main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Briannakin’s Away Thread – Bri is back

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Aug 12, 2013.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    [face_laugh] That gif kills me.

I hope you get a lot of plot fodder while you are there... er, um... have fun!! :D [face_batting]

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So I'm back! Had tons of fun, learned so much (we studied the Jewish creation stories - if anyone wants to hear about how Genesis 1-11 has been so badly translated and taken out of context, I will share), and have some crazy road trip/camping tales. However, I am exhausted, have piles of laundry, and kinda regretting not finishing that assignment before I left. Plus, I just need to rest. So I'll be around, but not extensively over the next week or so.

HAHAHA. I got some :D Learned some Classic Hebrew, participated in a cuddle puddle, and nearly got run into a tree, so you have that to look forward to in upcoming fics (hopefully).

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Welcome back, @Briannakin! Other than almost being run into a tree, it sounds like you had a fun and very edifying time; I'm glad to talk Classical Hebrew with you whenever you like. :D

Ewok Poet and Briannakin like this.
  4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Actually, the Genesis origin stories do sound very interesting; did they include the influence of Gilgamesh?

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Wondering the same! And welcome back. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    @Mistress_Renata @Ewok Poet Yes! We did! We learned about the context in which Genesis was written down (probably during and just after the Babylonian Exile) and how surrounding nations influenced Jewish creation myth (as it was was going through the process from an oral tradition to being written down) and how these were a reaction to other nations' myths (and we shouldn't look at these too much as literal, but more about the themes and the deeper meanings behind the stories). We didn't have too much time to go into detail about the Epic of Gilgamesh (so I kinda want to look into it more on my own when I have time), but we specifically talked about it during the flood narrative (which we studied on a dock while it was raining :p). I still have so many questions, and I'm still wrestling with a lot of stuff. But it was good.

Anyways, I could go on, but if you want to know more (I can go on about tohu wa-bohu and HOW THE CLASSIC HEBREW HAS THE PRONOUNS FOR MAN AND WOMAN CREATED AT THE EXACT SAME TIME) feel free to PM me and I can reply when I can.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So, yeah, as those in the Nano thread are aware, I've scratched my cornea pretty bad. Bad enough to need a weird contact lens/eye bandage, which is REALLY helping the pain, but my vision is still really blurry so I probably won't be around much at least until Monday (when the bandage comes out.

A couple of the other mods are going to check in on the place for me, Mira is around and Mav is supposed to be back Sunday or Monday. And I can look at a screen long enough to see PMs if something really goes wrong. So basically just don't burn the place down over the weekend.

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ouch, ouch! :( Take good care, Bri, and feel all better soon. @};-

9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Yow!

We'll behave for the babysitters and not cause problems for Aunt Mav.

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I see how it is, you missed me so much you didn't want to be here without me!
    :p

But ouch!! I did that one time and it was very, very painful! [:D]

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    *insert joke about rather having an eye poked out than be without Mav*

Thankfully, while painful, it healed quite quickly. I was actually able to look at a screen for longer periods yesterday (but of course the boards were down).

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - that didn't help.

Briannakin and Findswoman like this.
  13. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Glad it got better so quickly, Bri, and great to have you back! :)

Lady_Misty and Briannakin like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    YIKES! I'm glad that didn't last long!

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey all! I'm leaving for a conference and will be back January 2nd. I'll still have wi-fi at the hotel, but I'm not sure how much I'll be on. Don't make too much of a mess on New Years for Mav!

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Of all the times to leave me, it's the time when there's confetti. Lots and lots of confetti. [face_plain]

Have fun!! Get lots of free stuff!

Ewok Poet, jcgoble3 and Mira_Jade like this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey all and happy new year.

I am back! I honestly thought I would have time to come on here while I was gone, but I did not. I ended up being so busy that I barely ate and lost about 6 pounds. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. It might take me a few days to rest and recuperate.

(and yes! so much free swag! Also, Duke university tried to recruit me! I got the pen and the chapstick to prove it!)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Ewok Poet, jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey all!

So those in the social thread will know I have a lot going on right now. So for the next week to two weeks, I'm going to "go green" and reduce my time here so I can focus on some "serious adult" things (finishing my master's dissertation; putting my house up for sale; etc). I'll be around, just not nearly as often, but of course Mav and Mira can help you out.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Dissertation is finished! I just have to actually submit it. So I'm back for now.

20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    @Briannakin , just noticed that you went green the other night, but I didn’t see anything about it in this thread, so just wanted to say that I hope everything is all right. @};-

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, Bri had to go green for a family emergency, she'll be gone for a bit.

Findswoman likes this.
  22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I see. Thanks for letting us know. I’ll be thinking of her and her family. @};-

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for updating this, Mav. Life is just kinda a lot right now. I might be able to spend some time here, but I'm probably going to be fairly aloof until after I move. I'm hoping to "be back" around October 6th.

Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey all. I'm back, and I'm in a new condo in a new city. I still have to finish unpacking and stuff, but I'll be around more.

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Enjoy the newness before it wears off!