main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Query: I have/had an npc called Bree, and cannot help making cheese puns; do you do that too, divapilot?

2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Lol - no, not really. But I can completely understand it. :)

3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    My nickname is Bry - let me tell you - the cheese puns get annoying really fast. Be nice to your NPCs and characters. :p

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I made up nicknames for all my characters AND introduced one whose name can be twisted around in so many ways, similar to the name of one of the people who inspired him.

Exeter likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    One of my GMs declared me a health hazard as he was eating while reading a punny callsign I created for an OC.

Kahara, leiamoody, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Returning to the discussion topic. It goes without saying that all of my OCs enjoy music—indeed I would have a hard time writing an OC who didn't. :p In addition, though, many of them are themselves musical to one extent or another, in both professional and amateur capacities.

Miarla Ligouri (Selonian female) and Jefson Er'kap (Twi'lek male) are a classically trained singer and clavi-pianist, respectively, who trained at the Coronet City Conservatory of Music, and who both enjoyed successful concert careers throughout the Galaxy before COMPNOR began cracking down on non-Human artists.

The composer Lorne Bel Fiora (Human male from Corellia) taught at the Coronet City Conservatory a generation or two before Miarla and Jefson were there (I guess almost around the same time as Episodes 2 and/or 3?). He was part of the Second Corellian School of composition (note that that's a stylistic grouping rather than an actual institution), and he became one of the most celebrated art-music composers of that period. He was a good friend of Chyntuck 's OC poet Namajib Eskari (also a Human male from Corellia), several of whose poems he set to music as both large-scale and small-scale compositions.

Other OCs sing and/or play instruments in recreational and amateur capacities:

Telfien (Gand female) sometimes plays and sings to one of her species's traditional moist-string harps as part of her discipline as a Findswoman, either as a spiritual exercise or a means of achieving a meditative state.

One of Glockel's (Human female from the original planet of Nydringia) little-known skills is her ability to play sackpipe, which she has been known to do now and then and which always creates an impression. Though she has played various sizes of sackpipe from bass and tenor up through sopranino (high soprano), her current instrument is a sopranino, since the small size is more convenient for a busy spacer.

Kiri-Aki (Weequay female), gardener and general Jill-of-all-trades at Great Bonvika's court, learned some of the traditional Weequay art of drumming at the Weequay nunnery on Sriluur where she received her early education. It's not a skill she uses often now that she's in the employ of Great Bonvika (who often brings in outside groups to perform at her court), but one should never say never, and she keeps her old hand drum around just in case.

Soozoo (Theelin female), the school-aged daughter of Bonvika's majordomo Diva Marquisha (also a Theelin female), is learning to play the ommni box. She can often be heard in the background of holocalls made to Marquisha.

As to Bonvika herself... well, as a huge art lover and culture vulture, she loves having musicians around, both at special occasions and just because. Dinner music is a must, especially when she has guests. She also hosts a noon concert series at her villa (Kiri-Aki is often stuck handing out programs). And I imagine that, in at least a just-for-fun way, she loves to sing. :D

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Let me add that, in my personal fanon about Bonvika*, she is breeding several varieties of swamp batrachians in the gardens of her palace on Nal Hutta in order to launch the first all-batrachian orchestra in the history of the galaxy [face_laugh]

* And yes, I know, fanon about another fanficcer's OC is a bit of a meta-concept, but there you go.

I also have several OCs who are into music, namely:
    • Zefs, a Bith who plays several sorts of wind instruments, notably the Kloo horn. He is a graduate of Findswoman 's Coronet City Conservatory of Music and he had started a promising career with the Corellian Classical Orchestra when the advent of the Empire and its discrimination against aliens shunted him to smaller venues. He eventually found himself in indentured servitude to a Falleen noblewoman but he managed to escape, and he now performs for the clients in Eliskandro the Hutt's grooming salon on Coruscant.
    • His biggest asset is Dolby, an HF-34 digital sound enhancement droid (don't look it up on the Wook, I invented it). Dolby plays the same role as sound enhancement equipment in RL, but he does it on his own. He expresses himself in beeps and chirps, but I like to think that somewhere, deep in his electronic brain, he has a particular fondness for the Second Corellian School of composition.
    • Two other characters I have who are trained musicians are Maua, a Togrutan singer, and Babloony, the only Karkarodon who was classically trained as opera singer in a Core World institution. I haven't elaborated on the details of their training and preferences yet, but they met Zefs while in indentured servitude together and they are now performing together with him in Eliskandro's salon. Their long-term plan is to form a band together and tour the galaxy.
    (Note: I haven't listed these characters in the OC Index yet, they appear in the Detective Eliskandro stories).

Kahara, Sith-I-5, leiamoody and 3 others like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I created two bands for my epic, The Black Star, and they are both likely to appear in the sequel as well.

Deeply Religious are a three-piece pronk band from a small town of Ronto, Nubia. All three members are of different species.

Charon San Valorum, the singer and quetarra player is Human. While he has some formal education as a musician and has played instruments since his earliest age, he is commonly seen as a complete diletante because of his attitude. In reality, he can sing and play his quetarra just fine. Most of his early lyrics deal with growing pains and girls rejecting him. Once he realised how the Galactic Civil War affected those around him, he transformed into a political activist overnight and started writing pronk anthems aimed against the New Order; thus staying true to the ideas of his late father, Pulott Valorum. His inability to keep his mouth shut gets him in a lot of trouble.

Anra Renek, the bassoon player and backing vocalist is Duros. He has never seen his parents, but it is largely presumed that they perished in Clone Wars, which lead him to being adopted by a Human mother on Nubia. He met Charon San Valorum, who taught him to play bassoon, after a mutual friend of theirs bailed out on the idea of forming a band. Despite sporting a permanent frown typical to his species, Anra is very down-to-earth and there to stop Charon and Koobs from doing anything stupid.

Koobalt Nubes, more commonly known as Master Koobs, is the Ortolan drummer. His family arrived to Nubia long ago and adopted the last name that would read as "from/of Nubia" in their native language. Unlike Charon and Anra, Koobs had all the means to pursue his education, since his parents are respected employees at Nubia Star Drives Inc. However, he opted not to.

Steamy Wasaka Stew (SWS) is a Human band from Coronet City, Corellia. Known for raunchy lyrics, distinct rhythms and an exhibitionist party trick referred to as "the kitchen glove".

The band is fronted by Antonio Nokaarbe, an individual who claims he is "part Kiffar" and "knows psychometry", whatever is that supposed to mean. He is an average singer who makes an efforts to pronounce most words in Coronet accent, but he makes up for it with his flamboyant personality. Most of his lyrics deal with partying and he has been known to describe his sexual exploits to astonishing detail. Truth to be told, he wrote a couple of songs about discrimination of his supposed ancestors, but nobody took interest in him over on Kiffu. Women like him on most planets, which lead to a lot of high-profile relationships.

Antonio's best friend, Con Brochet plays bassoon and is normally considered to be the heart and brains of the band. He's of diminutive stature and has a short fuse, which earned him the nickname Con B the Womp Rat, later shortened to Wompy. He's been known to be able to utter more obscenities than a particularly ill-tempered freighter pilot during an average day. His bassoon playing style has been described as hyper by most, same goes for his overall behaviour.

The founding quetarra player of the band was Towe Olus, who, alongside his twin brother, Demir Olus, the original drummer, joined an underground resistance group and perished in a raid seven years before the Battle of Yavin. The death of the Olus brothers made Antonio and Wompy extremely bitter towards the war and unwilling to get political, but nevertheless, they decided to keep their band alive and they recruited Dale Pavan and Anjie Mencuri.

Dale Pavan, the "grey bear of a man" is indeed a beast on drums and, oddly enough, the one who actually holds the band together. He was brought as replacement for Demir Olus and he stuck ever since. He was never addicted to spice, he was not chasing skirts or whatever else, he was just being himself. He has two unusual claims to fame: he is the Galaxy record holder for playing the largest drumset in the world (despite having only four limbs) and almost the perfect doppelgänger to the comedy holovid star NAMETOBEDETERMINED. Despite keeping low-profile most of the time and not being the band's founding member, he may be the most responsible for keeping SWS together.

Anjie Mencuri was recommended to Wompy and Antonio by a mutual friend and recruited to replace Towe Olus. This fragile individual had a pretty large kitchen glove to fill and, while he initially tried to sound and look like Towe, he eventually established a style of his own, which lead SWS to their first Galaxy-wide holorecord contract and prominence. Ironically, young Anjie was not able to deal with being in the spotlight very well and, after less than four standard years with SWS, he quit. It was rumoured that he had mental problems and that they may or may not be related to abuse of rokna blue, deathsticks and alcohol. As of the Battle of Hoth, it is not known if he is alive or not. According to critics and die-hard fans, this child prodigy was the band's best quetarra player.

The most recent quetarra player in SWS and the only non-Human they ever had in their line-up is a Zabrak by the name of Sassvar Graba. Dubbed "very sexy, because he looks evil" by the holonews outlets and countless female fans, he contributed a dark vibe to an otherwise seemingly cheerful band. Being a Zabrak, he is almost religiously attached to his instrument.

9. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Back in high school I wrote a few chapters of a Jaina-centered punk-rock high school band AU for the YJK which included Jake as a keyboardist and Darra as a drummer and was kind of ridiculous in the way that trying to adapt these characters into a high school au, even one that takes place on Coruscant, is intensely strange. (that's nothing to the time I rewrote Twilight as Tahiri and Anakin and Jake and Darra were my werewolves)

Kahara likes this.
  10. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    With the 'music' discussion going, a new one. Tell us if your OC plays an instrument, sings or writes music

Kahara likes this.
  11. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    My OCs, Breha and Blue, both enjoy music but only Blue had any formal training. When he was a child, he took keybed lessons and became rather proficient at the instrument. Although the intention was to introduce Blue to the arts, there was the secondary goal of teaching him finger dexterity for the day when he would become a surgeon like his father. Blue still knows how to play the instrument and will occasionally sit at the keybed, if the opportunity permits. It's one of the few times when he knows for sure that his hands will not tremble.

Bree had passing interests in playing instruments but she never had the patience or drive to discipline herself to study music seriously. Then when the war came, she had other, more urgent issues on her mind and any ideas of learning an instrument were forgotten.

Both of them enjoy singing although neither ever had lessons. In the future, Blue sings his children to sleep at night.

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    All of my OCs boarded the "Nope Train" when I put this question to them.

jcgoble3 and leiamoody like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Isn't this question a bit redundant, given the previous one?

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  14. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    I interpreted it to be a little different. The first one was more what does your OC like to listen to (what is their taste in music) and this one is more about how they participate in or create music.

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    At least a few people already answered the second question in the course of discussing the first one, though. Given that, it just seems a little funny to have it asked again as a separate question rather than just letting things dovetail from the previous discussion, that's all. But maybe the point was to signal the dovetail? I don't know.

In any case, my answers are as above. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I found it a bit frustrating.

If someone had little or nothing to say on the previous topic, asking a related question only extends the pain.

17. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Yesterday I went to the new Bond movie 'Spectre'
    And that has me coming with a new topic

Movies and serials

Does your OC go to the movies/ watch serials and does he/she have a favorite character, getting inspired, trying to copy and whatever

18. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    The Exeverse features an action holostar named Tet Turco, a wisecracking mercenary from such classics as Get Tet and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugnaught, who always gets his man (even if it's not a man!) and always gets the girl (even if she's not a girl!), is incapable of uttering anything that isn't a one-liner, and never met a cliche he didn't invent.

One of my favorite OCs, Kaeso Landrith is a big fan of the series. Kaeso's also a merc, though decidedly less of the Tet adventurer type and more of the PMC flavor. Even so, he privately likes to think of himself as a real-life Tet Turco, a good guy in a bad biz...even if his resume says otherwise.

leiamoody, divapilot and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Prof. Hypno is a big nerd baby. He's big into sci-fi and comics. He's a SW nerd and if given the materials, he'd build droids of his own. He's also something of a horror hound and enjoys psychological horror and creepy movies. Not so much slasher flicks, as those come across as more comedic than scary, but he enjoys a good creepy movie that gets under your skin.

His latest interest is to build costumes and props that he could incorporate his chair into. On the list of possible projects (given the time and materials to do so) is the Batmobile.

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My OC used to bring his dates to romantic movies to get them in the mood. In reality he prefers action movies. Now that he is married I think his wife choses what to watch on movie night.

divapilot likes this.
  21. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Movies play a very large part in the lifeblood of my GFFA AU. There's my actress OC, Nalieza Fejier, and her mother, Maiena Isoderi, who was also an actress. They both started out in a holodrama, but eventually graduated to the larger screen, mostly in independent films (yes, even in the GFFA there are "indie" films, not just blockbusters. Sue me :p).
    Of course they watch(ed) tons of films.

My padawan-turned-Knight-turned-something-else-after-death Chevor Mikayzd is a regular at the Retrolux holotheater on Coruscant. He likes historical dramas and spy movies. His master, Aduman Nical, thinks holofilms are not a pure art form compared to written works...but what he likes reading the most are "chivalric romances", particularly those featuring the Guardians of the Cosmic Rose (Earth equivalent: The Three Musketeers).

divapilot, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Movies and Serials

Don't really address food much, but my favourite, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, is represented Crunchy Nut Rhylcate.

Oh wait...

One of my earliest series of games on here, was a mix of James Bond and Star Wars, and afterwards, myself and other players, sometimes treated the characters and events as fictional holo-movie characters.

My selection of RL SW reading did not mention movies much, so I have only vaguely aware of Gorak Loran and Whynnda Starflare.

Someone responded to a question recently, listing a whole host of GFFA entertainers that I have never heard off, so I have not really been inspired to cover movies.

My Arcateenian OC who spent two hundred years on Earth, is a major Man from UNCLE fan girl.

I will have to add to this, as I need the smartphone for urgent use.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    One of my OCs will be involved with some sort of movies in the future, but it's a spoiler, so I cannot talk about it yet.

divapilot and Findswoman like this.
  24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I got a code for and joined Toyhou.se. First time using something like it and so far... I'm pretty happy with it. I may eventually go to CharaHub, but for now, you can find me on Toyhou.se as Lavinnia.

Anyone else use such sites to keep track of characters?

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Never heard of it. What is it?