main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting.

I have three past efforts that would apply, but yes, I have a couple of ideas for a new one.

Can one of my characters pretend to be Lara Croft, or does it have to be SW?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oookay...no response, huh?

Right, I am initiating a NSW fanfic: Though I cannot recall actually writing any previous fiction, I did pair up my two top video game heroines - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider), and Debgate (Everquest), graphically, and on a webpage.

Debgate has continued her existence, post-EQ, as a Surgeon-Captain aboard the Star Destroyer, Ambivalence, in the Role Playing Forum.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I misread that as "NSFW fanfic".

And I don't see why not. I've been taking a long hiatus from writing SW fics (I got burned out), so much of what I write now (when I do write) are non-SW fics. We're allowed to write them, so go ahead and write the Lara Croft fic. :)

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thanks, TrakNar.

Quite pleased with my start. 880 words down. Basically ressurrecting the OCs I had gathered as staff on the RPF Adoptions service that I used to run on the Welcome New Users thread, was easier and more pleasurable than I thought it would be.

Trying to find the Adoptions thread so I could link from the story though, collapsed several windows, and I thought I had a) run out of purchased internet time, and b) lost what I had written.

Fortunately the Word doc was still there, and I managed to post it. [face_party]

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am not in charge of this thread or anything, but the story is not eligible for the challenge.

I bookmarked to read it, though; as it's a response to my prompt and I am curious! :)

Glad that you manages to save the document, too. Do you use Dropbox and/or Evernote? They are lifesavers.

6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Disappointing.

I was on the verge of abandoning the story, then spotted that you bookmarked it? Does that mean you visited the existing material already?

Don't know what Dropbox or Evernote, are, but note that my smartphone has a Dropbox icon.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, I visited it and I am going to comment in the next hours. I have a horrible cold so...I may sound weird at first.

There is Dropbox? Go ahead, open an account. It can synch your files across computers, tablets and phones; so you always have the latest version. If that's a Samsung phone, they will give you a whooping 50 Gb for free. Not sure if other brands run such promotions, but they might.

8. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    I could have sworn we fixed it so that non-Star Wars OC fics were eligible. Am I imagining things?

9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    We did -- here's the post dated 10 January 2015. It's just that the new rules didn't make it to the first page of the thread cc OCDatabaseSock earlybird-obi-wan.

Also, cc Sith-I-5 -- your NSWFF story is eligible after all [:D]

Kahara likes this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is good news! :)

And, since I got confused and unintentionally confused Sith-I-5 ...the OCDatabaseSock could rewrite the OP.

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah sweet. Excellent news.

I will try to PM a link to the sock, today, in case I forget later.

12. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Challenge post updated

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Findswoman likes this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Second post in, really pleased to get Debgate inside the big stone doors at the start of Tomb Raider.

I'll count that as a chapter end.

15. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    With school-time coming to an end everywhere (exams, chose a new school) we have a new discussion for this month: Your OC reflecting on his/her school-time

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    This is pretty timely for my OCs :D. Since Raissa became Doran's padawan, they've both been reflecting on their education.

Doran's school was the Jedi Academy, and he was a less than ideal student, because he was the kind who questioned everything. He didn't buy that his teachers automatically knew everything just because they were Jedi. Doran earned a lot of lectures on the virtues of patience and perseverance. Chyntuck commented that it was a wonder he didn't get expelled. His master, Blayne Onfroi, was an independent-minded Corellian Jedi, who actually encouraged Doran's tendency to question authority. Unfortunately, this often put them both at odds with the Council. Now that Doran is a teacher, he feels quite out of his element. It's hard to question authority when you are the authority figure ;)

Raissa, on the other hand, was very studious as a girl. She's the kind who puts all her effort into getting the very best grade she possibly can, even though she had a series of teachers who actively wanted her to fail, from the dance instructor who told her she'd never be as graceful as her older sister to the drill sergeants who thought women had no place in the Imperial Academy. When Raissa realizes she hasn't been working as hard at her Jedi training as she should, she's rather ashamed of herself.

17. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Kaagi Adin's school was at the Jeditemple and he was often involved in mischievous mayhem. He had a great friend in Aaqu Maerhin and became after Aaqu was knighted the padawan of a Corellian Jedi and healer Glinis Ra-Ond.
    In his diaries he wrote about his education and adventures.

Another of my OC's - Tarko Sanek - was raised as a Jedi but was also educated outside the temple going to pilot-training and Republic Special Forces trainingon Anaxes. After the purge he got his degree to become a doctor.

Mick Kerebuy - becoming an orphan - was adopted and wanted to become a doctor like his fosterparents. School had him meeting with a teacher with an interest in flying and he attended pilot-training too.

Ewok Poet, divapilot and Kahara like this.
  18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    My OCs, Breha and Blue, both attended college but neither actually graduated.

Bree attended academic classes at the Jedi Academy, although as a non-Force sensitive she obviously couldn't do all the classes. However, since it was where her brothers and sister went, she wanted to go there too. She received an equivalency diploma, and she excelled at writing and communications. Bree was always curious and absorbed as much as she could - learning about computers from Ghent, history from Tionne, and of course, engineering from her dad, Han. Her natural intelligence got her into the prestigious University of Corellia, where she studied literature and psychology. She was devastated when her brother died when she was sixteen, and she had thrown herself into her studies as her way of avoiding dealing with her grief. However, after a while, the depression got too great for her and she left college abruptly to deal with the emotional damage. She would like to go back someday but hasn't really focused on it.

Blue has a keen intelligence that made sucess in academics easy. He pretty much sailed through school and was accepted into the pre-med program at an excellent university on Baroli. He saw academic success as a way to gain his parent's approval, since he knew they valued it, but at this time he was already a functional alcoholic. By the time he was in his second year in college his natural intelligence was not enough to save his grades from failing (you actually have to go to class and do the work too). At this point he was deep into his spice addiction. Like Bree, he left school abruptly. He would like to return to school at some point and fulfill his dream of becoming a doctor, but he knows that his past will always be an obstacle to getting admission to any program.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Let's see...some bits and pieces about some of my OCs. Cannot reveal more, it's relevant to the plot and all.

Charon San Valorum never graduated and, out of Deeply Religious members, only Anra Renek did. The band members have mixed feelings about education, but they certainly don't like the system the way it is, being tr00 pronk musicians and all. Koobalt Nubes' parents, prominent people in the Nubia Star Drivers Inc. were initially surprised that their son opted for drumming in a band, as opposed to taking an internship in the respected company they work at, but they decided to support him, nevertheless.

At this point in time, Doria Vorr is implied to have finished her courses at the First Agricultural Institute of Saccorata "with 100%", but with no special honours of any kind; which, for some reason, annoys her mother.

Deeina Ferry has never gone to traditional classes, as she was raised in a free-spirited community of artisans on Aurea; but she has been long dreaming of attending a proper university.

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Regarding the Summer Challenge, I'm quite enjoying re-running my OC through From Russia With Love. Tempted to make it part of her actual history and background.

I would really love to get involved in the discussion, but the subject matter does not apply to any of my characters...though now that I think about it, to some of you, the term "school" extends beyond childhood...in which case, Debgate, my Everquest character turned Imperial medic and officer, trained at Coruscant Medical School, but apart from the single line of background, I never expanded on that.

21. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Tatooine and Kamino, two places with bad weather in the GFFA.
    A heat-wave in America, Europe brings along the new discussion:
    Tell us about the weather on the home planet of your OC.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oh, darn. Apart from Jax Novo, all my characters are from temperate planets with four seasons: Endor, Sacorria, Nubia, Vagran and Aurea.

Rau_Fang and Kahara like this.
  23. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, a lot of my OCs are from temperate planets as well, except for those from heavily weather-controlled Coruscant, that is.

I will tell you all about one planet, though. I created it about ten years ago for something I was working on then. Selvernos is a planet that the majority of the largest continent is semi-permanently stuck in the rainforest of the Pacific Northwest: a lot of trees and a lot of rain. As such, it took settlers to the planet a lot of work to adapt and likely caused Separatist forces a lot of issues with corrosion when they tried to take the planet during the Clone Wars.

Rau_Fang, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Zolph Vaelor has moved around a lot as a kid, so he doesn't have a defined homeworld. His current homeworld, Ossus (during the time period right after NJO), while nearly recovered from damage done to it thousands of years ago, still has some pretty desolate areas bordering the Jedi Academy. The temperature around these parts is somewhat arid.

Gahmah Raan's home planet, Krishar has weather that ranges from rainy to humid. It is an ocean-covered world with several subtropical islands.

While Grein wasn't born there, Sleheyron, due to a being a volcanic world (not as extreme as Mustafar or Shola), is always somewhat hot during the day regardless of distance from the volcanoes (the urban settlements are usually pretty far away so inhabitants don't need to worry about volcanic ash), but decently warm at night.

Her birth world, Csilla, on the other hand, is freezing cold all the time.

Ockla Prime, where most of the Valkoran Empire characters come from, while temperate, is usually very cloudy and prone to thunderstorms. The imperial capital city has an energy shield protecting it from the storms and several lightning rods on the tallest buildings (including the Imperial palace, which is tall enough to extend past the shield dome) to prevent power surges caused by lightning strikes.

25. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    To cover the last two discussion topics...

My main OC, Darin, had schooling that was standard for his homeworld. School there is year-round without any large breaks between sessions, starting when they're young and ending when they're 16. In each person's final year or two, they go to school part-time and have working internships (called apprentice-jobs) part-time, which are geared toward getting them full-time jobs right after graduation. It's in the Corporate Sector, so employment is a high priority. The schooling covers all the typical subjects (galactic history, mathematics, sciences, language/composition/literature, etc.). Darin's least favorite subject was Economics, and he often got in trouble for ignoring the Economics lecture and secretly reading his Astronautics textbook in that class instead.

For weather, overall the planet is on the cool side - it orbits its sun at a distance closer to where Mars's orbit would be than Earth's, comparatively speaking. Weather in Darin's hometown ranges from cool summers to very cold winters. The planet's axial tilt causes seasonal variations and subsequently lots of wind. A local year is roughly 1.5 standard years, so seasons are slow to change. Daytime on the planet is often overcast with clouds, but nighttime often has clear skies. Darin started off as my role-playing character, and the time in one of the games when he had to set foot on Tatooine was one of the most miserable days of his life. :p He passed out from the heat.