main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Breath of Night (Obi, Qui, & now Dooku!) **COMPLETED**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cascadia, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Superb attention to detail Cas You created beautiful images with your wonderful words :)

Absolutely exqusuite ;)

2. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    I dont know what to say...I really dont..

That was a wonderfully breath takeing post..

Keep up the wonderful job Cas...

PT

3. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    oe [face_blush] Thanks!
    Jovieve Thanks! :) And yes, that is exactly why Obi-Wan is there.
    LP Thank you! :D
    Ginger_Jedi Exquisite? [face_blush] Thank you!
    PT :D Glad you like.

4. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    yes, that is perfection.

listen to the ghostie, obi. She's telling you something important.

5. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Hmmmmmm! I inspired that? Moi?

Well, then - go, ME! :D

Beautiful, Cas - and don't go all false modesty on us. You've always had a lovely gift for radiant descriptive passages - and this is no exception.

Lovely scene, lovely Obi!

More soon would be good.

CYN

6. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    What a breathtakingly vivid scene (or should I say "scenes"?) you painted! :) Very nicely done.

7. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Paddy Yep, Obi should listen. :)
    CYN Thank you. :D But I always have your example to strive toward. I was specifically reading some of the passages in Haven and some parts where Obi-Wan meets Saischel (And I'm sure I mispelled her name.). I admit I was never as excited about literature as I am now until I read AUF. I just love that story, and I love the way One Door Opens is going, too. Oh, and Songs. And I could could go on and on.
    Lurkalidth [face_shocked] A new reader!!! :D Thanks and welcome to the thread!

8. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    [face_shocked]

Beautiful post!! Riviting!!

MORE MORE MORE MORE!!!

9. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    That was simply beautiful Cas! Your imagery was exquisite. I certainly hope that Obi-Wan can accept what is being revealed and forgive himself.

10. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    [face_shocked] Cas, I'm speechless. (AS usual. 8-}) Beautiful imagery. I loved how Lyril comes to give Obi a lesson on the nature of the galaxy. [face_love] Amazing job.

11. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Oh- that was wonderful!

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that the merchant said it was over the sea.

12. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002

Arwen_Jade :D Thank you! More when I can!
    Sheila Thanks! [face_blush] I love the word exquisite! We shall find out if Obi-Wan can do that . . . uh, maybe in the next post, maybe not. I'm not exactly sure yet.
    WH :D Thank you! I wondered if it would make sense. I guess I wrote it alright.
    Kitara Thanks! I know how difficult it is to keep things straight when following so many stories. :)

13. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Another beautiful chapter, I loved the poetic descriptions.

*is insanely jealous*

Wonderful, as per usual.

14. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wow, Cas. You just keep getting better and better...and better and better and better.

That chapter was gorgeous, soft, and beautifully written.

I don't know anyone who wouldnt' be jealous of that.

Fantastic. I absolutely loved it. [face_love]

15. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Suzuran Thanks! :D It's nice to see all of my favorite writers here.
    LE Another one of my favs. :) [face_blush] Thanks, but you guys are too, too nice.

I'm still working out what's next - and still working out some grammatical errors, as some of you have probably noticed. :D It's been way too long since I've had any English. I'll get more up as soon as I can. :)

16. Knight_Larin

Knight_Larin Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    ok..unlurking...! I just wanted to chime in that I enjoyed the last chapter very much, and the description is absolutely beautiful. Some of the finest imagery I've read throughout! Great job. :)

17. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Ooo, a delurker. I'm excited! :D Thank you, thank you, thank you, Knight_Larin. [face_love] Join in more often, if you want. We don't bite. ;)

18. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    i have something to read in theology class now!! yeah!!! thank you!! happy red!

EDIT: i read it and i had to share it with a friend it was so beautifully written! wonderfully done!!

19. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    RJK [face_blush] Thank you! And I'm flattered that you shared with a friend. :D

Everyone Sorry about the wait, but I couldn't decide on something in the plot. I have it worked out now, though, so I should have more up in a few days. :)

20. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Well, until then, UP! :D

And, just gotta say,this is a beautiful, gripping story, Cas. Definitely one of my faves. Then again,all yours are. ;)

21. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Thanks, LE. :D I think I might have a post tomorrow, board time.

22. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    CHAPTER 8~Unchanging Hope
    Part 1

He ran his callused thumb down the textured binding, then withdrew the book from its shelf. Of dark blue leather, the volume creaked slightly as he parted the cover and gazed in it.

Tangible books like this were a luxury, a rarity, on most worlds. Even the Jedi Temple had progressed to laser data-storage. Qui-Gon's former master had an affinity for books, collecting his own personal library and had instilled the same passion in his impressionable apprentice. Tattered and yellowing at the edges as most of his own were, they showed their considerable age. Yet here, in Indurier, there was an entire library full of them. And many of them glowed in newness.

"Oriyan," Qui-Gon whispered in the hush of the sanctuary. It was an old form of Basic, over two millennia ago, before it had been corrupted by Ja'nehlan influences. His studies of the ancient times had been beneficial in more than one occasion and would now allow him to read the historical texts in this oddly technological port kingdom.

Indurier was as polar to Dimisfree as Coruscant was to Alderaan. Maybe more so. While it retained an old world style atmosphere, the city was also ripe with the advance of technology. Speeders roamed the streets; pedestrians basked in the trappings of commerce and made full use of hand-held comm units. And the biggest - and most relieving - aspect of all was a medium sized spaceport.

Dimisfree, Qui-Gon had learned, had outlawed most advances in technology. The kingdom had lived in darkness for ages.

He had already made a call to the Temple on Coruscant. The Council, in all their stoic glory, had expressed concern over Obi-Wan's plight, promising to do all they could to help. But the padawan had crossed a line when he had agreed to the Thralage terms.

The old tradition of Thralage had existed for thousands of cycles, leaving the present populace unaware, or uninterested, in its origins and long-forgotten laws. Even Deru Ketoma, the generous silk merchant who had given Qui-Gon free passage in a sternwheeler across the Hibrian Sea, had no knowledge of the intricacies of Thralage law. Thus, Deru had directed him to the vast, multi-floored Udiriom Library, only a block away from the harbor.

Upon first entering, Qui-Gon had suspected that he would discover nothing of importance when the very unfriendly librarian had reminded him of a certain other librarian back at the Temple on Coruscant. But a nice elderly woman had overheard and offered her assistance.

Now, he perused through an old volume on Thralage, hoping there would be something to help.

~*~

Last night, Obi-Wan had stood on his balcony, overlooking the restless sea, and entertained thoughts of Coruscant, the spacious golden halls of the Jedi Temple, his simple apartment with the deep brown carpet and Qui-Gon's jade-green tea set of delicate china that seemed too fragile to hold anything.

He had gazed upon the three waning moons, the pale pink one growing rosy red and dipping lower in the heavens. It was another difference from Coruscant, where only two moons gleamed and the unyielding light of civilization dimmed the skies. There, the oceans had been drained, and life subsisted on atmospheric dampeners and artificially-created ecosystems.

But there . . . he had also been free.

Obi-Wan walked gingerly into a large courtyard that he had been told he was allowed to go in, and looked over the curving groomed hedges and sienna brick walls that were draped by a summery sun to the east. Splashes of scarlet and sapphire and lemon blossoms dotted the garden and crept over the earth as groundcover. The air was spiced with pungent fragrances, some sweet, some bitter, and there was always the briny smell that underlaid everything.

There were a few soldiers that watched from atop the surrounding walls, but overall, he was left unmolested. He was still a slave, but yesterday's vision - if that's what one would call it - had settled most of the turmoil within his heart. Oh, it was still there - for

23. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    no, but the Council seems to be taking their usual, oh so sorry you're in trouble, get out of it on your own, we're too busy to bother with Padawan's approach.

i would think it is more than blatantly obvious that he was tricked, dazed, exhausted, confused, not knowing the culture, with a dying master, and she pressures him, telling him his master will die without him doing this? uh duh, folks. get your heads out of your chair contact and do something besides kiss up to the politicians.

24. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Froggy Well said! I always thought the Council was more concerned about following protocol than genuinely caring about those in need. :D

The boards are sure slow at this hour.

25. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    You would think that the council would actively try to think of a way out of this mess, at least Qui is trying something... but I still hate that he did'nt blast Obi out of there. 7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.