main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bring Back Anakin Solo, Fire the sicko who talked Lucas into this.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JEDIMACK-COM, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Dude, if you don't like what happens with EU then just boycott it. There are many out there who enjoy Star Wars JUST for the marvels of the movies alone. Just because the EU exists you don't have to follow it.

I admire the NJO and despite being saddened by the events of SbyS, I respect the authors and editors and largely enjoy the darker tone of the NJO.

But that's the beauty of Star Wars. You don't have to like all of it to love most of it.

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    they have anakins body and are going to burn it,the emporor came back thru the darkside of the force,callista came back by switching into the body of another person and lost her acsses to the lightside of the force.

so if anakin came back that way he would no longer be the anakin we knew, they could do that they have a virtual body-double of him.

3. JEDIMACK-COM

JEDIMACK-COM Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    I used the word SHE because there is 1 person at Lucas licensing that has been there a very long time. But I do not know who, how or why thjey did this.

4. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    That doesn't make whoever that is a woman. It does send the message that not only do you have strong opinions about this issue but you also aren't very fond of women. Now, I've lived long enough to know this isn't necessarily true, which is why I warned you to watch your pronouns.
    And for the record I have nothing wrong with strong opinions. I regularly give them in other forums. ;) You should have seen when I FIRST got here! :) But hey, welcome to the forums, and don't let people with other strong opinions keep you from posting.

Jae Angel

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sooo, what were you expecting JMA? The way the Forum has been going the past couple of years, the treatment dished out to Jedimack should not be a surprise, it might be a sad reflection on the state of SW fandom but not a surprise.

Fact is killing a 16 year old in a very gory fashion, is going to provoke strong feelings. From the reviews at Amazon, SBS is proving to be the straw that broke a good few fans faith in SW.

I mean, who here, if they were a parent, would let a young child read NJO? I wouldn't, doesn't mean they wouldn't read it clandestinely but NJO has stripped EU SW of its Universal audience and reputation as a family-friendly story. It's one thing for occassional blots: The Yevetha story was gory in places, so was XW3. Those are 4 books out of roughly 30. NJO has a gory tone through all 9 of its books published thus far. That gore damages SW's reputation and reputations are difficult to build, easy to break and extremely hard to repair.

I can well see why Jedimack's emotion has gotten the better of him.

Say NarundiJedi, how does supposed dislike of a woman become dislike of all women? Your post reads like you're accusing Jedimack of misogyny. It is known the head editor of SW at DR is Shelley Shapiro and is quite likely to be the person who took the decision to kill off Anakin. Jedimack may have slipped up in his usage but that is not reason enough to throw at him the accusation that his post sends a message that he dislikes women!

Jedi Ben

6. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    Thank you Jae Angel. I don't think i have a problem with woman. Four of the seven people I love most are woman, mom, my wife and my two daughters who are 5 and 9. I also have 3 sons: 25, 23 and 7.

7. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    my 11 year old brother reads tom clancy, thats A LOT more gorey and has TONNES of sexual content. i see no problem whatsoever with the NJO amount of gore. the only reason you notice is because the peaceful calm style of teh other books makes the NJO stand out.

8. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    Jedi Ben,
    Do you want to write my stuff for me. Your great!

In the Yevetha story tho, Han was rescued in a real cool way, though I think an uncle of chewys died. The gore in that book was not so bad. It was the stupid Co-Story with it that I didn't like.

9. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    lets compare goreyness-

rainbow six- graphically describes a fragmentation bullet entering a human head at close range, resulting in brain splattering and the like

sbs- anakin puked blood -whoop de freakin doo-

10. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    Elite_Guard Wow, an 11 year old reading tom Clancy! That is the only author I read everything he writes. Tom takes you down in the first 200 pages, then brings you over the next 700. NJO has been down, down down for how many books now. It is way past time for the comeback, and I believe that DR will make a lot more money with Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Fel, all 3 solo kids, Zek, Kip, the Criss, Empirial Remnant, the Hapens, Admudar and the corp Sector leading the way.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Elite Guard,

Ever read Night's Dawn by Peter F Hamilton? It makes NJO look like a pussy cat. But neither does it bear the name SW.

That name means certain things and it does not mean gore and sex.

As for your 11 year old brother, fine. Kids do that all the time. I knew kids who reading Stephen King and Clive Barker at that age. So what? It probably won't do them any harm. What I care about is the harm done to SW' reputation. That concern is not new, it's been raised since Ruin, by other posters as well.

Jedi Ben

12. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Jedimack, i think you'd be happier in another forum, like Episode-X. More adults there. Too many 13-16 year olds on these boards.
    I don't like that Anakin died. It sucks, because he was the youngest. And the bravest.
    I don't know if I want him to be brought back, since I don't approve of these soap opera resurrections, but I thought it was ill-advised.

I don't really care about Ben Skywalker. With Mara as his mother, he will never be a real Jedi, IMO. Anakin should have fulfilled his promise, that has been built up for years. It's a let down.

Elite_Guard Wow, an 11 year old reading tom Clancy!

Not a big deal.
    I bought the John Steinbeck Collection with my Christmas money when I was ten. When I tried to do a book report on East of Eden, my 5th grade teacher had a cow. LOL......

13. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Elite_Guard: Calm down! Don't be too harsh on the newbies (sorry if that word is offensive, BTW). And stop swearing. It's not nice.

Anakin could come back, but then it would kinds spoil it. He died for a reason, as did Vader, Obi-Wan and others. So, that makes him just as good as them. Sort of. But anyway, if you do think he will come back, wait for the next books in the series. You never know....

14. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    then what, jedi ben, is the meaning of this??

I mean, who here, if they were a parent, would let a young child read NJO? I wouldn't,

15. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    Someone decided that thier target demographic was 13 - 16 year olds, and that the darker the better. I don't know if that is true or not, that the story must be dark to attract 13 - 16 year olds.

I read the first two story lines of junior jedi knights and they were ok.

All I know is that this darkness is not what I liked about Star Wars that caused me to own every book, and every audio tape of the books and own 51 large containers of MOTC Star Wars Figures, and spend days contructing a large "map" of the SW galaxy that is hung on my office wall.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Just because it's known to happen, and probably didn't do the particlar kids in question any harm, does not mean some parents would not be concerned with their kids reading adult material. Nor is it the fact that because some kids can read adult books without harm, that all kids can. A parent may well feel the material is unsuitable for the kid, regardless of what the kid thinks.

The thing is the NJO could work just as well without the gore, it's all unnecessary detail. If you want to read detailed expositions of death and torture go elsewhere, why get it from SW when there are plenty of authors that do horror much, much better?

Jedi Ben

p.s. Jedimack: check your Private Messages.

17. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    you insult starwars by making junior jedi knights references.

now as the great masahari morimoto never said "if you cant stand the heat , get out of Kitchen Stadium.:"

18. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    It is like killing Flash Gordon 5 minutes before the end of the episode and expecting people to come back and route for a secondary character, or killing Batman and expecting people to invest the same energy in coming back to watch Robin.

I think comparing the character of Anakin Solo to the characters of Flash Gordon, Batman, and even Indiana Jones seems a bit of a stretch, IMO. Each of those characters are the main focus of their stories. In fact each is named for the title character. Star Wars, to me, has always been an ensemble type cast, especially as the EU has developed over time. No one character has ever been more important than the story.

I also think that death, when written correctly, can add weight to the drama of a story. Long series can get tired sometimes if you know that no matter what circumstances arise, the main characters will survive and prevail in the end. Now, you can never be sure what will happen, but seemingly nothing is outside the realm of the possible. To me, this leads to a greater sense of anticipation.

Lastly, let me say that I respect your opinion, as you have voiced it very well. I can only hope that when I'm 50 I still enjoy Star Wars as much as you do. Hopefully you'll not give up on SW just yet.

19. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    Jedi Ben, you are truly the master.

20. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    Elite Guard, You remind me of Barbara Steisand who once said -I hate people who would impose their belief on others, I would require that they take sensativity training-
    No I do not compare those wonderful little SW books to the adult SW books. But who introduced Tom Clancy in a discussion of SW books? TC v SW?

We should not let the dark side consume us. I just want revenge and Jaina may be just the person to rally the troops.

21. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    what you want is the termination of any lfl employees who had anything remotely to do with anakin's death...

22. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    wild card2002, You are probably correct in questioning my analogy to those old cliff hangers. And SW has been mostly about Luke, or at least it was. Then the focus was seeming to switch to the solo kids, particularly starting with the Correlian Trilogy. Killing Anakin took the fun out of it for me.

I do not have to accept that the editors are wreaking something that was fun for me especially since the Zahn Books. I hoped that someone would have insisted that the authors keep the fun in it.

I am emotional about this. Someone should throw a pail of water at GL and say "What are you doing???"

23. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    only to be instantly tackled by Lucas's security...

someone needs to throw some water at you. about 1000 gallons will do nicely. then maybe you will be able to accept what has already occured and is not changeable except through foolish things such as resurrection...

24. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    For the record, Luke died in Courtship of Princess Leia, and was resurrected by the Force.

Now, I do not agree with what you say Jedimack, IMO, this new 'darkness' in NJO is quite refreshing. But that's a matter of opinion, and I totally understand why some people can feel that way about the NJO.

And Elite_Guard, you should really calm down. Although I agree with you when you say Anakin is dead and don't want him to come back, I think you shouldn't act like that. You can express your opinion in a friendly way. No need to get that nasty. And if you continue, I think you'd deserve a ban.

25. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    elite guard, sounds good. Happens in every business. Big mistakes call for big penalties.

Look at the movie GL has made. Is NJO anything like them? I always thought that GL had 2 goals: Profit and Quality Fun Entertainment. DR is only giving out half in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.