main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    So where do we put links to what we have written?

Or do we PM to the Sock at the end of the month?

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This thread is helpful in terms of where we are allowed to link to fics and where not.

3. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, didn't help. You can post links in challenge threads, but not in discussion ones.

The OC revolution thread appears to start out as a discussion thread, but at the point that I joined, it was issuing challenges, so what gives?

Plus I spotted one reader being taken to task by another for linking in there, but I don't know if that was a thread-specific matter, or board policy.

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Sith-I-5 Beyond the general promoting/linking policy, each thread has its idiosyncrasies on these boards :p Under the general policy, you can link to fics in any post you make in this thread when relevant. However, when it comes to OC challenges, the custom (and the requirement under this thread's challenge rules) is that we PM our story links to the sock who then posts a list of all the challenge responses when voting starts. I'm not quite sure where that came from -- very possibly from the fact that the thread runners didn't want to have to go through dozens of posts to figure out the challenge entries -- but there you go.

And just to avoid confusion, challenges on this thread don't entail any prizes other than bragging rights and the right to choose the next challenge topic.
    If you're asking about an index of OC-driven fics, this thread doesn't maintain one. What we have is the OC Index, where you index your characters and the stories where they appear (I run that one, so if you add any new characters after you've started your post, PM me or the OCIndexSock and I'll announce it when I make an update post) and the Prolific Writers' Index, where you can list all your fics, whether OC-driven or not (I also run that one).

Does that help?

Kahara likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yep, your first paragraph helps.

The quote of mine, that was related solely to OC challenge responses.

Thank you.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Hi Sith-I-5, the post listing the current challenge, past winners and current rules for the challenges of the OC Revolution can be found in this post.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    MsLanna I linked them to that post on the previous page, actually. And they said it was not what they were looking for, which is why Chyntuck provided a more detailed explanation.

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you, all three of you.

I now understand the procedure for this thread.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    It is the fith of May and Liberation day in The Netherlands. 70 years ago WW2 ended when Americans and Canadians liberated our country.
    New discussion: Your OC and liberty. Is he/she involved in events leading to liberty? About losses?

New prompt: Liberty

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Mitch and my various OCs have certainly been involved in liberations a few times. More in roleplaying games than in solo fanfic.

This exercise of rescuing some of my RP posts and putting them here has reminded me of several past exploits within games that had disappeared into the annals of time.

Mitch and his adopted boy, Fenlaka, were involved in breaking a Trandoshan slaving operation on Kashyyyk; I would have to remind myself of the specifics, but I assume it went fairly well.

As mentioned on an earlier page, Mitch encountered the femme who would become his niece, when Terminators invaded Tatooine. That was a liberating exercise against an extremely adaptable and dangerous enemy.

Anything Rebellion-related, I would suppose might count, but given the amount of time covered by the Galactic Civil War, would it count as liberation?

Within the Star Wars: Intervention game, When Mitch Nifesta and Baille Harte went to Flitter, an Alliance factory planet blockaded by two Gladiator-class Star Destroyers, it was not really with the intention of liberating anyone, but merely to run the blockade, and deliver medical supplies.

Baille was killed on the ground, while Mitch was still in orbit, dicing with the shielded concussion missiles that were chasing him, and the ensuing Roaring Rampage of Needing to Get To The Surface, led to the destruction of one SD, and the liberation of several survivors.

Frankly, Mitch was more interested in interrogating them outside his ship to find out who could have killed his girl, than rescuing them, but an old man in the group, who could see the way things were going, eg. leaving them behind while he pursued the suspect, persuaded him to allow the survivors aboard his cruiser first.

So for the latter, a grudging liberation.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  11. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Sith-I-5 - sounds like your characters have been fighting the good liberation fight for some time! I think that all Rebel battles are a form of liberation of some kind... or maybe just a new institution to be liberated from... depending on your standing.

Interestingly enough - Cinco De Mayo is thought to be the Mexican Independence Day (which isn't true but, hey, it's what people believe).

I'm not working on this fic currently but I've always wanted to finish writing a fic with a character that is determined to be free of the Force, liberated from its will. The SW Universe never shies from talking about the prophecies and the Force as a power that moves through and around all living creatures (ignoring some of the stuff in the EU like Yuuzhan Vong and Ysalamir). Why wouldn't a character feel stifled by that? Isn't self determination supposed to be a inherent right? Is the Force in conflict with the concept of free will?

I always liked the name of that story concept more than the story itself when I initially wrote it: Negachlorian.

Anyway - that doesn't do much to answer the topic question but I thought I'd share - srry.

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Rau_Fang

It has to be taken into account that most of SW media is centred around the Force Sensitive Skywalker family. The galaxy at large are not getting anywhere near so intense a message about it, and books like Death Star go deeper into how much the Empire suppressed knowledge of jedi and the Force.

Still, I would have thought getting hold of an Ysalamiri would solve your character's problem.

13. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats Ewok Poet [:D] It's a fantastic story!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, what fantastic news! Congratulations to you, Ewok Poet, on this very well-deserved win! =D= [:D]

And a shout out to the other writers and stories too. This was a wonderful challenge idea and I love how people really ran with it. :)

glitteryboots and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. glitteryboots

glitteryboots Jedi Knight

Feb 18, 2015
    Congrats Ewok Poet, very well deserved for a great story! :D I didn't get around to commenting on the others but yeah, shoutout to those too, they were all good. :)

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Congrats Ewok Poet for a story well-written! And congrats to the other authors for very good stories as well.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  19. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  20. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Congratulations, Ewok Poet! [face_party] One of your best stories yet, so it's great to see it here.

And also to the other contestants; these were all enjoyable stories!

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Kahara, Findswoman and whiskers like this.
  22. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Here it is:

The summer-challenge - provided by Ewok Poet - will start now and will end on the 22nd of August. All entries have to be in before 08-22 00.00 Pacific time

Your character experiences walking in somebody else's shoes. You may interpret that in any way you like: they can fill in for somebody at work, read somebody's mind...or pretty much anything in between!

23. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I've got a seed planted in my head for this right now.

Findswoman , Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you, leiamoody. I hope you'll take a part in the next challenge, too!

Glad to hear that, whiskers. :)