Saga Break Away- Luke vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AnakinsHeir, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. AnakinsHeir Jedi Knight

star 3
    Title: Break Away
    Author: AnakinsHeir
    Character: Luke Skywalker
    Genre: angst, vignette
    Based on the song Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson. Yeah, I know, another songfic. But music speaks to me in a different way and these songfics are the result. I'm trying to branch out into different areas, but until that time, yet another songfic!

Break Away

Grew up in a small town,
    And when the rain would fall down,
    I'd just stare out my window.
    Dreaming of what could be,
    And if I'd end up happy,
    I would pray.

Try not to reach out,
    But when I tried to speak out,
    Felt like no-one could hear me.
    Wanted to belong here,
    But something felt so wrong here.
    So I'd pray,
    I could break away.

Farmboys weren?t supposed to dream; Luke had figured that out long ago. But that hadn?t stopped him. Because somehow he knew, with a certainty that seemed ill-placed in one so young, that he was not destined to spend his life on this farm.

The temporary farmboy dreamed of watching sunsets on faraway planets and of flying ships that were not yet invented. He imagined one day that he would feel the coolness of rain falling on his face. One day, the boy told himself, he would find a way to break away from the sands of Tatooine.

He didn?t need to look far to know he didn?t belong here. Even at home it was clear that he didn?t fit in. His eyes had always strained to see beyond his horizon, his heart had always longed for a life rich with experience and adventure that a farm on Tatooine was not likely to provide. If he looked hard enough, he would find out what he was meant to do. One day he would know why he?d been born.

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly,
    I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky,
    And I'll make a wish, take a chance,
    Make a change, and break away.
    Out of the darkness and into the sun,
    But I won't forget all the ones that I love.
    I'll take a risk, take a chance,

Wanna feel the warm breeze,
    Sleep under a palm tree,
    Feel the rush of the ocean,
    Get onboard a fast train,
    Travel on a jet plane,
    Faraway, and break away.

Those who toiled in the sun and sand were not immune to heartache; it found those honest laborers as easily as it does both emperors and slaves. It seemed unfair that his dreams of a new life would be fulfilled on the same day his old life was destroyed. Unfair, but perhaps it was inevitable. He imagined that sometimes it took hard times to change times. The day, which had started out like so many others before it, had become one of both endings and beginnings.

He did not know what waited for him beyond Tatooine. But he felt ready to face whatever the stars sent his way. When he had broken away from the ways of his youth, he had been given a new future, a road upon which he could travel if he wished to find his destiny. He knew the road would not be easy, nor was he guaranteed happiness at the culmination of his journey. But he knew that it was his intended path, no matter where it might lead him in the end.

Some part of him sensed that the life which waited just beyond his sight would be larger than he had ever imagined. He would find adventure and fulfillment he?d never known existed, but pain and despair waited there, too. The good and the bad of his destiny were intertwined; he could not have one without the other.

The farmboy who dared to dream was going to become something else; a different kind of man would take the place of the boy. Destiny beckoned, and he answered its call.

I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky,
    And I'll make a wish, take a chance,
    Out of the darkness and into the sun,
    I won't forget all the ones that I love.
    I've gotta take a risk, take a chance,
    Make a change, and break away?

Though its not easy to tell you goodbye.
    Gotta take a risk, take a chance,
    Ou
  2. Jedi_Chani Jedi Master

star 1
    Luke Skywalker broke away one last time and went into the arms of those who loved him.

:_| Luke is dead!! Great viggie, but the ending was both sad and happy. Great work.
  3. DreamOfKenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    There were things that he might have been tempted to change; certainly his life had not been an easy one. But when he considered the possibility, he became quite convinced that to change one undesirable thing here would change something quite wonderful there. So the temptation was as fleeting as it was strong.

Nice little viggie you've got here. I liked the progession for Luke. He was always breaking out into new territory, must be the Skywalker in him!
  4. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    What a nice vignette! I love Luke (and his daddy) so anything with name catches my eye. I loved this one.

For he had loved them and they had loved him, and in love there could be nothing to regret. Real love never came to an end, not through death or separation; it merely was invisible for a time, waiting patiently to bloom into colorful life once again.

I really liked this passage. How true!

5. VadersMistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Luke is dead? NOOO. Okay, he died as an old man and peacefully but still... :) This is quite good.
  6. Gina Force Ghost

star 4
    There were things that he might have been tempted to change; certainly his life had not been an easy one. But when he considered the possibility, he became quite convinced that to change one undesirable thing here would change something quite wonderful there. So the temptation was as fleeting as it was strong.

Wise, wise words!

There were those he missed, of course. Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru had merely been the first in a parade of those he?d loved and lost, through one means or another. But even in the void they?d left behind, he found comfort. For he had loved them and they had loved him, and in love there could be nothing to regret. Real love never came to an end, not through death or separation; it merely was invisible for a time, waiting patiently to bloom into colorful life once again.

Now he knew he hovered on the verge of that reunion, and his heart lifted with joy at the thought. It had been a long time, too many years since he had set sight on those who had been so much a part of what he had become.

He had broken away from the old life he?d led as a boy, and discovered a life richer with love and friendship that he could have ever hoped for. Now that life was coming to an end, and he knew what came after would be better still.

No fear, no loss, only love waited on the other side of this life.

Luke Skywalker broke away one last time and went into the arms of those who loved him.

Oh, you really tugged at the heartstrings with this viggie. I'm not ashamed to admit that you had me in tears.

You have such a way with words, AnakinsHeir. Your writing has such an eloquent, poetic feel.
  7. LukesTheMan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ilove this song and I really love this vignette. Great job of bringing Luke to life. Nice work!
  8. Kazzy Jedi Master

star 4
    A nice look at Luke, really. I think you've done a fantastic job. I could really picture seeing Luke looking back on his life like that! :)
  9. JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you portrayed Luke wonderfully. I like the progression, alyways moving forward and blazing a new trail.
  10. Miladry Jedi Knight

star 2
  11. AnakinsHeir Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jedi_Chani Thank you very much for reading this vignette.

DreamOfKenobi Thank you, I'm quite pleased that you enjoyed it.

VaderLVR64 Thank you very much!

VadersMistress Thank you, I'm glad you thought it was good. I was worried.

Gina Thank you, music is my first love, and poetry is quite similar, so that makes sense.

LukesTheMan I love this song, too. Thank you for reading it.

Kazzy Thank you! :D

JediMaster_Jen Thank you for reading, it means a lot to me.

Miladry Thank you. [face_blush]
  12. Lonewolf89 Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow, AnakinsHeir, that was breathtaking! Beautifully written, and a wonderful insight into Luke?s head. You captured him perfectly throughout the stages of his life.

The temporary farmboy dreamed of watching sunsets on faraway planets and of flying ships that were not yet invented. He imagined one day that he would feel the coolness of rain falling on his face. One day, the boy told himself, he would find a way to break away from the sands of Tatooine.

Very good discription!

The farmboy who dared to dream was going to become something else; a different kind of man would take the place of the boy. Destiny beckoned, and he answered its call.

Amazing narration there, too.

Thanks for sharing this, it's a great read. Wonderful work! :D
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.