main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Brett Favre will either retire or play football (maybe)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan

Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Brett Favre is my hero. It is very sad to see him go.

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    The game I will always remember, the rest of my life, is the MNF game the day after his father died. Under probably the worst strain any human can play football under, he had maybe the greatest first half of football ever played by a QB. He was as close to perfect as you can be, and you could see that his team mates played their hearts out for him. I don't think a WR dropped a pass the entire game. If they could get a hand on it, it didn't hit the ground. That was just one of those Moments. Those Moments when you know you're watching something special.

I'm glad I was able to get to a game at Lambeau this year and be able to see, in person, him play and just carve up the ViQueens. He was a special player, he was our Quarter Back. Next year might be the strangest season of football I'll ever see, because he's not there. I only started following football right near the end of the Majikowski years, so this is going to be different.

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Wow...:(

I can't believe it, you thought he'd be around forever. Football won't be the same without him

4. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    So many memories with Brett. The MNF game after his father died(still chokes me up) The pass to Andre Rison in Superbowl XXXI. Diving for the winning touchdown to make the playoffs in the final Green Bay Game at County Stadium. Even this the pass to Jennings in the Denver game. But what I'll remember most is very first game winning drive. Favre to Kittrick Taylor for a td and the win. The start of something very very special. Number 4 thank you so much for all that you did.

I'd like to add one more thing and it's not so much a Favre memory but I like to think that another Favre gave us a little help. It was the last of the 2003 season against Denver. Packers needed to win and the Vikings lose. Packers win they take the division. Vikings win, Packers are out of the playoffs. So the Pack have their game wrapped up leading 31-3. But the Vikings are leading their game against the Cardinals 17-12 I believe. Arizona just scored and went for the onside kick which they got. Then all of sudden with just seconds left the Cardinals score a touchdown. 66,000 in Green Bay explode, an additional 4 million across the state of Wisconsin go crazy. The Packers live on to fight another day. You can say what you want but I think Irv Favre wanted to give his boy just a little help.

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    People can say he went out on a bad play... but that's all it was, one play. His last season was one of the best of his career. His team went 13-3 and made it to the NFC Championship game. That's a pretty damn good season.

And for everyone talking about him not being great in the clutch... the reputation of him throwing an INT in clutch situations is pretty much just from the last half decade. In his prime, Favre ALWAYS led his team down the field when they needed it late in the game.

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Everyone brings up the game against the Raiders in 2003 and understandably so, but I think his most overlooked great performance came against Oakland in 1999. He played with an injured thumb and said he couldn't even feel his hand. He threw a touchdown pass to Jeff Thomason with just 10 seconds remaining. That was when he broke down in the press conference afterwards saying he was so drained.

I think that game proved just how great a leader he was.

7. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Right, but those last 5-7 years are part and parcel of his career, since that's when he racked up the numbers to break all of the major records.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003

yeah, let's all judge every single athlete by the last 5 years of their careers... we'd have almost no great players.

and the last 5 years weren't when Favre racked up the numbers to break the records. That happened in his first ten seasons in Green Bay. He broke the records in the last 5 seasons, but that was because of the numbers he put up in his prime. Don't make silly posts full of nonsense.

9. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Fixed.

[image=http://aaron-rodgers-news.newslib.com/img/logo/3449.jpg]

The future of the Packers. :D

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    If you want to cry, watch Brett Favre's retirement press conference. :_|

11. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Watching Brett Favre cry is something you never forget. It was hard for me to hold back the tears. :(

12. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Not at all what I said. I'm just saying you can't just cherry pick the great parts of his career, especially since his longevity is one of the things that makes him great. As I said in the NFL thread, Favre has probably the single worst playoff resume of any quarterback since the year 2000. That's not "nonsense", it's just facts.

13. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Whats the odds that the City of Green Bay changes the street after Mike Holmgren too Brett Farve?

14. Darth_Eradycus

Darth_Eradycus Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2004
    there's already a "Brett Favre Pass" so I doubt they'll change "Holmgren Way". Maybe Brett will get a statue at one of the stadium entryways. He'll undoubtedly get in the ring of fame and have his # retired at their first home game this fall.

15. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    He's played in 8 playoff games since 2000... he had two really horrible games. a 6 interception one and a 4 interception one... but take those two games out and he has 11 TD's and 6 INT's in the other 6 games.

even including those two horrible games, he's got 14 TD's to 16 INT's... obviously not good, but like I said, that's two horrible games obscuring a small sample size of stats.

Jeff Garcia, Marc Bulger, Brad Johnson, Trent Green, Jon Kitna, Byron Leftwich, and Steve McNair all have worse playoff resumes since 2000 then Favre does. and let's not forget that Favre took the Packers to the playoffs 5 times in this decade. He did all that while past his prime.

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think the dissecting of Brett Favre's career and looking for reasons to knock him is a perfect example of the over ESPNification of American sports. No one is happy to just enjoy games and players and teams anymore, we have to analyze everything and look at it from every angle. We can't accept greatness, we have to look for flaws in every player and in every team.

It's probably best to just remember that Brett Favre holds almost every major record for a quarterback in terms of career numbers, and that he joined an elite fraternity of Super Bowl winning quarterbacks. He also owned up to his mistakes on and off the field, making him a great role model.

17. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Buzz! You're skimming over that two of those other 6 interceptions were thrown on the very first pass of overtime in games the Packers went on to lose.

As for the other guys you mentioned, I'm guessing you selected them on a strict statistical basis, but each of them has started only a handful of playoff games since 2000. I will give you one player who has possibly a worse resume than Favre: Donovan McNabb. Game ending INTs in two consecutive NFCCGs, 3 INTs in a third, and just a poor game in Super Bowl XXXIX. The difference is, he's one of the most criticized players in the league.

You are right that the fact that he's played in so many playoff games in that period of time is a testament to him, and I'm not disputing that. Obviously at least 25 teams would kill to to have had Favre's body of work in the past decade. I just think there ought to be more perspective.

18. TomPryce

TomPryce Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2008
    I am glad he retired because he was able to retire on top. It is alot better as a fan to see him leave after the season he had, then to see him struggle for a few years with and leave after a 3-13 season.

19. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Sal Paolantonio keeps it real.

20. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999

21. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Aaron Schatz keeps it real.

22. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I think critics tend to forget exactly what Favre had surrounding him that last decade of his career. Either way, Sal Paolantonio's a tool anyways. :)

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And you can't excuse all of it, but some of it is coaching. Mike Sherman turned out to be a horrid coach. And one of his biggest failings was his inability to reign in Favre. That 6 INT game is an example. A good coach doesn't let Farve do that. But Mike Sherman's attitude was: "Its Favre, let him do what he wants." Also the reason behind the 29 INT season of 2005. Then McCarthy came in and was able to get a handle on Farve, get him to buy into the system and not just fling the ball everywhere.

24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    exactly, one must wonder how those seasons would have gone under mccarthy. the only other coach to manage doing that, really, was holmegren... and what did you have then? three MVPs in a row and a SB win, and then another appearance the following year. not many teams manage that one.

and i loved schatz overview of it. great article there.

:snoopy

25. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Bingo.

I always thought that Sherman seemed like he was below Favre when he was there. If time was running out and we were behind, he just put it all in Favres hands and that's how those desperation interceptions tallied up.

Yes, Bart Starr was indeed amazing. Probably the greatest quarterback on 3rd down conversions. But that whole team was just solid during that era. Plus, Bart was terrible before Lombardi arrived.

I absolutely hate comparing those 2 quarterbacks being a Packer fan though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.