main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Breakfast for Dinner

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Mar 29, 2014.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I had a breakfast burrito earlier.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Oh my.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Oreo O's... man, I miss those.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I ate that stuff like a devout Christian prays to Jeebus.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I mean it in a couple senses:

1. It is a strikingly egalitarian meal. Whether eaten in the Continental, American, or British style (or, frankly, many others I have encountered) the cost of breakfast is typically far cheaper than other meals. I've found this to be true regardless of whether you tabulate the charge at a restaurant or that of the baseline ingredients for at-home preparation. Thus, it is a meal where income disparities are unlikely to play a large role. All people can participate freely and fully together as equals. Compare this, for instance, to the wide range of payscales you can see in the baseline ingredients for a dinner meat (rghamburger vs filet mignon or whole lobster).

2. It's cost is matched by the simplicity of its preparation. Even those who are unskilled in the kitchen can often prepare a good breakfast. Does toast trouble any person? Is oatmeal or polenta difficult to prepare? Is there any man that cannot halve and section a grapefruit? Once again, the low barrier to access means that anyone can find success in it.

3. It is, in general, a guileless meal. One often hears stories of an untoward plot worked out over a dinner meeting. Or likewise, what starts as a dinner might segue into more unsavory activities as the night stretches on. But when have you heard such a thing about breakfast? Never.

4. The simplicity and high nutritional content of breakfast is an ideal form of life. We ought always be unassuming and avoid being over-adorned, yet forceful and full of meaning. Breakfast is thus a culinary display of high principles in life, and porridge in particular is demonstrative among breakfast foods.

I hope this helps to clear things up for you somewhat.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You could have just bypassed all that crap and said, "It's cheap and easy." :p

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

A few moments later:

*language warning!

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    To be fair, though... that meal happened after several unsavory activities... it was more like breakfast for dinner--aaaaand thread back on track. :p

DarthTunick likes this.
  9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Actually porridge for both breakfast and dinner is unhealthy. That's not balanced nor should you be eating a food item with such a large amount of carbs and lack of other nutrients for dinner. It's not needed.

That being said, I just had pancakes for dinner suckasssss now getting back on my bs Dickensian high horse.

10. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Scrambled eggs and bacon on toast is a regular dinner item at my house, although mainly only when I have cooking duties. Back in my student days cereal was also a regular dinner item but mainly due to abject poverty. Now I only do cereal for dinner after a ridiculously large and long lunch. For example, last week, I did the degustation menu at Rockpool which went for about 3.5 hours, so had corn flakes for dinner.

11. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    True. The guile occurs before breakfast. If unsavory activities were unattainable, it will usually segue into a breakfast alone. Any attempt to engage in promiscuity following breakfast is taboo. Dickens would agree, btw.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

[​IMG]

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

It's liverwurst (or liver paté if you want to be fancy).

You've been corrupted. You've bought a small arsenal of guns, too, haven't you?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

That's one way of getting your arse fried on death row.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I was fine with porridge until that damned Goldilocks came by the house and ****ed everything up.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

tl; dr and what harps said. Regardless, that is one fine line of bs that cannot in any way explain how foodstuff (or even the activity of consuming said foodstuff) be deemed "honorable", Wocky-san.

A meal is a meal. It can be satisfying or not. It can be hot or cold and be enjoyable or not depending the circumstances in which it is prepared and consumed. Both the activity and the food are necessary in order properly begin one's day and function properly within the next 4-6 hours. It is really nothing more than that, let alone honorable. If you do think so, you sir, are tripping on some interesting consumables.

I do hope you at least complemented that arguably delicious carb-attack with some protein. :p

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Actually, Invidious, dietary laws are one of the most common types of religious ordinances in existence, so tying foodstuffs to some broader ethical framework is not half so ridiculous as you propose.

18. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    In any event, I seriously doubt you have a Dickensian horse. Nor would it be high.
    [​IMG]

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I just had a sausage & bacon "Lean" Pocket as an evening snack... I suppose I should feel guilty about that.

20. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I just had a veggie omlet at Bob Evans.

21. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I love having breakfast for dinner. That usually happens when I run out of ideas for dinner so I'm like "**** it, ima make some eggs and/or pancakes".

22. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I can eat cereal at any time of the day. I'm particularly fond of Grape Nuts. Crunchy, crunchy Grape Nuts. Num.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Grape nuts are the best.

Darth Guy and DarthTunick like this.
  24. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I've never understood why they are called Grape Nuts. That's like calling Corn Flakes Pickle Berries.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I had some delicious scrambled eggs with hash browns just now. Mmmmm