main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Breaking the Habit- Exploring different eras and characters

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by obi_ew, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Breaking the Habit

Hi everyone! Have you ever found yourself contemplating trying to write something that you always swore you never would? Have characters from one of the other sagas ever gotten under your skin and no matter how much you try to exorcise them, they won't leave you alone? Have you found yourself clicking on one of the other boards searching for stories about this character in hopes of learning more about them? Ever been afraid of admitting to your friends on the boards that you're interested in trying your hand at another era because you were afraid they'd make fun of you? :)

Are you wondering what the heck I'm talking about? Let me explain.

I've been guilty of avoiding the EU like the plague up until very recently. [face_blush] When the subject of torture in fanfiction recently came up I lurked on the thread and found the name of the book Traitor pop up constantly. Being the nosey person I am, I finally broke down and bought the book to find out what everyone was talking about. After reading it I was shocked to find that not only did I enjoy it, :eek: but I was now intrigued by the character if Jacen Solo. I'd always heard him described as being whiney so was amazed by the character in that book. Now I find myself reading more of the EU books and clicking on the Beyond boards looking for stories about him. I'm even fighting a battle to keep myself from trying to write something with him in it. [face_worried]

I was just curious to know if this has happened to any of the rest of you and what your thoughts are on the subject. Would you ever give in to the temptation to try your hand in another era and if not why? And what do you think would be the reaction you'd get from the regular writers and readers on that board? Would they give you a shot or shun you? I know several authors write in all three boards so I'm curious to hear what you all have to say.

Is it wise to break our habits and test the waters on another board? Step out of our comfort zone?

2. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Nice title. :p

I have a Jaina/Jag vig sitting on one of my disks, that I'm actually more or less happy with. I just thought maybe it wasn't enough, or maybe it was too much. I should finish that thing. I would love to write more about them, because as a couple, they're so fascinating. They work together much like Mulder and Scully, to me. What encourages me is the way they're portrayed in the books - sometimes their characters are so extreme, they come off like caricatures, and I'd like to think of them as somethnig different. But what stops me from writing them is, again, the books, mostly because I haven't finished the NJO. [face_blush] I suppose I could ignore the books altogether...

I know I had something else to say, but dammit I can't remember.

edit: Now I remember. The person, or rather, family I keep thinking about is the Fel family. Especially Chak. :D

edit: Remembered something else! I think it's perfectly fine for writers to wade into new waters. Some readers might not be interested in anything but JA stories, some might want to read only K/J. But if you treat your new era of interest the same way you do your comfort zone, i.e. put in all the effort and love and obsession, I think the loyal readers will follow you to another board. Plus, you'll gain a few new readers from that new board.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I got so fed up in 2001 with bad writing of the EU characters that when I came back and saw almost nothin but J/J K/J J/TK J/T, J/OC... and all the other backslashed relationships that had nothing to do with H/L or L/M or A/A, I swore I would not ever write them. I could not get into the popular swing of things. Then, one day, I had an idea for a vignette that fit Jaina perfectly. Then, I decided to give myself a laugh and write one of those improbable stories where everyone gets stranded in the wilderness and end up getting married afterwards. That story--Under My Skin--now has a seque in the works, much to my chagrin, because it turns out I'm mildly good at writing it and I like to snicker at the dialogue I craft for them. And then, last night, I bit the bullet and went "The heck with it, I'm going to try and write Kyp/Jaina." It took me until a week ago to even LIKE that pairing, so writing it is unthinkable. But I had lots of fun doing it.

It's very fun to break the habit.

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I've always wanted to write an X-wing fic, but I'm not comfortable with the combat-lingo. I love Wedge, though. He is, next to R2, my favorite character in the OT (yes, even more than Luke or Han!)

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Would you ever give in to the temptation to try your hand in another era and if not why?

Probably not. I write in both pre-saga and saga eras and am comfortable there but more importantly, I've never thought of a story for the ByTS board. I have read all the EU books (some several times Traitor [face_love] ) and I enjoy the characters... especially Jacen, Luke and Mara but, for some reason, that story universe just never pulled me in.

Heck, it's hard enough to finish the stories I have going now, never mind breaking into another era....

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I have to honestly say that the reason I don't write in the Saga is because I'm a canonist. I prefer to leave the entire area around the movies alone because I don't want to change the canon storyline and interacting with them peripherally always smacked of Mary-Sueism to me.

I prefer to write pre or post saga, but the whole EU has really turned me off. I don't like what the profic authors have done with my favorite characters, so I avoid that time period as well. When I say post-saga, I mean way post, like 100+ years.

Anyway, I really can't see much reason to break with that tradition, though I do have to admit that I have an AU earth crossover that would (when finally finished) take place partially in the Saga period.

7. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't know if anyone knows it, I keep it hidden pretty well, but I usually write about Obi-Wan. :p But I wrote a short story about Dooku surprising Qui-Gon with a visit during a mission after his break away from the order. Obi-Wan was in that one, but then Kynstar kinda inspired me to write another Dooku piece. I wrote a romance vig between him and Jocasta Nu. I enjoyed it very much and the words came very easily. But I know I'd never write outside of the Before the Saga/Saga eras. Beyond wouldn't hold my interest.

Obi-Wan's been dead too long in those. :D

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Renata, I know what you mean. I'd love to write an X-Wing story. I loved those books. The Rogues and the Wraiths are so much fun, but I don't feel like I could do the flight combat or action sequences justice. :(

9. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    The grand majority of the stuff that I've written is Jaina/Jag, though I've branched out a bit into some other characters (Han, Leia, Padmé, OCs, the Fel family in general). I used to run away from OCs in fear of making them Mary Sueish (and instead made them 2D characters :p ), but I'm currently in the process of writing a full-lenght fic situated a couple hundred years before ANH. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it.

I've never really had a problem of thinking up story plots for different canons. Stories come to me as "what would a character do in this situation", then I plot it out, and then I write it. Any of the fics I have could probably have been written for one of a hundred characters :p ;)

~LtJS @};-

10. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    Well, for a long time, I only wrote Jaina/Jag or Beyond the Saga era stories. Mainly because they were what I was the most famliar with and it seemed easier for me to get inside their heads than other characters.

I spent a lot of time on ff.net and all I could find was horrible Anakin/Padme and other PT-era fics. I swore that I'd never write any of those kind of fics. And then I read a couple of A/P stories that had been nominated for the 2004 SFFA, and I was so hooked. I absolutely fell in love with A/P and went and wrote two viggies and started a longer wip.

So yeah, I broke the habit, and I have an absolute blast writing Anakin/Padme now. [face_blush]

11. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    While it was still in Saga, I broke out of writing Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Garen and started writing OT. I found I lost many of my usual readers. I always wondered if that was because I had gone outside of their usual reading habits, or they just weren't interested in what I was writing anymore. Got me a bit discouraged, to tell the truth (as you well know, OE, since you listened to me :p). But I've started building up a new readership, which is great.

That said, I've been happy with the switch. I've really expanded my horizons, and I'm quite proud of what I've produced. I think it's my best writing yet. Write it, OE, and they will come. :D

Shaindl

12. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    If someone was to look at the fics I have listed in my bio, there isn't really any pattern. I mean, I have things from a handmaiden fic to a J/J angst songfic, to a majorly AU fic about Tycho and Winter's daughter to Oil or Ewoks, a humor piece. I know that I personally have a lot more sitting on my desk thats getting dusty that tends to be more towards the Beyond the Saga era. I don't know why, but it's where I tend to write for some reason.

A little while back though, I did get an idea for a BftS story and I would love to actually be able to get myself to go and write it, but I'm rather cautious about going into the forum and all.

Okay, stopping now before I ramble on for a page or two. :p

:Targeter:

13. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Great insight so far. Thanks guys! :)

Shaindl I have to agree with you on several points. OC's have captured my attention so when I started my all OC fic I did lose some regular readers. Some people only want Obi-Wan and I can understand that. I do however get much more enjoyment out of writing my OC fic then I would if I were still writing strictly Obi fics. And on a personal note I have to agree that you're doing some of your best writing. :) Like you I've been fortunate to keep many of my regular readers while gaining some new ones. It was tough taking that step into all OC land. I think stepping into the EU which I currently know little about would be even more frightening! [face_worried]

, I did get an idea for a BftS story and I would love to actually be able to get myself to go and write it, but I'm rather cautious about going into the forum and all.

Targeter you should! Before boards are very laid back and easy to jump into. :) But I understand your hesitance. That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I'm interested in Jacen but am having to start from scratch learning about him. I just worried how those who know the character well would take to a newbie Jacen writer. ;) Plus I was anxious that I was the only weirdo who formed this type of odd obsession with a new character. :D

Okay, stopping now before I ramble on for a page or two.

Ramble please! ;)

For those of you who mentioned having little to no interest in exploring other eras or characters ( LE :p) do you ever worry that you'll become bored with what you're comfortable with?

14. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    I did get an idea for a BftS story and I would love to actually be able to get myself to go and write it, but I'm rather cautious about going into the forum and all.

Targeter you should! Before boards are very laid back and easy to jump into. But I understand your hesitance. That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I'm interested in Jacen but am having to start from scratch learning about him. I just worried how those who know the character well would take to a newbie Jacen writer. Plus I was anxious that I was the only weirdo who formed this type of odd obsession with a new character.

*mutters some curses* And now the BftS bunnies number 2. Argh, the evilness. *coughs* Yeah, anyways... You're not the only person who gets an "odd obsession with a new character." I'm obsessed with Mace Windu, Depa Billaba, and Nick Rostu because of Shatterpoint. (love the last line of your sig btw. ;)) Actually, that book gave me a really neat plot bunny for BeyondtS with some characters I've never really played with before. But Jacen is somehwat of a complex character. I mean, before Traitor, my view was, "Kill the whiney little brat already and give us back Anakin!" While it still is somewhat like that view, Traitor actually gave Jacen a personality and more interested in hsi character. Good luck with that, btw. And if you do post that story, send me a link. :)

Okay, stopping now before I ramble on for a page or two.

Ramble please!

You probably don't want me too, it would be like 40 pages filled with typos upon typos and I'd probably forget what I;m talking about mid way through. ;)

Hmm, could this topic also be extended to pairings? because I've found that those are almost as hard to break away from, if not harder, than a comfortable era and set of characters.

15. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Sure! Toss the pairings in. I don't know much about the Jaina/Jag pairing and such yet. I just bought about five of the NJO books so I hope to get a better feel of the EU folk. I do have this thing about Obi-Wan and Xanatos. ;) Have a hard time breaking out of the habit of sticking those two in every fic.

Love Shatterpoint and Nick! I would love to see him used in fanfic! I for one don't have the sense of humor to pull it off. :D That book was sort of along the same vein. I'm not a Mace fan but decided to buy the book and fell in love with it.

16. Darth_Suzi

Darth_Suzi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2004
    I'm going to make a big confession here. Not only do I have trouble breaking the habit in writing--Intertrilogy through pre-NJO, but pretty much nothing outside of those boundaries--but I also have trouble breaking it in reading. I don't really know why. I absolutely love the JA series, and when I read a BftS story, I'm generally in love with it, but I don't go to that board that often, and when I do, I lurk. [face_blush] It's something I'm working on, but it's not easy.

Breaking the habit in terms of pairings... Well, I'm working on that, too. I have dared myself to write a J/J vignette by the end of the year, and believe me, it's not easy. I'm not precisely a huge fan of the pairing--more of a K/J person--and I've actually never written anything involving either character.

It's easy to get into a rut involving the same characters, over and over again, and breaking the habit is really fun--even if none of those stories will ever leave my hard drive. :p

17. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Oo. OOO!! *restrains herself* I just got a challenge idea, sorry, lol.

Yeah, I can't remember if I mention this before, but I've actually got a story in hte back of my mind right now that's set in Beyond but it heavily based up on events that happened in Shatterpoint... I'm debating on whether put Nick in there just because I love his attitidude towards everything.

*coughs* Before I go into a rant about Shatterpoint and the awesomeness of it...

Yeah, anyways, lol. I personally know next to nothing about Xantos and I think I've used Obi Wan in both my Saga fics... Yeah... yeah, I did.

What pairings do you tend to write? I myself generally like J/J and I'm not really sure if I've written some other pairings. Oh wait, I'm writing an Eirtae/Valin Halcyon one right now... Do you tend to stick with a pairing or do you vary each time?

18. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I can relate to the reading portion also. I tend to stick only to Obi and Xan fics. Its only been recently I've gotten into a few OC fics. I've lurked on the Beyond boards but don't know the authors well enough to know who I should check out for what I'm interested in. :(

Suzi do you think you'll ever let those fics breath? ;)

19. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    What kind of Beyond stories might you like? I've got a decent idea of what goes on around there and all.

And yeah, Suzi, do you think you'll ever let them see the light of dday? :)

20. Darth_Suzi

Darth_Suzi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2004
    I've decided that tomorrow, I'm going to only be on the BftS board, just for the spirit of breaking the habit.

Anyone want to join me in a stay-away-from-your-usual-boards day? :D

Um, the fics would probably have to go through major revision, considering that their mostly major sleep deprivation fics, and kind of strange. [face_blush] For example, I have an Obi/Qui/Xan fic that was birthed when I was buying a pass for the NY Metro. I finished about one page, and then I realized that I had to do way more studying up on their relationship. I'm a closet obsessive of the JA series, but I don't actually own the books, so I have to borrow those of my friends, and she reads them a lot too. ;)

21. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Lurk only on the Beyond boards for an entire day? [face_worried] Maybe we should take baby steps first. :D

Obi/Qui/Xan :eek: My kind of story!

Targeter I'd like to find some good Jacen centered fics. Only problem, I don't care for romance and the few I've found on my own are heavy on romance. :(

22. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Go to Before for an entire day? The longest I;ve ever lasted was 1 hour! :p

Hehe, when you said Jacen centered, I was like "Oh! I know some!" and then when you said the little romance thing.. it all went away, lol.

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Suzi Don't believe everything OE tells you about Xan. :p The man is evil. [face_devil] LOL. There are a number of people that write that set of characters but they all have their own take on the people. I think of him as evil, OE doesn't. You could probably play Xan a number of ways. Same with Obi/Qui.

Always looking for new fics. Go for it.

Targeter, are you saying there are only Jacen romance fics on the Beyond board? I'd be interested in Jacen non-romance as well. I loved Traitor and have read all the EU books. I DO like Jacen and have from the start even when others thought he was whiny...

24. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Xan is not evil! :mad: :p

Romance seems to be a hot topic on Beyond at least from what I can tell. There have to be some non romance ones don't there? ( hopeful face)

25. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    I'm sure there's some non-Jacen romances out there, but I just can't name them off the top of my head, lol.

And yes, believe it or not, we do occasionally write some non-romances over at Beyond... Ocasionally the key word there... lol.

But I'll see if I can dig some non-romance Jacen stories up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.