main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh wow.

I had never noticed, till I gave this question some thought. Hardly any of my OCs were introduced on their own home planet.

Think I have a grand total of two.

Maria van Helsing, a vampire hunter encountered in the cliched Transylvania of the old Hammer films. So temperate Earth environment of whatever era had stagecoaches as common transport.

Alright, make that one.

Edit: Back to two. My Saber Guard, SG12, "Twelve" was born, raised, and trained on Kamino.

Weather - rainy as ****. Speculation that the planet used to have land and oceans, but some cataclysm gave the natives time to build their weatherproof cities.

Rau_Fang likes this.
  2. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    I've been slowly slowly working on a fic set on Nar Shaddaa. But I've taken tons of liberties with the moon's environment - and the only Nar Shaddaan stuff I know is what I remember reading in the Han Solo trilogy when I was a kid. It's a moon covered in a city and it's in Hutt Space so my thought is that pollution would be a problem. The solution - in my fic anyway - is giant atmo processors on the moon opposite side of the Corellian Sector. The Corellian Sector is where the action and money is at - so that's where the freshest atmo is pumped to, across the urban sprawl and decay of the moon's surface.

The characters I write are from the dirty, sparsely populated urban trash heap that is the Dantooine Sector, the side of the moon where the spires suck up dirty air and scrub it for cycling back to the Corellian Sector. I imagine that the air is hardly breathable and that most humanoids live enclosed small dwellings, settlements or maybe even a few large towns nestled in the urban decay. These places probably only have micro-scrubbers pumping out stale air for the citizens. Maybe the bigger towns have a glass dome or a force field so light refracted from the surface of Y-toub would cast a slime green glow on everyone at night.

Needless to say there aren't seasons in the areas that are underground and hidden from the toxic atmo unless their artificially generated some how. It's not a comfortable place to live I suppose.

Gamiel, Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay-dokey, the Debgate as Lara Croft entry for the challenge has gone as far as it is going to. I'm concentrating on the entry which will benefit my RP character.

Hope everyone is well.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    The last discussion was about the weather. Closely related is weather and being on a trip. We all have had trips where the weather was interfering; rain, sun, snow or lack of snow, thunderstorms, hurricanes. Can you tell us about a trip your OC had where the weather was interfering?

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay-dokey, second story for the Summer Challenge, now completed.

:)O:)

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Just checking...a chapter of a story can be an entry, right? In this case I am talking about a chapter of a story that already has three chapters written. And yes, this chapter can stand on its own, but I would rather not post it in two different threads. OCDatabaseSock

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Phew, I'm done...just to submit.

...and to reply to the only one I didn't reply to, of course. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Naliv IV, the colony planet where Jake and Darra where born and raised, is based off the American Pacific NorthWest in climate, meaning lots of rain and plenty of fog and everything is very very green. Basically the whole planet is a temperate rainforest, with lots of rather massive freshwater lakes rather than any oceans.

So during their years along the pair had to deal with plenty of heavy storms and such. They didn't really travel a lot, the main one I can think of is that first time they return from a hunting trip to their home to find everything gone. It was raining a little heavier than usual that day.

9. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    And now the voting for the entries for the summer challenge.
    You will have quite a challenge with many great stories to chose

Your character experiences walking in somebody else's shoes. You may interpret that in any way you like: they can fill in for somebody at work, read somebody's mind...or pretty much anything in between!

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/multi-fandom-the-pixelpuff-girls-the-rescue-of-lara-croft.50030400/]The[/url] Pixelpuff Girls – Rescue of Lara Croft Sith-I-5
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...puff-girls-the-rescue-of-lara-croft.50030400/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/james-bond-safe-for-nswff-mary-formal-attends-smersh-interview.50030399/][/url] Mary Formal attends SMERSH interview Sith-I-5

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ary-formal-attends-smersh-interview.50030399/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/half-the-battle-rebel-fleet-troopers-oc-challenge-inspired-7-3.50031497/]half[/url] the battle Thumper09
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-troopers-oc-challenge-inspired-7-3.50031497/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/out-from-the-shadows-oc-summer-challenge-response.50032184/#post-52540940]out[/url] from the shadows whiskers
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...er-challenge-response.50032184/#post-52540940

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/findswomans-fragments-and-miscellanea-the-chronomaker-and-the-findsman-8-20.50023022/page-3#post-52615793]the[/url] chronomaker and the findsman Findswoman
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-findsman-8-20.50023022/page-3#post-52615793

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/aint-me-oc-summer-challenge-entry-2-3-aby.50033130/#post-52619864]aint[/url] me Rau_Fang
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/aint-me-oc-summer-challenge-entry-2-3-aby.50033130/#post-52619864

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-black-star-ocs-tendra-tesb-rotj-updated-august-22nd-chapter-4-oc-challenge-entry.50027415/page-2#post-52619986]Destination[/url]: Anywhere Ewok Poet
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...challenge-entry.50027415/page-2#post-52619986

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    One little req: Can you use url instead of link, so links would work on mobile platforms?

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    When I get home, I will re-send send the link for my first entry to the OC sock, as the NSWFF mods had forced me to move it off their forum.

Sent.

12. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    23 hours and 50 minutes to get your votes for the summer challenge PM-ed to the sock

13. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    With most vacations ended and most being busy at school or work a new discussion can start.

Tell us about your OC and the first days at work or school

14. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Woo-hoo! I knew this would happen - that these two would be tied. Congrats, Findswoman and Thumper09! [face_party]

I still need to comment on three stories (last week sucked in so many ways, plus brain fog out of nowhere...), but I would like to thank everybody for taking my challenge idea to the levels I didn't know were possible. And I hope other participans who didn't (two guys, looking at you :p) will pay visit to each of the stories as well, especially when it comes to the NSWFF story (everybody other than Finds and me, looking at you :p). These challenges are truly the best and most social competitions on here and they need to be even more popular. :)

I hope that at least one of the coming challenges won't be a holiday joy thingy, too.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ohmigosh. Wow.

I'm stunned. I did not expect to be among the winners at all. And what an honor to be alongside Thumper09 's excellent entry. Many congratulations to you, ma'am. @};-

Really, I enjoyed all the stories from this challenge immensely. They were all so different from each other and took the challenge theme in so many different and interesting directions. But with such a thought-provoking and versatile theme, how could they possibly not? Which is why Ewok Poet deserves our heartiest round of e-applause. Hooray and thanks, EP! =D= I agree with her that the challenges we do here in the OC Revolution are among the best TFN Fanfic has to offer.

I'll be in touch with my challenge theme soon—will have to think about it a few days—but man, this one will be a tough act to follow!

Thanks again and kudos to all who took part. @};-

17. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Congrats!!!!

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Yay! [face_dancing] Congratulations to both of you! =D=

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Congrats!

Does anyone else ever revisit the old drafts of stuff for their OC's? I found myself spending quite a while last night reading through some old stuff and marveling over how very different everything was. But then I first started writing Jake and Darra when I was twelve so they went through a lot of changes between now and then.

I think the first day type thing they'd be most excited about would be when they finally get their career choices narrowed down between hunters, militia, and supply pilots. At that point they start spending half their days sort of apprenticing with each of those groups to feel them out and decide where they want to go once they finish their basic schooling entirely. They should have spent a year or so doing that before choosing a path, but the Vong came and that ended that.

20. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Breha was trained to live a life of service, as her siblings were. They followed the example set by their mother. Because of this, she would be very hopeful and excited to begin a career in which she feels that she makes a difference in the lives of the disadvantaged. Her work as a documentarian is her first job, and although she is anxious about it, she feels that she can do this and that her work is meaningful. She tends to underestimate the more mundane parts of her work, so she often bites off more than she can chew.

Her first days at Corellia University were rocky. She was still reeling from the death of her brother Anakin, so she immersed herself in her studies to avoid dealing with her grief. Her parents and siblings had been instrumental in fighting the Vong so they had no time to deal with her emotional needs. The only bright spot had been the months she lived with her godparents, Tendra and Lando, who loved her like their own daughter. At school she tried to make friends, but her depression often got in the way. Many students avoided her because of politics, while others befriended her simply for bragging rights. As a result, she began to feel more and more disconnected and adrift.

Blue's first days on the job as the ship's medic were ones of guarded optimism. He was acutely aware that the captain was taking a gamble on him, and if he didn't come through for her then he would be jettisoned. Working with the refugees was a relief of sorts; they were so absorbed in their own crises that nobody asked about his background. Blue cultivated a persona of a friendly, cheerful healer to avoid anyone asking him questions: he figured out quickly that he could be invisible if he was efficient and pleasant. Blue stayed by himself mostly, avoiding contact with other crew members, knowing from experience that people tended to react very negatively when they found out what his past was.

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Congratulations to the winners.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  22. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Congratulations to the winners! I might try my hand at the next OC challenge. My writing's worse than rusty right now.

...actually, rust might be easier to read. ;)

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It's not rusty, but it could use a heading and an explanation of who you are for us noobs. :p

SOARETHOSETWOGOINGTOGIVEUSNEWTHEMES?

whiskers and Findswoman like this.
  24. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    I'm unworthy of a heading. I'm just an ooooollld poster coming back from beyond the void, trying to get his writing legs back underneath him. Based on the story I tried to write this week, I better find alternate sources of locomotion.

But I did deal mostly in OCs...with occasional canon folks popping in every now and again. I'm in the process of reposting a story from many years ago that didn't make the transit to the new board system very well. It's called Schism. And no, I have no shame. ;)

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    My immortal Agent Mitch Nifesta worked with the Republic security agency, the Secret Galactic Intelligence Service, thirty years prior to the Phantom Menace.

One of the supervillains that he helped defeat, had the last laugh by sending Mitch and his craft, a few thousand years back in time.
    The artificial intelligence aboard Mitch's ship managed to reverse the process, but an external factor (an RP game) interfered, and he fell short by some years or decades of where he needed to be to pick up his old job.

Mitch's first day back at work, after all that, took place in a mission briefing regarding a disappeared Jedi General during the Clone Wars.

There were several agents in on the meeting, but almost none were his old team-mates from his first period of service; the head of SGIS had changed; and the one or two operatives that remembered him from before, his interactions with them were strained - they had moved on, and seemed less willing to put up with his crap.

Mitch could do nothing right. If he tried to be quiet and give the new agents their lead or opportunity to voice their own opinions, he got called out on it for not participating or being aloof; and when he reversed gears and tried to step up and be helpful, that was not right either; feathers got ruffled.

The mission briefing, and much of the mission to find the general, was like that.

During the mission, Mitch caught up with his grown neice, Ewlla Iillor, then a lieutenant in the Judicial Forces, and even she was not pleased to see him, or the doll's house (Naboo fjord castle with Queen and handmaidens) he'd brought her.
    They did reconcile, however, and with some agents, cooperated to re-acquire the missing jedi.

divapilot, thank you for telling us about Breha and Blue. When you mentioned the former's life in service, I expected something Downton Abbey-esque. Well thought through situations for her uni' years. Her friends must have been really blatant about their reasons to befriend, for it to help push her into disconnection.

I'm not a girl, so there are certain female thought processes that I don't get. So me looking at Breha, people avoiding her for political reasons, I can see that as having a negative effect. For the other side of the coin, you say, "while others befriended her" - that is past tense, so the befriending process is complete, done already. You put up with a lot more **** from friends than mere acquaintances, so I don't see why it has a deleterious effect.

Blue, I have a soft spot for this kind of character since the Sector General multi-species hospital stories by James White.
    You don't mention what this polarising past is, that he has to conceal.

Also, can't he lie? Make up a past for the casual investigative patient. Eg. "I was raised by jawas. See that med droid? If I throw my hands up real fast and make a noise like an ion blaster, it'll drokkin' **** itself. Captain doesn't like me doing it. Disruptive, she says."

Ewok Poet likes this.