Arena Brett Favre will either retire or play football (maybe)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediCouncilMember Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, If I'm a Minny fan I'd be worried that all of sudden he has Favre throwing it 35 times a game instead of just handing to Petereson for 25-30 times and Taylor for another 10-15. I figure Favre shouldn't have more than like 25 passes in any game, not with that D and run game, but we'll see.

I forget the game last year, but Childress has serious time management issues as well. If you read Mike Lombardi (National Football Post) I think he went through it play by play. Might have been the playoff game against Philly. Reid is pretty bad as well.
  2. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Childress did learn time management from the master Reid.
  3. KGhobgoblin Jedi Knight

star 1
    As a MN fan, I'm impressed at the maturity and civility of all the comments on this thread. It puts ESPN to shame. I totally agree with a lot of the criticisms and share concerns about the number of interceptions and Brett's durability down the stretch. I just think he's better than what we had, even if he's a "C."

In the same respect that you take away a friend's car keys or cell phone when they've had too much to drink, someone needs to take away Chilly's challenge flag. Giving it to him just enables him to hurt himself. Although it's become somewhat a of an entertaining Kabuki theater every time there's a questionable play during a Viking's game, it's also like watching a child run out into traffic; you know something bad is going to happen. If Chilly keeps all his timeouts, I think he encounters fewer time management issues.

I think all three from the NFC North (Bears, Packers, Vikings) have a good shot at making the playoffs. It could be the best division in football, and certainly one of the more exciting.
  4. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    i wouldn't even count it in the top three. i'd put the NFC east, AFC south and NFC south probably ahead, maybe the AFC east as well, or instead of the NFC south. were those divisions to play head to head, i'm pretty sure that the NFC north would get the short end of the stick almost every single time.
  5. KGhobgoblin Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll grant you that the Lions bring down our batting average, but I think the NFC North's top three are better than anyone in those other divisions with the exceptions of Tennessee, New England, and Philadelphia (if TN doesn't miss Haynesworth and Brady/Westbrook stay healthy). I think the other teams in the NFC East and South will be so so, as well as the other teams in the AFC East and South.

The reason I say this is because you have to ask "What changed?" between this year and last. Of all the teams in those other divisions, there are only a few that improved for the better: the Falcons made a major offseason move by grabbing a HOF TE and Ryan is only going to improve, the Patriots will get a HOF QB back, Buffalo grabbed a wildcard in Owens, Dallas got rid of a virus in Owens, and Philadelphia got someone to split the load with Westbrook. Seriously, that's it.

Compare those to the media-shattering changes in the NFC North. Unless you've been in a coma or POW, you've heard about the Favre and Cutler additions. The biggest jump a running back makes in performance is between his first and second year. Matt Forte will be in his second year, and has looked incredible in the preseason (had two TDs last night against Denver and broke a long TD run last week). The Vikings drafted an exciting young player in Harvin, who is "football fast" the way Steve Smith is, and rounded out their offensive line with the sixth largest human being in the NFL (Loadholt; 6'8, 340). Both of those teams had great defenses, and now they'll be able to score.

Green Bay's only weakness last season was defense, so they cleaned house and brought in a new defensive coordinator, a 340 pound monster at nose tackle (Raji), and switched defensive schemes (they're now a 3-4). Cleveland and Buffalo were held scoreless (against their first team) and the defense had four takeaways against Arizona, for a total of 12 in the preseason over three games. Furthermore, they will have a healthy Ryan Grant going into this season (last season he had surgery just before training camp).

This hasn't been a sexy division in the past, but there's a storm coming. You can see the clouds.
  6. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    they weren't anywhere near those divisions i listed before last year. while yes, they made changes, you don't know how those changes are going to work out yet in the actual season. they might be ON the level that those other divisions are now, but i would not put them ahead of them yet until they prove they are better. personally, i would still put the colts in the top four teams in the league, especially with manning actually healthy at the start of the year, harrison being replaced now which will help things out a lot, and their D seems to be playing better as well.

honestly, i will only put the NFC north up there when they prove that they deserve it. i will admit they have improved, but they have yet to prove that they are what you're saying they are.
  7. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't see the Bears being in contention for very long. Their defense is a major achillies heal and I don't think you can place the blame on Defense Coordinator Bob Babich. The fact is that that core is aging and Urlacher is a self centered club house cancer
  8. KGhobgoblin Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree with both of you that aging defensive players are a concern. For the Vikings, Pro Bowlers Pat Williams and Winfield are both entering their 13th and 11th seasons, respectively. However, if you look down their roster, the next oldest player is entering his 8th season (backup LB Leber) and pretty much all their starters are right at the 6th and 7th year marks. Also, the Vikings get LB E.J. Henderson back this year, which is huge.

The Bears have Urlacher and Ogunleye entering their 10th and 9th seasons, respectively. However, the Bears don't have any other defensive players beyond their seventh season and there's no reason to think they will fall off the map this year with essentially the same personnel as they had last year. I hadn't heard that about Urlacher and it's a little hard to believe because he's been the center of that defense for years. If he was really that much of a virus, I can't see the Bears making the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as their quarterback. That said, people do change and I think it was post-Superbowl that he was dating Paris Hilton and hitting the showbiz party scene. Too bad if he let the attention go to his head.

I also agree that this division hasn't been good in the past, but I'm making a prediction for the future based on the evidence I presented. On paper, the NFC North has a lot going for it.

I'm not sure about the Colts this year because while a healthy Peyton is a wonderful thing, losing Tony Dungy will take a toll on this team, particularly from a defensive standpoint. As an example, outside of Bob Sanders and Dwight Freeney, could a non-Colts fan even name a single defensive player on their roster? They really don't have a lot of marquee names and while guys might make leaps in ability this season, it's not something you can count on. Also, the presence of a truly great human being in Tony Dungy is an intangible that you can't measure. It's impossible to predict how the team will react to the new coach, but it's unlikely that he fills Tony's shoes. Consequently, I think their D will cost them some games this year and as much as my s65horsey will hate me for saying this, they'll be lucky to make the playoffs. Sorry if you're a big Colts fan.

Also, ESPN has the Giants in the Super Bowl this year. Does anyone else think they're that good?
  9. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    the colts D has always been a problem... yet they still are perennially one of the best teams out there. what will make the difference on defense is that caldwell (new coach) is interested in not just quick/speed players, but also those that can stop up the line. that was the one thing dungy always seemed to lack, that one or two guys who could stop up the middle of the line. he had that one year that i can remember, and then the guy had problems and was released.

honestly, the only major change is a new head coach. tom moore and howard mudd are still involved, and pretty much everything else has come up internally. caldwell isn't trying to fill dungy's shoes, he's making his own place and the team respects him because they've known him for a while. so if there is some huge drop off i'll be a bit surprised in all honesty.

as for the rest of that division, the last two years all FOUR teams have been in the running for playoff spots. name me another division other than the NFC east that has had that happen recently? don't think there is one. so while yes, i'll give the NFC north it's props for making some good moves, you can't count out those who are there all the time, and have been for years, when what has been getting them there personnel wise really has not changed very much, and they've just had another year to improve. most of those teams have the nucleus players either near or in their prime, or some people that have proven that their prime is somewhat larger than most peoples. pretty well all of those divisions i listed ahead of the NFC north have those things going for them, or major continuity. can the north teams make it into the top? hell yea. but they have yet to show any indication that they WILL. the pre-season really doesn't mean jack. so i say wait and see what happens before making any major predictions like that.

for the giants, if they get a wideout to take burress place, then yes, they are a super bowl team. they have the deepest defense, line in particular, in the league. i won't say the best, because that kinda goes to the steelers/ravens, but they do have the deepest and are best able to recover from injuries, when they show up.
  10. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  11. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I'd like to lol at the whole situation right now.

:oops:
  12. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    My re-post from the NFL thread.

Gee, what a surprise, Brett "Drama Queen" Favre allows the entire sports world to fellate him all day yesterday, before coming out to announce that everything that was reported yesterday was false.

The one good thing to come out of this, it seems more and more people are starting to get on board with what the Packers did two years ago. The play of Aaron Rodgers and the continued dramatics of Brent Farve are becoming stronger and stronger arguments that the Packers absolutely made the right call when they told him they weren't going to deal with any of this anymore and moved on.
  13. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
  14. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    The jokes for Brett's waffling are amazing. Waffle House needs to sign him up (or not).
  15. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    i'm somewhat surprised that he's willing to make fun of himself with it. doesn't seem like something someone like that would do terribly often.
  16. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I love what this thread has been retitled. That is all.
  17. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
  18. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Brett Favre will either retire or play football (maybe).

Yes. I mean, maybe. Wait, what?

lol, as usual... we all knew not to overthink this one. I'm not about to believe he's retired... well, until he's dead, honestly.
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Thank you :)
  20. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, me too. Goo Brett Favre...[face_plain]
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I should have put "Breaking News:" in front of the title :p
  22. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    As fun as it is to make fun of Favre, this "flop" isn't really his fault. He didn't make an official announcement on retiring (this time), only to turn around and say "maybe not" the next day. Media outlets picked up reports he was probably going to retire, didn't get confirmation from Favre himself, and ran with the story. They called it a done deal despite 1) Favre's history of flopping and 2) Childress' saying he hadn't heard it from Favre himself.

This one is on overzealous sports media, not Favre.
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    True, though Favre could have easily put a stop to it earlier if he wanted.
  24. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    And I'm not convinced he didn't send a couple of cryptic messages to a team member or two, knowing how they would be received. Then he just sat back and let everyone spend all day talking about him before coming out to deny it.
  25. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    The Decision:

Has that been used yet?

Seriously, Favre obviously has the Vikings literally drooling over themselves.

Should be an announcement tomorrow that he is "Officially Returning".

Meanwhile, ESPN has "Answer Coming"

Really, like we didn't know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.