main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Breaking News: Top Gear's Richard Hammond "critically" ill in hospital after high speed crash!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Aquila_Skywalker, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquila_Skywalker

Aquila_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2004
    So y'know Top Gear the coolest show on TV? Well Richard Hammond might die after a high speed crash in a jet car whilst filming the new series :_|

link

2. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    OMG!! i hope he gets better! keep us updated

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I think saying "he might die" is a bit melodromatic.

But it's the same as Steve Irwin. In that line of work, you're gonna have accidents :(

Hope he recovers soon though

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Good luck Hamster.

We need you back on Top Gear so that Jezza can take the piss out of your inability to drive.

280mph is quite a feat as well.

5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Anything but the Hamster!! Get your baskside better, or else Sundays'll be even more boring than they are already!

6. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    For a change, being short probably helped him :p

7. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    No offence to anyone or any moral, but this guy is lame IMO.

Still...get better and all that I guess...

:rolleyes:

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Not a fan of Top Gear then?

9. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    [image=http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42111000/jpg/_42111486_hammond300.jpg]

LEGEND! Get well soon, Hamster! [face_praying]

10. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    For God's sake! We've already lost Steve Irwin, do we have to lose the Hamster as well?

11. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Wow, 280mph eh? That must have been some crash.

Hope he gets better soon, and i'm sure he will.

12. _Durge_

_Durge_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2003
    thems the breaks

13. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    wow

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm between the 2.

Hate the program (cars = yawn)
    Not surprised he had an accident (bound to happen)
    Hope he gets well :)

15. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    :eek: We cant lose hamster!!!!

hope he gets well soon [face_praying]

p.s thats twice recently he has flipped a car, remember when he was mock-escaping from inspector stig in that little van.

16. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    This sucks sooo much.

Hope he makes a full recovery. I know he has a wife and kids, so for they're sake I hope it isn't life threatening.

I watched the news report on the BBC website and they said that he had regained consciousness shortly after getting to the hospital, which is a good sign.

Lets hope he pulls through. The "Scandanavian Flick" was one of the funniest things i've ever seen on topgear, but even that could have ended badly. Plus I remember his writting in the Mirror about getting whiplash from crashing another car.

I think he might be trying to push himself too far. But lets just hope he learns from his mistakes and lives to driver another day.

Get well soon Hampster.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, to be honest, if he's had 2 crashes, seems a little late to "learn from his mistakes". He's had 2 already, so being frank, another crash seemed inevitable.

Is this purely down to him, or are presenters on Top Gear "pushed" by the producers and/or the fanbase?

18. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    When I first opened this thread, I was hoping it was going to be something along the lines of the "Button in horrific F1 accident" thread that popped up a while back.

Part of me was expecting and hoping for a pic of a hamster that had fallen out of his wheel or something.

But sadly no..

And in response to your question, Quentin Willson stated clearly that "There is no pressure from the BBC or the producer to take undue risks".

Whatever the outcome, it's safe to say that this is almost certainly going to be the end of Top Gear as we know it.

But what does a damn TV show matter when your talking about someones life?

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, putting on my cynical hat, of course there is no "official" pressure from the producers.

But I doubt they'd say no to certain stunts and dangerous activities if the fans and ratings demanded it

20. Confidence

Confidence Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    See the thing is, it shouldn't be the end of Top Gear 'as we know it'. Every occupation has its risks, and everyone involved takes the best precautions they can take. It would be terrible if the health and safety bods managed to get Top Gear shut down because of one accident. We must not be living in a world where all risk is ruled out of life - and we're getting damn close to that already. Top Gear, (IMO), shone as a beacon against health and safety over-reation. Even if he dies, there should be a period of consolidation and the show should return wiser, but uninhibited.

21. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Amen!

22. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    A very similar thing happened in the late 70's.

Neol Edmonds and Chris Tarrent used to present this stunt/dare/danger show (can't remember the name?).

A guy was killed when trying to do a stunt in a car (if I remember correctly). Even though the show was a big hit at the time, it was immediately cancelled.

Should Richard not pull through, I think the same thing would happen to Top Gear.

As popular as the show is, it's just a TV show and subject to the opinions and mandates of the powers that be.

23. Confidence

Confidence Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Yes well such opinions are over-reactions designed to placate the lowest common denominators, which in this case are health and safety officers.

24. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the hamster.
    fingers crossed.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes, the reviewing/cancellation of a show due to the death of a man is pandering to health and safety people :rolleyes:

It wasn't a car accident if I recall. It was someone being flung on a large piece of elastic tied to a crane (the forerunner of bungee jumping), and the elastic dislodged.

And it was the end of Noel Edmonds on primetime Saturday TV until House Party.

I believe it was the Late Late Breakfast Show

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.