Breath of Night (Obi, Qui, & now Dooku!) **COMPLETED**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cascadia, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Master

star 4
    Just checking in, Cascadia. :D
  2. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks, Arwyn! :)

I almost had another post written, but it wasn't nearly up to par. So, I'm going to have to rewrite it. :( I'll get back here when I can.
  3. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
  4. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Cas, how did I miss this?!

I go AWOL for a few months and THIS is what happens. But, then, I prefer to look on the optimistic side - I have to wait a shorter time until the next post. :p

Wonderful imagery - inflicting a good chunk of Obi-angst into relatively few words. I love it!

On a strange planet? Lacking the ability to heal his master? Oh, my dear Obi, how horrible - for you...

But, seriously, I look forward to this (and reading your "other" fic, as I have grown lax in my travels to the "other" site) with a sitting on the edge, don't know what will happen type of looking forward. I've said it before, and am certainly not loathe to repeat it, but you are one of the authors whose work I truely look forward to. I hope to see more of this soon!

~Antigone
  5. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the 'up' Jovieve :)

Antigone [face_blush] Thanks for your compliments, and welcome to the thread. :)

NOTE I've decided that I am going to wait until my other story is completely finished before I continue with this one. Sorry, guys, but I just can't work on more than one at the same time. But it shouldn't be too much longer, as I think there are only about two or three parts left of 'Remnants in the Mind'. Then, I can devote all my time to this, and I'm looking forward to it.

I have a real good idea where it's going. Please note that I changed a little of the wording in the prologue to where now it says that Qui-Gon essentially is in a vegetative state. That part had been bothering me before, and it didn't make a lot of sense the other way either. And I extended the summary too.

I hope everybody will still be interested when I get this going. Thanks for your patience! :)
  6. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Rise, my friend! [face_devil]

(Fancy way of saying "Up!" :p )
  7. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    That's okay Cas :)

I always have felt that working on one fic at a time makes it that much better--and besides, I can't possibly take on any more new fics right now :D

I look forward to following this when Remnants is done. Catch you at that other site :D

--Shan
  8. Lieutenant_Page Jedi Master

star 4
    YAY! Another Obi-Wan fic to read! I'm hoplessly addicted! This one looks fantastic so far. :)
  9. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
  10. LuvEwan Jedi Master

star 4
  11. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I guess I'll wait, Cas , but that first post was so emotionally wonderful. Well, 'angsty' might be a better word, but it was very well done. :)

I guess I'll somehow find the patience to wait until you begin this one again. ;)

Aun
  12. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow! I've never had this much interest in anything I've posted here before! [face_love]

Suzuran Thank you for the 'up', my friend. [face_love]

shan Thanks! I can only work on one multi-part story at a time, although I might be able to do little short short stories along the way, like I did One Small Child. :)

LP I hope it's ok to call you that. :) Thank you so much!

Jovieve Thanks so much for the 'up'. :D

LE Thank you too, my friend! [face_love]

Aunecah Thank you! It shouldn't be TOO much longer. I'm working on probably the last part of my other fic. Then I can devote my time to this. :D

Thank you, everyone! [face_love]
  13. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    I just finished my other story, so I can get back to this one. YAY! I hope the ending to Remnants is satisfactory. But anyway, I'll try to have the next part of this up within a few days. :D
  14. Sheila Force Ghost

star 4
    The ending to Remnants was terrific as was the rest of the story. I look forward to following this fic just as closely. Can't wait for you to start posting. :D
  15. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Sheila Thank you for coming along for this story, too. [face_love] I look forward to your insightful replies.

Post coming very soon!
  16. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    HOW did I miss this?

Cas - this is great! Hooked after one post. **shakes head** I really don't have time for another fic, but I'll make an exception in this case.

Can't wait to see the new post!

Shaindl
  17. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Shaindl :cool: Glad you found it!

I hope people will still be interested in this. Please? [face_hopeful] Updates will be regular now!?!

I was sort of proud of my poem when I first wrote it, but now I think it stinks. But since I had already mentioned it to Jedi_Suzuran then, well . . .

Darkness crept from shadowed lair,
    And claimed its right to gardens fair.
    The molten sun soon took to flight,
    And I there alone felt the breath of night.

CHAPTER 1~Purple Night

Obi-Wan wrapped his cloak tightly around him and left the haven of the cave with the illumination of a glow rod to direct him. The night was cool and still, and as he traveled over the rocky mist-soaked ground of the mountains, falls of water quietly roared nearby, sending their soft mizzle in his path.

He emerged from the suffocating dampness of the mountains and paused at the edge of the rocky range. Soft wind caressed his face as he stood at the foot of the mountains. From the midnight veil of the sky, shimmering with tiny winks of light, to the sweeping shadowy black plains, the whole world was drawn with shining threads of silvered twilight. Three moons, heavy and pearly lucent, sat upon stark lines of treetops. One luminary gleamed pink, another blue, and the last gentle gold.

Thankful silence had swallowed the Dibari camp far below. He had made a routine of stealing away to that particular cave every night, while the nomads sang their morbid chants.

At the same time every night, they gathered in the center of their camp. He could not understand the words, for they were spoken in their native tongue, but their sorrowful sound was more than his aching heart could handle.

He knew it was for the death of the child. . . . The child that he had killed.

His eyes dropped to a splattering of pale flowers trembling in the calm breeze. They were beautiful, he thought, the way they caught the light of the moons and held it, seemingly emitting a very faint glow. Every time he had passed them by on the way to or from the cave, he could not help but stare.

Crouching next to them, he searched for the most perfect ones. Finally, he found two with the roundest petals all opened invitingly. He carefully plucked them and tramped through the tall blades of wet grass toward the warmly glowing fires of the Dibari camp.

Just outside the huddle of huts, he stooped beside a small mound of stones. It was Lyril's resting-place - the child who had died. With a hand unsteady, he placed one of the blooms on top of the mound, and then proceeded into the camp.

Most of the huts had already been rebuilt, and the camp was quickly becoming what it once was before the devastation of the tornado. Everything was returning to normal.

Everything . . . except for Qui-Gon.

A few of the nomads lingered outside their dwellings, talking and preparing to retire for the night. They paid him little attention, and he understood none of what they said. Most of them knew Basic, but it was not their native tongue, so they never bothered to speak it unless they were talking directly to him.

Obi-Wan reached the small hut where his master lay and entered through the heavy shell ropes that hung as a cover, hearing them clicking softly as they closed behind him.

Immediately, he saw the Dibari shaman kneeling beside Qui-Gon. The man was chanting, as he had done every day. Obi-Wan had guessed that it was some sort of a healing ritual. The shaman's pale violet skin was covered with sweat, darkening the ochre simple gown he wore. A plate of strung prismatic beads covered his chest, while a crimson leather band was fastened around his head. As he turned toward the padawan, the man's proud features seemed impassive. He said not a word as their eyes met.

Obi-Wan broke eye contact first, casting his gaze to his master lying on a pallet of coarse woven blankets. Qui-Gon's eyes were open, staring at the ceiling. The light that had once danced in their deep sapphire depths was muted and dull. Where there was o
  18. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ooh. Nice update, Cas . Poor Qui. This story is nice, refreshing one after the ones that I read in which Qui acts like a son of Mr. Idiot and Mrs. Stupid. I wonder what all that commotion is about :confused:

Aun
  19. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    :) Glad you're getting to work on it! Can't wait to see how things develop.
  20. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Aunecah This story is nice, refreshing one after the ones that I read in which Qui acts like a son of Mr. Idiot and Mrs. Stupid.

Yeah, I like to write Qui with some sense. But that doesn't mean there won't be a little disagreement later on. [face_devil]

obi_ew Can't wait to see how things develop.

I can't either, LOL! I have an idea of where I want this to go, but I'm not very clear on the details to get there.

Thank you both so much for reading. [face_love]

I'm heading out to see 'The Two Towers' now. Be back later. :D
  21. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What a lovely post. And what are you talking about? The poem was lovely! :mad:

*sniff*

I inspired someone. I never thought--

*runs off the thread sobbing*
  22. LuvEwan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh my gosh, Cascadia. That was so breathtakingly beautiful, and so very discriptive. I felt as if I were there, could feel every moment of Obi's pain. Every sentence was perfectly crafted, and fit together in an almost rhythmic way. I loved Remnants, wish it could have gone on forever, but I'm glad you can focus on this!!!!

Wonderful!!! [face_love]
  23. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Suzuran [face_blush] Oh, I'm glad you like the poem. I wouldn't have written it if your writing wasn't so lovely.

LE [face_blush] You're so nice! I wasn't sure if I got Obi-Wan's emotions okay. I didn't want it too overblown, so I held back a little bit. I was a little sad to end Remnants, but I'm glad to be working on this now.
  24. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just lovely, Cas. Don't think you have a thing to worry about. This is developing beautifully.

Can't wait to see more.

CYN
  25. Sheila Force Ghost

star 4
    I was so excited to see an update on this Cas ! And what a beautiful, heartbreaking post it turned out to be. I could feel Obi-Wan's despair, guilt and isolation. :_|

I can't wait to find out what the commotion is all about. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.