Break a Leg (Well, not literally!!!)

Discussion in 'San Joaquin Valley, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Just sending you good wishes! You performers should be going onstage soon! *applauds madly*

- Kai :)
  2. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    ...and I can't find you guys in ANY of them.

Are you sure you were there?

;)

- Kai, looking at photos on the web while at work.

Bad Kai.
  3. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    I found one of you! Bwah ha ha!

[image=http://mywebpages.comcast.net/brianhancock/DSC00186.JPG]

You brought Mom!

(And yes, I am being a sad dolt and just posting messages to myself on my very own thread...why do you ask?)

- Kai, who has no life
  4. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Continuing on the topic of the sadness of me...yes, I'm still looking through CIII photos on the web during my lunch break.

http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/c3day3?page=16

Anakin, do you REALLY think Shmi wants to be seen in the state she's in? I mean, where IS your sense of propriety? ;)

And Master--Kenobi...where the heck are you in costume? *searches more* Jeez, ever since the purge these Jedi Masters are getting harder and harder to suss out...

- Kai, a day later and still without a life...but making a long thread of her very own!
  5. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL..ok, so now you are not talking to yourself. Hopefully we will have pics up soon. Unfortunately, Siri's Camera was stolen on the very first day with about 100 pics in it. Including Ani and myself doing the "Vanity Faire" pose with Nick Gillard himself! Besides the fact that the camera was left to us by our Dad about 3 weeks before he passed away.. the sentimental value is irreplacable. We should be getting pics up fairly soon. Will be scouring the websites myself! :)

And Shmi arrived at the Convention in her very own suitcase in the belly of the plane. What was great was that they didn't even look twice at her! :)
  6. mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Knight

star 3
    cool pics of Himself and mom... thanks, Kai!

will keep looking for more... tomorrow... [face_tired]

7. mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Knight

star 3
    oh, gods... you just HAVE to love the tie-dyed stormtrooper!

8. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh CRAP. I can't believe the camera was STOLEN. *glowers* Fans are supposed to treat each other better than that.

I'm so sorry, both for the loss of the photos and--more significantly--the loss of an item with such sentimental value. That SUCKS.

But welcome home! I'm sure you have many stories to tell, hopefully some of them happier than the camera!

Would have loved to see the "Vanity Fair" pic. Were there other flashbulbs going off at the same time? It's amazing sometimes what you can find posted on the web!

- Kai
  9. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    *sniffs around the boards looking for con-gossip...goes off disappointed to read her stupid murder mystery in bed, instead*

;)

- Kai, who is really hoping her costume is ready by the 13th!
  10. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    10:19 huh,,,, well since you are safely in bed, reading...

Not much going on here, just scouring the sites looking for pics. So far, some of Ani with Mom and not much else. :)

So we now return you to your regularly scheduled author
  11. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess I must be the "regularly scheduled author." *slightly shame-faced grin* What can I say? I prefer to think I'm the reincarnation of Charles Dickens and still - on some deep level - am convinced that I am paid for the word.

I found one other pic of Charles as Ani, with Mom, but now I can't find the link. Dammit. And I can't believe I haven't found photos of any of the rest of you cool people.

Well, I have finished printing out photo-references of pug-dogs (I have to do a pet portrait for a coworker who bid on my entry in the charity auction) and should log off to do my preliminary sketches. Sometimes I really DO wish I lived in another galaxy...

- Kai :)
  12. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/f20050419/indexp34.html

You won! You won!!!!!

*grabs the saber-duelers in a big hug and dances them all around the room, not to mention those folks who put 'em in the cool costumes!!!*

Jeez, I hope those sabers weren't active when I did that...!

So...any chance you'll be doing that duel again at another con? Dammit, if so, I will BE THERE.
  13. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure they will be doing the duel again, only this time we need to make sure that Kenobi doesn't throw things at the audience.

I think I am about to recover from the convention. I'm not standing in line anymore to get dressed in the morning. It could be a horror movie--"The Line! Where does it end? Where does it begin? WHAT IS IT FOR?????..." The count and I stood in line almost 2 1/2 hours just to get in on the first day which I know was short compared to others but *I* should not have to stand in line. My son will take care of those involved.

Yes, we did win second place, but it is very difficult to beat a tap-dancing Wookie. A note to Anakin, and anyone else for that matter. After the convention Sunday afternoon the Count and I went to the Crown Plaza for a late lunch and ran into Charlie Ross, one of the judges. He approached us and said that he believed that the performance was great and he himself gave us high points. He really thought we were better then the Wookie as ours was original. He also told us that one other judge agreed with him but the third judge gave the Wookie such high points we barely missed being first. The was only a couple of points difference. Also, we had people standing, clapping, and screaming. It also would have been much better if the stage crew had removed the podium before our group began. Warrick Davis might have apprecicated that also since he thought that Anakin was mistaking him for a Jedi youngling.

Okay. Must go now as I have a dinner to cook for my clients.

Golda
  14. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    <<Warrick Davis might have apprecicated that also since he thought that Anakin was mistaking him for a Jedi youngling. >>

*SNORK* Oh dear. Now THERE is an image for you. I can just see him blasting out from backstage, lightsaber raised, and poor Mr. Davis standing there, staring up, mouth agape in shock at this fast-approaching apparition.

Good grief. It's a good thing the performers are adroit on their feet. That could have been bad, having the MC still out on the stage when this all began!!!

That's very interesting re: the judges. Kind of nice to know what was going on in the deliberations, isn't it? Unfortunately, sounds like the Wookie act won using the "One Ring Circus" formula (not that we invented it, by any means, merely capitalized on it!). The formula being that "incongruous image" + "silly song and dance" = crowd pleaser. Which in some cases is too bad, as the crowd pleaser aspect can bowl over another act that is SERIOUS and equally good or better. Which, just to edit myself, is NOT to say that I am impugning the Wookie act, having not seen it. Master--Kenobi has said it was hysterical.

Still, 2nd place is very very good!!!

Oh! May have a lead on photos of the act from a kind soul on the boards. We'll see. :) The person said they had some photos but they were blurred due to the (I think this is a quote) "insane speed" the duelists were moving at. (Just checked, the quote is "freakish speed"--even better!) A compliment in and of itself!
  15. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Charlie Ross is the One Man Star Wars guy, yes? If so, high compliment indeed. He's a talented and funny dude.

Oh...and...

"I'm sure they will be doing the duel again, only this time we need to make sure that Kenobi doesn't throw things at the audience."

There must be a story behind this. This is me, hoping to hear the sordid details.
  16. mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Knight

star 3
    freakin' SWEET - they actually posted the winners! now, then (glower) where are the effin' PICTURES?!? i have been looking at C3 pictures until i feel like i was there, and no joy. SOMEBODY must have them!!! (photographer hissy-fit ensues)

um, which isn't to say that i'm not grateful for what IS posted. i'm just saying.

17. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, since I was the only group member not on stage I had a different view of what was happening. I have taken on a new title; Golda Palpatine, Stage Mother. Quake with fear.

Anyhow, the C3 stage crew had told us they were going to remove the podium and Warrick Davis before went on, but they didn't. So when the fight gets going there was sudden panic and a mass move to rescue our brave MC before he became apart of the battle. This caused some laughter but that was soon quieted by blazing, blurs of lightsabres and some very fine sword play. Then as Anakin and Obi Wan are tearing in to each other an object is seen flying away from the sabres and hurtling towards the audience. Actually it came straight at me but was deflected by the chair in front. I thought they had managed to break one of the unbreakable lightsabres but it was just the end cap from Master Kenobi's saabre. All in all it was an exciting show. I doubt that Warrick Davis will forget it anytime soon.

I am now working on getting us a chance to perform at the openning here and the manager of K B Toys has shown an interest in having the group do something there.

Ah, the Darkside brings so many opportunities.

Golda
  18. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Congrats you guys!!

Wish I could have been there to see it. :(
  19. mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Knight

star 3
    oh yeah. talked to the manager at the theatre when i went down to find out when tickets were to go on sale- he is VERY keen to have a presence at the midnight show. i gave his card to master_kenobi, figuring as the group n00b, i am not an authorized dealmaker. the toy store gig sounds kinda cool... hangin' in the mall would definitely be good exposure.

on a lighter note, when the nekkid wookiee and i went down this afternoon to see H2G2, there are already 4 tents in front of the pitofhell galaxy, with a sign reading "star wars episode 3 lines starts here" - i am given to understand they have been there for a few days so far. will attempt to get a picture soon, just for my own amusement.

that's way cool info about the judges! so it was a pretty narrow squeak between winners, that's good to know how close it actually was. still, the crowd-pleasing acts are hella fun to watch, especially when they are done well. (sure wish i could've seen yours, kai- are you guys working up anything for next comicon?) i didn't know about the endcap of the sabre... ye gods, projectile dueling.

20. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    <<the toy store gig sounds kinda cool... hangin' in the mall would definitely be good exposure.>>

When might that be? If you're dueling and I can get free, maybe I could take a trip south and see it? I take it the duel won't be performed at Baycon (?) so I'm game to try to catch it if it's going to happen somewhere else. Sadly, I already have midnight showing tickets to the opening on the 18th/19th up here, so...pth.

<<(sure wish i could've seen yours, kai- are you guys working up anything for next comicon?)>>

No plans for Comic-Con - both a bummer and a relief. Still deciding if I'll be going down there or not. Lots of the people (fellow fans) I like to hang with won't be there, I won't be in the masquerade...so, trying to decide yea or nay.

I have all our routines (sans our pirate one) up on my webpage now, though.

<<i didn't know about the endcap of the sabre... ye gods, projectile dueling. >>

Yipe! Yeah, that'd make you sit up and pay attention in the audience!
  21. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    << where are the effin' PICTURES?!? i have been looking at C3 pictures until i feel like i was there, and no joy. SOMEBODY must have them!!! (photographer hissy-fit ensues)

um, which isn't to say that i'm not grateful for what IS posted. i'm just saying. >>

Hello!

Wordy McWord Word here.

Pictures of the duel or of your redoubtable group are...thin on the ground.
  22. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    <<Golda Palpatine, Stage Mother. Quake with fear.>>

This is me, quaking. Stage Mothers are to be revered, obeyed, and courtsied before. ;)

<<So when the fight gets going there was sudden panic and a mass move to rescue our brave MC before he became apart of the battle. This caused some laughter but that was soon quieted by blazing, blurs of lightsabres and some very fine sword play.>>

I loved the person who posted and said the duelists moved at "freakish speed." *THUMBS UP*

<<I thought they had managed to break one of the unbreakable lightsabres but it was just the end cap from Master Kenobi's sabre.>>

Yeoch! Flashback to high school when one of our actors broke a sword tip during the killing of Banquo scene and took out a hunk of the plaster piller to the side and the tip bounced off the (empty) chair back in row three. Dress rehearsal, thank goodness. Scary!

<< All in all it was an exciting show. I doubt that Warrick Davis will forget it anytime soon. >>

Heh heh. Nope.

<<I am now working on getting us a chance to perform at the openning here and the manager of K B Toys has shown an interest in having the group do something there. >>

Oh, now...see? Drat. And I only bought my premiere tickets a few days ago...

<<Ah, the Darkside brings so many opportunities. >>

May hafta rethink this Darkside thing...
  23. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    thanks to Master--Kenobi and UMB (and mom) for helping out at the Pacific Region Fan Force booth at C3!
  24. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    You know we're there for you James! Anytime! Thanks for having us, (and thanks to The Emperor's wife and others who let me go play with/teach the younglings in the lightsaber Battle Arena..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.