main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Breaking News: DARTH VADER themed TV Specials to come 2014 from Disney!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Count me in, only if Vader is the super badass like he's supposed to be, if it's dark, serious, and if not for adults only then at least leaning more on the mature side. Vader shows for kids and/or family is not cool with me.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You must really hate ANH / ESB then Spicer!

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

I like ANH, but love ESB (it's actually my favorite SW movie). However, I think Vader is portrayed well in all movies. What I meant in my previous post is that a Vader-centric show should be darker than the OT, since in the OT he is not the main character (or if some consider him to be, then he is not the only one in any case). IMO, the tone of these TV specials should be at least as dark (if not more) as the scenes with Vader in the OT, which I think portray him as a serious threat, not to be underestimated.

4. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

It's the "Vader Bunch" :D

5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I'm not at all interested in Darth Vader specials! I think we've had much more than enough Vader/Anikan already. I want to see SW go forward, not forever backward. I'm also not interested in shows where the villain is the main character. I like the heroic characters.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's perhaps the key point - do they mean Vader or Anakin? And how do you make the plot work when the audience know Vader can't be killed? He can only be humiliated before his boss so many times after all.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

You just need to make the boss suck as badly at it as he does. [face_whistling]

[​IMG]

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    They better frickin put these at least 2 years out from ROTS.

I'm sick of the 19-18BBY time period. If this is something canon, and something serious, show us Vader a few years into his career, but not as far out as Rebels. :/

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    edit: wrong thread

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Oh God please no.

[​IMG]

That's weird, they forgot to put the live-action series on there. Probably an oversight.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If Rebels is 5 BBY, I think it's safe to assume the Dark Times moratorium is officially over.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Why not? Lucas was against Wookiee Jedi before he wasn't anymore, or something.

13. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I would expect that these specials, being launched only a few months before Rebels, are designed to lead into Rebels. Since Rebels is going to be 5 BBY, something chronicling a few broad dark times themes leading up to the situation in Rebels is likely. As a result I fully expect these to be animated and to use the same TCW/Rebels method we've seen before.

I think we might see a focus on the development of the Inquisitorious, if that group is really going to take center stage in Rebels, possibly with Vader in trainer/overseer mode.

Alternatively, these specials also offer the opportunity to clean up some lose ends from TCW - Vader killing Maul perhaps?

HEDGESMFG and darklordoftech like this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I wouldn't mind seeing Vader eliminate Darth Maul in an adaptation of the core premise of "Resurrection" in the same way that Maul's inclusion adapted the core premise of "Old Wounds," i.e. Sidious pitting Maul against a suited Vader for the role of apprentice. One idea I like that came out of Maul's survival is that Anakin has killed every movie Sith that has a definitive demise, which currently is Tyranus and Sidious, and metaphorically you might say that Anakin killed Vader. I was sort of hoping Anakin would complete the whole set on TCW, but Vader fulfilling it either in a TV special or Rebels would suffice.

Loopy777 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No, just no.

spicer likes this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Unless they want to save Maul for the ST.

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

spicer and Zeta1127 like this.
  19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Your joking right. The idea that Disney were not going to milk the most iconic villian in film history for every last Vader breathing penny, when they bought Starwars should to misquote comic book guy have been the most obvious thing ever.

The main worry is if they don't get James Earl Jones back and instead use chad Vader from the Force Unleashed games.

20. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    The only way for a villain to exist is with a hero, and the other way around. Villains actions establish what the heroes have to overcome, and help their character development, showing how brave they are to fight the dark side, and reject the philosophies, that the Sith can't.

I like Vader because he is wrong about everything, and to some extent aware of it. He's not a complete total villain in the sense of Darth Sidious. (Although a show about the Emperor would not be very eventful, with his manipulating days long behind him, and chair-spinning days long ahead of him.) Vader's the only one really supporting the Empire - despite corrupt officials, alien slave trade, super-weapon construction, propoganda about force users, homicidal Emperor and various things that come back to haunt him.

Circular Logic and CooperTFN like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love how Vader says that like Maul's an old buddy of his that he's surprised to see.

22. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    You know... if Maul's never killed on screen, Ressurection is already canon (unlike Old Wounds). Could that Maul have robotic legs underneath and per-chance be the original after all if nothing else is ever done?

I'm surprisingly okay with the idea of Vader offing him anyway.

Though Owen doing it wasn't bad either.

Circular Logic and Mia Mesharad like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    My fanon/headcanon is that Sidious used Maul like Plagueis used Venamis as an experiment subject. But instead of midi-chlorian manipulation, the experiment is essence transfer into a clone body. Thus, in "Resurrection," Sidious has successfully put Maul into a clone body, and now he's testing his apprentice since he's at the point where he's actively trying to replace Vader.

HEDGESMFG likes this.
  24. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    I had considered essence transfer as a possibility when pondering this.

Still, I'd love it if we get Vader to do this on screen. Still prefer if he's dead before ROTS (and I'd prefer Obi-wan to finish what he started), but I'll take it if Vader does the deal.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  25. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I meant "you'd have thought we'd have heard something about this by now" not "this is a really big surprise". Considering how much hype there is around Ep. VII and Rebels right now, the fact that there are going to be multiple TV specials apart from those projects seems like a pretty big deal, and I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't leaked before now.

And I agree, Chad Vader needs to stay away. JEJ or even Scott Lawrence would be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.