main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Breathe. Just Breathe: Positivity For The ST Thread (see warning on page 5)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I suggest this gif:

[​IMG]

2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Ah man, I have so much positivity for the sequels, and everything that goes with it.
    I was a lapsed fan in the late 2000's, early 2010's. Never even watched TCW because it didn't appeal. I'd never really much wanted a sequel trilogy, because the post ROTJ EU always just seemed to me to be a bit perfunctory and redundant (not that I gave it much of a go - it just seemed to be fleshing out the universe but not with anything that seemed useful)

But I have enjoyed the fandom so much more since the sequels were announced - I love TFA but in a way the peripheral stuff, the talking, the new EU, the expansive world building with some hints of coherent and important bits of lore being dropped in obscure places to be enjoyed and shared (and then shouted down and disagrees with too - all part of the fun)

It's also pretty much inspired me to change my career direction, or give it my all. I'm going back to uni in September to do an illustration degree, and it's inspired in no small part by my dedication to improving my geeky art as I try to create works of comparable quality to Struzan, Shipper etc

3. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I have been waiting for this thread. :)

What I'm most excited about?
    -Finn waking up and getting out of his coma
    -More Finn and Poe buddy moments (John said they will be there)
    -Luke Skywalker finally TRAINING someone!!!! The one thing I've been waiting for since age 10, reading the old EU. And yes. hearing MH say "Breathe..." Is the best thing ever. Love it so much, ridiculously excited.

4. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I read most of the old EU books, and DANG is Luke training Rey in TLJ going to be SO much better than comperable scenes in the old EU. I really disliked how unevenly Luke was written in the old EU, although with tons of authors writing different books, that was inevitable.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  5. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Got to post a 2nd time cause I'm feeling the vibes.

As a fan from OT I now have a daughter and she is about the age I was when saw A New Hope when my parents took me. She adores Rey and something that I like so very much is that there can be a character for girls in Rey that can be as inspirational as Luke was to me. And that Rey is a strong and positive model for girls. Even if there are a few boys who get unexpected black eyes from it :)

More to the point though is I'm getting to enjoy StarWars all over again though a different prism and for the minor grips I love that I have been given that opportunity and experience. I feel we are in new territory where StarWars is building life long fans again. That is brilliant.

Now I'm going back to focus on my breathing.

6. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    - more Luke! & Carrie
    -the settings look awesome so far
    -Rose seems interesting-anything to do with the Whills/those scrolls
    -a possible potential maybe Anakin force ghost
    -more BB-8, which will make my daughter mad since she thinks he's taking R2's place and her rants about it make me laugh :r2h:

MS1 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It being the last time I must venture into an unforgiving wintry wasteland to see a Star Wars movie.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I'm excited not to have to wait a week and try not to get spoiled (was traveling for work when TFA came out and couldn't see it until I got home.)

I can't wait until I get the butterflies in my stomach when the music starts and the crawl begins. I'm six years old again, and the magic is just as great now as it is then.

I can't wait for Luke to actually have lines.

I want to know what the Balance means.

I'm okay with a balanced Force user that doesn't have to pick sides of the Force but rather let's the Force move him or her.

I'm hopeful that Leia and her son will have a scene together.

I'm ready to cry and say goodbye to Carrie Fisher all over again.

I want to know who Snoke is, how long he has had his claws in Ben Solo, and what is his role in the upper story.

I want Finn and Rose to make me laugh.

I want Poe to have a purpose.

I hope there is more to Jakku than meets the eye.

9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    more rey!!!!!!!

Jacques who and Jazz9276 like this.
  10. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    I...just...wanna...know...what happens next!!!!!

DarthIshyZ and Darth_Articulate like this.
  11. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  12. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Makes me wonder if Rian will be visiting the binding of Isaac where Abrahsm's loyalty to God is tested by the edict to sacrifice his son.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_of_Isaac

Will Luke's loyalty to the darkside be tested where his nephew is the sacrifice, and mercy is the reward for loyalty?

13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes please. Something like that would be a thrilling direction for the ST to go in. I don't take RJ's "liking" the article as proof that it's accurate about what it foretells about TLJ, but I suspect that there's at least a kernel of similarly there.

14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

[​IMG]

15. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Here's my rey of sunshine: no idea about Colin but Rian Johnson seems to be a genuinely lovely man who seemed to be very affected by the existence of all of us fan - I'm confident that he's putting his heart and soul into TLJ and I can thank him for the effort.

(iel I don't think he's in it for the money or the connections).

16. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Wow, not sure if this is the most epic autocorrect in the history of ever, a colossal Freudian or just an overtired whoops. I meant LIGHT SIDE.

Seriously, I don't want luke to go dark.

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I wouldn't bet on it! ;)

Mostly Handless likes this.
  18. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    Ok, I got it all figured out. Luke and Ben were searching for one of the Journals of the Whills. But not a book but The Book. We could certainly speculate what's actually I that book in the JOTW thread, but I'm thinking it talks about the cycle of light and darkness. I started reading Bly's A Little Book on the Human Shadow and I'm thinking the ideas about the shadow (and the cycle) are in that book. My point is that there seems to be a history repeating motif in the Jedi purge 2.0, force tree burning (my take is it's happened before to that tree and the book seen in the trailrr), Kylo as Vader 2.0, etc. So Luke and Ben found this book that said this "fight" between light and shadow is never ending. Ben, as Kylo, sees it as an excuse to "finish what was started" and settle this battle over balance through aggression and violence. Luke decides to break the cycle by bowing out, in peace, to the will of the force. Luke wants to break the cycle, Ben/Kylo wants it to continue...and he keeps sending this message to Luke: history repeats and will repeat by burning Luke's temple, killing jedi and burning down the force tree.

Also, as Jung was frustrated by "Jungians" misinterpreting the shadow as evil, as opposed to the unconscious, so does Kylo. Luke gets it right.

On a side note, kinda reminds me of the Jerusalem temple restrictions.

19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    My only beef with this take would be that for the 30 minutes or so of Noah on the ark where he becomes the villain is not only unenjoyable viewing, but almost devoid of tension for me - because no matter how well Crowe acts the part, or how much they want us to believe Noah will commit what he believes as necessary - you kind of know it's never going to happen - so, to me at least, it felt like treading water. I appreciate we're not going to get a like for like parallel, and I dig a lot of what Rachel's article is saying - but it'll be a tricky arc to make work in SW movie, especially as the audience for SW has a different expectation of Luke Skywalker IMO - though if RJ can strike a better balance, and ultimately Luke comes back to the fray fully energised (as the trailer might suggest) then I think it could be very interesting.

20. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Oh, I actually don't enjoy "Noah" very much. In part for the very reason you cite. I just like the idea of RJ using elements of the "vengeful arm of God" nature of Noah in Luke's initial approach to Kylo and the Jedi. And the idea of Luke flirting with an almost fundamentalist back to basics could be really interesting.

However, I would hope it's just an echo. And certainly handled with a lighter touch - and more subtlety - than Aronofsky did.

Jedi Jessy and Satipo like this.
  21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah - if it does go down that endurance test route (and I don't see RJ doing that - he also wants this movie to be a fun adventure) then we really would be in trouble.

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Dubrovnik and Ireland are fantastic locations for a Star Wars film. I'm not against using CGI but shooting on location can't be beat.

Mostly Handless and Gigoran Monk like this.
  23. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003

No...we get enough rain in Oregon....no more please.:p but yes im going to love it. Ive learned since the prequels, 2 fundamental things...love it, because its star wars and love it despite it being star wars.

24. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Only on page 2, but I reiterate everything that's been said.

I'll only add that I'm looking forward to the pics from that camera he's carrying. If he's snapping behind-the-scenes pics like he says (and was on stage), that should be soooooo good! The director's viewpoint!

25. Chiaroscuro Side

Chiaroscuro Side Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Humor

Really looking forward to some humor, maybe even between Luke and Rey. Imagine something like a scene, after Luke has stopped being grumpy, when he and Rey are sitting by a fire on Ahch-to. We get a little bonding between them as they talk about growing up on desert worlds, sharing a moment as they both talk about how much they hate sand...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.