main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Brief Encounter (Han Solo, Cassian Ando) Rogue One Spoilers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Dec 21, 2016.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ROGUE ONE SPOILERS AHEAD

Title: Brief Encouter
    Characters: Han Solo, Cassian Ando
    Genre: drama, action
    Timeline: weeks before the Battle of Scarif
    Summary: A chance meeting between two future heroes of the Rebellion
    Note: This fic was inspired by a cooment made by Cassian in @Dantana_Skywalker's story 'A Light From the Shadows'.

Cassian Ando had little patience for tardiness. In his business, loitering could get you killed, or worse, thrown into a deep, dark Imperial hole. He glanced at his chronometer again. His contact was now six minutes late. He looked around the small cantina. It was as grubby and filthy a place as he had ever been. It wasn’t that he me minded the dirt; he had been knee deep in it for years. He hated being exposed, and would prefer to avoid the indignity of dying on such a remote outpost.

He pushed off the wall he had been leaning on and took a step toward the door. Without warning, a strong hand clamped down on his shoulder. He spun around only to meet the shaggy brown fur of a Wookie. The Wookie’s other arm restrained his hand which had instantly gone for his blaster.

“What’s this?” Cassian hissed, lowly, struggling in vain, to free his weapon. “A robbery?”

The Wookie mewled quietly a denial and made and also imperceptible nod to a small table near the door to the fresher. The man at the table had brown hair and word a cream colored shirt with a black vest. He wore a blaster and his trousers declared his heritage with the single Correllian blood stripe. This gave him pause as he had hear of the blood stripe, knew it was important, but could not remember its significance. The hand on his shoulder urged him toward the occupied table, releasing his opposite arm. Cassian relaxed his blaster hand as he approached the other man.

“Have a seat,” the supposed Correllian invited, with a smile that was both wry and cautious. “You’re making me nervous. "

Cassian sat across from the man and the Wookie pulled a chair from and nearby table and closed the circle.

“So,” he replied, stoically. “Who are you that I should be worried?”

The wry smiled turned into a grin. “I’ve got nothing to hide. I’m Han Solo. You?”

“None of your business, Solo,” Cassian answered, coolly. “I’d appreciate it if you let me go.”

“That is where you’re wrong,” Han replied, turning serious. “I am waiting for someone. Someone who is not you. You appear to be waiting for someone who is not me. Seems strange that such an out of the way place would suddenly be so…busy.”

“There are imperial spies everywhere, Solo,” Cassian said, pointedly. “You have to be careful.”

“I was thinking the same thing, friend,” Solo searching the other man’s cold eyes. “I’ll ask you to give your name one more time.”

Cassian could not see a way out of the situation that did not involve dismemberment, smoking blaster, or death. This was the outer rim after all.

“Cassian Ando.”

“Never heard of you,” Solo quipped, relieved, but not fully satisfied. He turned to his partner and said: “Chewie, check him out.”

The Wookie barked his frustration, but left the table to complete the task.

“Should you have heard of me, Solo?” Cassian pressed. “It’s a big galaxy and I am pleased you have not.”

“I can’t let you go, Ando,” Solo replied, an edge replacing his previous congeniality. “There is too much riding on this job.”

Cassian folded his arms over his chest. “A job is just that. A job. A cause is something else.”

“Aw, Shavit,” Solo cursed, hanging his head with a wicked chuckle. “Are you kidding me?”

Cassian decided to take that moment to make his escape. Unfolding his arms, he gripped the edge of the small table and upended it in Solo’s face. The mercenary stagger back a couple of steps, reaching for his blaster. The man was fast, even when surprised. Cassian stepped forward and kicked the blaster from his interrogator’s hand. He brought his blaster to bear on Solo’s face, but before he could fire, a fist collided with his nose. It was his turn to stagger backward. Solo pressed his advantage with a kick to Cassian’s groin, which doubled him over and sent him to the ground. Solo stepped on Cassian’s hand as he went down to one knee in front of him. Grabbing a handful of Cassian’s shirt, Solo pulled him close.

“I should kill you on principle, but I’m pretty sure you’re no Imperial. You’re going to get a break because I’m such a nice guy.”

While Solo had been talking, Cassian pulled a small dagger from his boot. “I’ll remember that!” Cassian said through gritted teeth as he brought the dagger down on Solo’s thigh. A growl of pain shot from the Corellian’s mouth which gave the Cassian enough time to push his attacker away, scramble to his feet and dart through a door he had scouted when he entered.

As he ran through the alley, the Rebel agent cursed missing the meeting with a crucial benefactor.

@@@@@

Weeks later…

Rebel Base Yavin 4

Han Solo leaned against wall in the briefing room and listened to the plan for attacking the Death Star. He could not imagine why such a small group of pilots would go up against such insurmountable odds. He knew that was ironic coming from the man who never wanted to know the odds. It was different with him, though. He only had himself and Chewie to risk.

Han was brought out his thoughts when he heard General Dodanna listing the names of the Rebel agents who had died in acquiring the Death Star plans.

“…K2-SO, Bohdi Rook, Jyn Erso, Cassian Andor, Chirrut Imwe, Baze…”

“Cassian?” Han said to himself, searching his memory. “Cassian Andor.”

Han touched the shoulder of the pilot in front of him. “Did he say Cassian Andor?”

Wedge Antilles turned to regard the smuggler. “Yes, Cassian was one of us. He was a hero. You could learn from his example.”

“No need to get rude,” Han said, recognizing the tension of the entire situation. “I met him once. He held his own. I can respect that.”

“We can use your help, Solo,” Wedge added. “It’s time to hold your own.”

RX_Sith likes this.
  2. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Very nice! I can picture Han and Cassian tangling if they'd ever met. :)

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    A brief meeting that led to Han recognizing that Cassian was a Rebel; just like him.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This was great, Brodie!

I love the fight between the two of them, it really shows both of their personalities.
    Then at the end, when Han hears his name, talking how he respected that he held his own shows us just a little bit of the hero we know Han becomes. That was great!

I love Wedge's line at the end!

=D=

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
  6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, their interaction here was just fantastic; I could perfectly hear each of their voices in your dialogue, and Cassian walking away from it the close better - this time, at least ;) - I could really see. Yet, as fun as the first segment was, it was the second that I adored. Just -

“No need to get rude,” Han said, recognizing the tension of the entire situation. “I met him once. He held his own. I can respect that.”

“We can use your help, Solo,” Wedge added. “It’s time to hold your own.”

Yes. Wonderful! [face_love]

I really enjoyed this, brodie, and can't wait to see where your muse goes next! =D=

7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    A bit late to the party, but what stood out here most is that both Cassian Andor (you miss that last "R" here and there, btw) and Han Solo start out as more or less cold-blooded killers and that Cassian's experience, that changes him precedes Han's change. Of course, one changes when it's already too late and the other is then, passed the baton by the one whom the person who changed Cassian passed the baton to. And that makes for a great, great analogy!

And looks like Wedge is me on that - the baton is with Han, the ball is in his yard and once he hears the names of those who died for the Death Star plans, he should be able to go through this in his mind and learn what truly and really matters.