mean, specifically, in regards to Anakin?

4. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I read Brave New World back in high school, and I gotta admit, I had no love for it at all.

I suppose the whole 'human's on the assembly-line' theme could be linked to both the Clone and Droid factories.

But themes like assigned relationships for specific periods of time. I don't see it.

I think the one part that really made me ill was the whole, 'electricuting' babies when they touched books as a means of scaring them away from them...

Wouldn't that be like Yoda giving the Padawan's the force lightning treatment for asking too many questions about why they were taken from their families, or forbidden to love?

5. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    There are tangential connections. Its a good book.

6. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Where's the handmaiden orgy-porgy?

7. Lucky_Luke

Lucky_Luke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2004
    I don't see any connection between the two - or did I miss the part in the movies where the government is actively encouraging people to do what is said in the book: S.E.X.? Furthermore there is no genetic reproduction (cloning)for stability, only for the necessity of war. And rating people according to categories - ok, Anakin would be A++, but besides that?

LL :)

8. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Like I said, its tangential. Not direct. The clones(and the droids) are representive of all that avante garde sci-fi.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    There are a lot of books/movies/stories that are cautionary about letting the government gain too much control and letting society 'progress' too far. In that sense, there is a parallel especially with the PT.

However, the PT is much more parallel to Stalin and Hilter, single party states in general, and genocide of scapegoats than it is a parallel to Brave New World.

BNW is a good novel, but it's main theme is that happiness isn't a pill and you can't know happiness unless you've experienced despair. SW has different themes entirely, so I'm sorry to say I can't really see that much of a relationship there.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.