main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Breath of Night (Obi, Qui, & now Dooku!) **COMPLETED**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cascadia, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I hope to have up the next part soon(meaning a few days). I have a little time to work on it today, and I settled on what direction to take it - after trying two other ways that just weren't working out. :)

2. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Okay, here I am with an update: the epilogue! [face_shocked] I decided that this story needed to be longer than I was planning and I want to do it right, so I'm separating it into two stories. It works better for me this way, too, since I want to plan out the sequel better than I did this one and write the whole thing before I post any of it.

Special thanks to eveyone who has stayed with this story?especially since I've practically disappeared from the boards. I just can't do the day-to-day thing here anymore; the monotony was literally driving me nuts. And, after much, MUCH deliberation, I may actually write more fanfics, as long as I write them completely before I post them, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this story. And I hope this little end will be okay and keep you hungry enough for the darker, angstier sequel when I get it done. Oh, and I know I said you'd find out where Obi-Wan is in the next part, but, well . . . sorry, there's no Obi-Wan here. [face_blush] He'll be featured prominently in the sequel, though. Please read this anyway; it's short. :)

EPILOGUE

Warm golden light flushed the clouds in the distance, preparing to end another day. Qui-Gon stood on his terrace, hands resting upon metal railing, hair blowing lightly in the approaching evenfall's breeze. He drew in a breath, hoping it would ease his tension, but was instead left light-headed in the cool wind.

He had returned to the Temple on Coruscant since there had been no leads to point them where Obi-Wan had been taken. Qui-Gon had been shaken, to say the least. Not only had he lost all sense of where his padawan could be?thanks to the Force-suppressing wrist bands placed on the young man?but also he had lost a part of himself, part of his faith in that all-encompassing power.

"We will continue to keep our field operatives on the lookout for him, Qui-Gon," Mace's impersonal voice assured him from behind.

But it was not reassuring, in the least. And Qui-Gon smiled bitterly at that thought.

The Councilor had apparently let himself in without Qui-Gon's knowledge, and come to stand at the threshold of the terrace. Another point to his loss of focus. How could he expect to ever find Obi-Wan in this condition?

"I know you will, Mace." Calm. Unmoved in his tone, in his posture, yet none could see the storm that raged beneath, unrestrained and wild in all its tenacity.

But Mace guessed what was there. He had known the taller man since they were initiates together in the crèche. "I believe Obi-Wan will be found. We must keep faith."

There it was. The appeal to stay true and mindful. To never abandon his conviction.

A quick tuck of hands in his rough robe's billowed sleeves and Qui-Gon turned to meet the steadfast gaze of his longtime peer. "I will meditate." Succinct and serene.

Mace's dark eyes faltered briefly, showed his understanding of that simple statement. The mahogany-complexioned man swallowed, gave a short nod, before spinning on his heels and letting himself out of Qui-Gon's apartment.

Loresce and her friend Jalin had been as much help as they could on the planet Briyenna?the planet's name where their troubles had begun. Qui-Gon held no unforgiveness toward them. The young woman had developed a terrible crush on Obi-Wan; she would pay for her part in the padawan's disappearance. Dooku had returned to the far reaches of the galaxy, out where he felt free of Republic control.

Qui-Gon was alone here. There would be no dirty laundry in the most unlikely places, no datapads left on his bedsheets to remind him to read the next mission report, no waiting to use the 'fresher, no padawan draped provocatively across the old gray stuffed chair in front of the window.

Turning back to the sunset, Qui-Gon reflected on his life, all the pain he had endured, two apprentices lost. Different ways, but lost, all the same. A Jedi's life was never easy, never safe. He had never disillusioned himself in that respect. Attachments were greatly discouraged, bu

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Bravo! Excellant job of keeping us dangling with little hope of being saved any time soon! ;) I'm thrilled you are planning a sequel and may stick around for more fics! Waiting to post until the fic is completely written sounds like an excellant idea. Alot less stress! * sits and waits * :)

4. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    NO You can't leave it there- NO NO

5. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Beautiful, Cas - but can you say FRUSTRATION? Holy cow, Woman. You've surely been taking Sith lessons!!!!

Glad you plan a follow-up, and I know exactly what you mean about the constant grind. I find it more and more difficult to check out of one story and into another one; my 'focus' is totally screwed.

I will, I think, manage to complete the projects currently in hand - well, most of them, anyway, as I'm not entirely sure Freeze Frames will EVER come to a conclusion; it may just mosey off into the sunset one of these days. But I WILL finish all the others, and then have someone cut off my fingers if I ever again get roped into more than one story at a time.

Come back when you can - I'm sure we'll still be around, God willing.

CYN

6. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    well, on the plus side, a new series means we get more of your stories, so...

but now we have to wait. ah well.

i think you did a great job on this story.

7. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    As the sun slid deeper in the distance, he saw hope's light fleeing, saw the end of another day, saw sullen shadows closing in on another chapter in his life. :_|

What a beautiful but heartbreaking ending Cas. I am glad you are going to follow it up with a sequel and look forward to it. :)

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    A wonderful, stunning end to a breathtaking story, Cas. Your works are of the few who set the standard around here...What's good, what's great...and what's just awesome! ;) I know a lot of readers are inspired by your talent (one of them being me [face_blush] ). Your flowing prose is brilliant, as are your storylines.

I'm jealous, of course...But also beyond ecstatic that you don't plan to leave us entirely. The boards wouldn't be the same without you around! :D

Loved the story. Will love its sequel....and anything else you plan on writing.

Good idea to write your fics through before posting. That'll be a lot less stressful for ya...I should have thought of that! [face_laugh] Oh well. 8-}

Excellent job, Cas!

LE

9. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Ahh sorry Cas for not staying on top of your posts. My exams have been screwing with my fan fic schedule...

Oooh good ending. It's always interesting to have an open ending like this - makes a change as well from all the mushy endings (which are also very enjoyable might I add ;) )

I'm glad to hear you might do a little more writing too because you're a great writer :D Damn good thing because you've GOT to write a sequel for this too ;)

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Wait, wait, wait....you're going to leave it there....until you finish writing the sequel?!???!! How fast can you write?

Lovely and touching but I feel like I did at the end of TESB and the ship is flying away...you can't stop there!!!

Okay, as long as you will finish the sequel...and I am very glad that you will continue to write. It would be a shame to lose such a marvelous talent.

Looing forward to the sequel!!! And really take as long as you like. I'm sure it will be wonderful when it finally gets posted.

11. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Finally had time for replies. :) Thanks to all the faithful readers! You're what makes posting here such a pleasure.

oe Thanks! Yes, less stress! And I just got a good deal on a used laptop, so now I can write in a nice quiet place. Maybe I can get the sequel done faster.
    Kitara I can't??? [face_shocked] . . . [face_devil]
    CYN Heheheh . . . Well, you'll just have to be patient. [face_devil] . . . I'm sure it must be difficult writing as many stories simultaneously as you are. I'm glad they will all be finished. But even if FF isn't, like you said, it's the kind of story that doesn't really have to be. And thank you! You've been such an inspiring author to look up to.
    Froggy Thanks! Besides this sequel I still want to do that 'Remnants' sequel, too. I have both storylines forming in my head right now. And I've actually started on both of them.
    Sheila Thank you for being such a faithful reader! :D
    LE [face_blush] Thank you! I really don't know what to say about that. There are so many awesome writers around here - including you!
    Ginger that's fine; exams are more important. . . . I thought it would be a good idea to end it like this - especially since the rest of the story will be so different. Thank you for reading! :)
    Diane Yes, I'm leaving it there. [face_devil] How fast? Well, um . . . it might be a few months. [face_shocked] Can you wait that long???? Thanks! Waiting until it's finished will give me the opportunity to go over the whole thing and take things out or add things in, make whatever changes I want before posting. Hopefully, it will be a better all-around story.

12. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Just a little 'up' for those that may have missed the end - if you call it an end. [face_devil]

But anyway, I have the first 2 chapters mostly finished. I'll just make minor adjustments to them as I write more. At this rate, I could have it finished in a month and a half or two. It's going to be darker and different than this was. I hope you guys like it.

I'm still going to do that Remnants sequel too. Also, there's a little story I'd started over a year ago that I may rewrite and finish.

Thanks everyone for reading! :) It's amazing that others like to read what I write, and I can't thank you all enough.

- Cas [face_love]

13. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    All caught up!! *phew*

FABUOLOUS ending! But I really want that sequel darn it!!

14. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    I'm a-working on that sequel, AJK. Glad you liked. :) And thanks for the nomination for Best Drama. [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush] I honestly didn't think I'd ever be considered for anything, and it makes me all the more thankful for such nice people here, and to keep trying to do better.

15. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    I'll eventually let this this sink, but I want to thank Froggy for the nomination for Best Pre-Saga Story ? Completed. [face_blush] It's very wonderful for this fic to be thought of for an award. Thank you!!! [face_love] [face_love]

Still making progress in the sequel. I almost have 3 chapters done. :D I think I write faster when I'm not posting. I know it was that way last year with my first few fics I wrote. Anyway, I'll get it done as soon as possible! :) Catch you guys later!

16. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Thanks for the nomination, CYN! [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.