main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Brett Favre will either retire or play football (maybe)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Story here

I'm shocked that he's going to go out with that INT in the NFC title game as his last play.

Wow.

So amazing, I'm making a new thread and not just posting it in the NFL Thread.

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    But Inty....is that..legal?

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Rather surprising, I wouldn't have thought he'd want to go out on such a down note.

I find it rather fitting, though.

4. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
  5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm actually not too bummed about this. Time to get on with the show, let's give Rodgers a shot.

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004

[face_laugh]

7. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Un4gettable.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I will make it legal[/obligatory]

So, where does Favre rank on your all-time list of quarterbacks? Best ever to win a Superbowl but not win a Superbowl MVP?

9. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    He's certainly the toughest. Probably the most popular of all time as well. I am a Packer fan but I can't say he's the greatest overall. Too many clutch situations I can remember where he didn't come through. I will say he made throws I don't think any of the other greats could make.

10. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Wow.

I'm not much of a Favre fan, but this is still shocking and now that its finally come, upsetting. Shame he didn't get to give a proper goodbye to the fans on the field.

11. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I don't see what's so earth-shattering about the announcement. The guy has played professional football at such a high level for 17 years. Each year for the past five years there has been talk of his retirement. I say, good for him. Go home and enjoy time with the kids, make tons of money doing broadcasting, and enjoy the good life.

Favre is a class act and he will be appropriately honored by the NFL, the Pack, and the fans. I have no doubt the favor will be returned by him.

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    :(

Favre has been Wisconsin's hero for so long. This is going to be strange w/o him.

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm a Favre fan. I know that he did throw a lot of picks during his career, but he also threw a lot of TDs and his team won the Super Bowl twice. I'd probably say that he's one of the top three quarterbacks not to win the Super Bowl MVP.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't see what's so earth-shattering about the announcement. The guy has played professional football at such a high level for 17 years. Each year for the past five years there has been talk of his retirement.

Because he's always talked about retirement but never actually retired?

I know I'm very surprised, I figured he'd go at least a couple more years. That said, good for him, and I hope he enjoys retirement.

15. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    They went to two SBs but only won once.

16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_blush] I knew that. Silly me. They ran into John Elway once. :oops:

17. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    As a Bears fan...it's about time. :D

As a football fan, he is clearly one of he best of all time.

GB was still looking to be pretty good, but I guess the prospect of trying to fight through the season again wasn't enough to pull him back. They really had it set up this year facing NY in GB.

It will be interesting if GB struggles a little bit but is still in it (division or wild card) in Nov/Dec, if we start to hear calls for him to comeback and make a playoff run.

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i've always thought that when favre retired it'd be the end of an era for the NFL, and it's finally happened. he'll be missed by anyone who enjoyed watching a great competitor.

oh, i agree with whoever said that he made some plays no one else probably could have. that one where he flipped it under arm this past year anyone?

enjoy life brett, you've certainly earned it.

:snoopy

19. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006

[face_plain]

20. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    What a great player. What a great competitor. What a great quarterback.

It's hard to fathom that for the Green Bay Packers, the last time they had to worry about a starer behind center, it was 1992. A quarterback who started 253 straight games? That's simply unheard of. (I bet a bears fan would have a hard time counting how many qb's they've had since '92 :p)

Favre may not have left the game on a great note, but he will certainly go down as one of the greatest of all time. I never thought anyone would ever pass Marino's passing yardage record (the guy was 10,000+ ahead of Elway at #2), but Favre managed to surpass him in the same season he broke records for career wins and TD passes. If nothing else, he played long enough to accomplish those marks, as well as prove that his team is as good as be boasted a couple years ago. If Rodgers is as good as the team says he is, they'll surely be back in the playoffs next season.

21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    As far as Favre not leaving the team on a great note, he is. People are going to choose to remember his acrobatics display that got the Pack farther than anyone gave them credit to get this past year.

They're going to remember this stuff:

OT MNF vs Broncos

Magic

22. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    That game never happened, thank you very much. [face_not_talking]

:p

23. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    definitely, i didn't even remember that his last pass was an INT until i read a couple stories on it. my fave thus far is the don banks one on SI, followed by peter kings favorite story. favre really did become a down to earth guy.

:snoopy

24. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Boy, is it going to be weird to see the Packers without him.

25. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Oh, Aaron Rodgers is the image of Brett Favre. He was [sarcasm] amazing [/sarcasm] at Cal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.