main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    Well, you can see this character on my avatar.
    Her name is Elaine Nega. She started out as a Sonic the Hedgehog fan character. I planned to do a Stardust/ Sonic crossover, but I also wanted to add OCs. She was one of the OCs. Her first concept was the main villain' s opposite. In fact, they looked similar, only my character looked at her late teens/ early twenties, darker hair and green eyes. While the villain was seeking immortality, her purpose was to demonstrate that immortality isn' t that good, so she is ageless( but can die a violent death) . Later the universe got development, and the story became a pure Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction. I' m writing it now, but once I started making content for The Sims 2( warning, dangerously addictive life simulator that can be modded as you wish, where everything is possible if you know how) , I started to create my own world. This was some randomness that looked like a crossover world between Star Wars, Sonic the Hedgehog, Harry Potter and Avatar: The Last Airbender. She also was there. And that is when she started to get a drama, as her immortality started to ruin her life seriously. But I also got attached to her. That' s how one' s imagination can turn against them if they don' t control it. Now I don' t know how to give her story a good ending,because I don' t want to kill her off.
    Art( first one was drawn by another person) :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is a retelling of what happened to her in the game( I warn you, it' s totally random) http://kindgenius.deviantart.com/ar...-345850964?q=gallery:kindgenius/41450465&qo=0

2. Master Elaine Nega

Mar 30, 2013
    Omg... I put an answer for a question that already was answered... And I don' t have a fanfiction here... Someone sorry for my stupidness! Please delete my post!

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    And some new discussion questions:​

1) Why do you write OCs?​
    A: Because I was sick of people saying, "I can't see [insert canon character name here] doing or saying that. If I have my OC doing something weird...then it is in character. HA! You obviously don't know my OC character as well as I do. Also I have a greater sense of creativity. I am not just putting words inside somebody else's character... although I am still using the SW universe...so it is not totally unique.​

2) What challenges have you faced with writing OCs?​
    A: They are not as popular reading subjects in fanfiction. It is hard to get people to like your character as well as you like them.​
    I saw earlier a question on clothing. I have a family of OC characters called the Tantiss family. Three out of the four are Jedi, but I had a drawing made up of the two sons out on the town. I had a friend do the drawing, but I sent him photos of clothing. It thought their clothing would look like this:​
    [​IMG]

An yes, I know the sign is in English and not Basic, but why have a sign nobody can read.​

4. Master Elaine Nega

Mar 30, 2013
    Offtop: Sorry for being a stupid noob, but can I join? I' m just not sure if you' re still taking newbies.
    1) Why do you write OCs?
    Just for fun. And to add character types that weren' t used in the universe. And sometimes because I don' t see a fitting canon to be the main character for the story I thought out.
    2) What challenges have you faced with writing OCs?
    If you' re about fanfiction challenges, not much. I write when I have inspiration, which is not dependable on contests and challenges. Also, since I' m new, my fanfics aren' t yet here. If you mean problems with creation, none. I just let my imagination flow. But if you' re speaking of the life challenges my OC has gone trough, a lot. First, it was learning to accept what she is( because she is a genetically modified clone who was meant to be a living weapon, but she got lost her memory in a fight and was found by the jedi. There she was taken for training, and she served the Order for about 2 decades when she found out the truth about her heritage. It was a big conflict inside her, between what she used to be, and what she was at the moment. But later she coped with it, she found peace once again by helping others. However, the memories of her past continued to haunt her) .Second, it was a problem of letting go. The person she loved was in love with someone else, and she was also ageless( due to her heritage), which was impossible to change. So she decided to keep her feelings a secret and let him be happy. Third, at the beginning she was slightly wild and not used to the society, because before losing her memory, no one really cared about teaching her behaving among society. But later this problem was also solved when she started gaining more experience in communication.

5. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Master Elaine Nega , welcome! Anyone and everyone can join in. :) This is a discussion thread for OC aficionados, whether one reads them or writes them or both, and we have optional writing challenges that are open to everyone. If you have any questions, just ask.

6. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    1. Why do you write OCs?

Why not? Canons are big places, especially one like Star Wars that spans a galaxy and a bit beyond. For SW, it's a big galaxy full of people, and while I've never written an entirely OC-centric fic, OCs provide a good opportunity to get into things that canon hasn't, or to play off of canon characters and put them into new situations to force them to grow and/or reflect about themselves. Keenah (my Vong priestess OC from earlier in the thread) was essentially created to be the opposite of Tahiri (Tahiri is a human who was partially shaped into a Yuuzhan Vong; Keenah is a Yuuzhan Vong who somehow acquired the ability to use the Force), and I enjoyed both playing Keenah off Tahiri and following Keenah's own development and eventual crisis of faith.

The most OC-centric thing I've ever done, though, was an Avatar: the Last Airbender AU epic called The Fall of the Fire Empire. Being a Bad Future AU (roughly a century into the future at that) it involved only a couple of long-lived canon characters, but was mostly focused on my OC cast, many of whom were intended as thematic countperparts to the protagonists of the actual show. I've been done with it for two and a half years now, but I'm still proud of all the work I sunk into those characters.

2. What challenges have you faced writing OCs?

Well, it really depents on the OC in question:). To use my two favorite Star Wars OCs from I, Warrior, my biggest problem with Keenah was that she kept trying to turn into Nen Yim (probably because I liked the Tahiri/Nen Yim dynamic in canon and always wondered how it would have developed had Nen lived). I'd call that the "similar to a canon character" problem, where the OC sort of wants to be that canon character. Fortunately, by focusing on Keenah's more spiritual nature as a result of her priest caste training as well as her Force ability, I feel like I was able to develop her into an interesting character in her own right rather than a Suspiciously Similar Substitute for someone else.

Another major problem was an OC who was the only member of their species in the story turning into a stereotype of that species. This was a problem I really dealt with for my Trandoshan mercenary, Hassk. I tried to bring in elements that were distinctively Trandoshan without making him defined by them. Hassk doesn't like Wookiees, because Trandoshan society at large is racist against Wookiees and Hassk has never really had to question this belief, but he doesn't go out of his way to kill Wookiees, just makes the odd snide comment. He loves to hunt, which is a big Trandoshan thing, but he's more level-headed and pragmatic than a mad thrill-of-the-hunt type. Above all, Hassk is a practical, serious, amoral (but with certain standards) professional, who is a product of his culture and species, but not a walking stereotype of Trandoshans.

My current ongoing fic also explores this one in a different way with my Bothan OC Fesyr. In many ways, she's every stereotype of a Bothan ever, being competitive, sneaky, clever, and suspicious to the point of outright paranoia- but a lot of that is that she has a very rose-tintend view of her people and is trying to be the Bothanest Bothan who ever Bothaned. Her arc will end up dealing heavily with the fact that maybe her own people aren't as awesome as she thinks they are and how she comes to terms with that.

A final problem has come up while working with one of my villains from my current fic, Aristocra Lirnan of the Chiss, and that's making sure I find a good balance of competence for him. Lirnan's a clever, charismatic guy and he needs to come off as someone savvy enough to manipulate a people as generally perceptive as the Chiss, but at the same time he can't be soo brilliant that the ultimate reveal that someone else is playing him feels like it comes out of nowhere. He's not appeared in person yet, but it's something I find I definitely have to keep in mind when planning out his scenes.

7. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Sorry for the delay here, everyone. Darth Real Life has been intruding.

Remember we have our challenge ongoing! PM the links of your entries to the sock. :)

We're going to experiment a little here with a game. Everyone is welcome to participate.

I'll start off with an action at the end of this post, like "flirt with a cute stranger at a cantina." The next person to post will choose one or more of their OCs, give us their name(s), and say whether or not the character would perform that action ("[name] would never flirt with a stranger. She's too shy!"]. Then that poster will choose a new action and put it at the end of their post for the next poster to answer.

When answering, if you want to make it a simple statement, feel free. If you want to expand on situations, caveats, or if-then statements for the action to take place or not take place, feel free to do that too. Whatever you'd care to share. This is meant to get us thinking about our characters and maybe generate a plot bunny or two. :) The proposed actions can be mundane, zany, or anything in between.

Here's the first action:

Learn a language other than Basic (or the character's native tongue).

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  8. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I like your example action better. [face_laugh]

Though languages aren't his strong suit, Bryont MqCray would attempt to learn other languages. He does know Huttese fairly well.

Since I like the example action, and cannot think of what else to put atm...

Flirt with a cute stranger in a cantina.

9. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Khoury Vita (a newish character I've been working on) would definitely flirt with a cute stranger anywhere. But said cute stranger would have to be another female of most species, because Khoury doesn't play for the other team.

Action: Go up to a stranger in public and insult them (without being drunk)

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    GySgt Tuffass would never go up to a stranger in public and insult them while he was sober. He is a polite Gand. He may be harsh on his recruits, but he is polite and cordial with civilians.

Help a random stranger with an armload of groceries.

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Jimi would definitely help a random stranger with an armload of groceries. He might even sneak a pinch of flesh if she's cute. [face_whistling]

Action: Sing out loud in public.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My OC Mark already sung out loud in public a few chapters back.

Action: Go to the beach or pool in a very skimpy swimsuit.

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Aube' often bathes on the beach topless when she's home on Corellia, so yeah.

Do something crazy on a bet?

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My OC Talon Tantiss would do something incredibly stupid or crazy on a bet.

Action: Would your OC ever settle down and have a family?

15. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Meaithe will settle down eventually (probably not marriage, more committed relationship). But having a family is out of the question since she chose to have a non-functional reproductive system.

Action: Dance on top of a table

16. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Hassk, unless you somehow convinced him it would make him a better hunter, would glare at you in silent disbelief if you suggested he do such a thing.

Action:Take a job from a known criminal

17. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    "Chopper" Forsgren would take a job from a known criminal, within reason. Certain jobs he wouldn't do, and he might stay away from some particular hard-time criminals, but other than that he wouldn't mind much who hires him.

Visit Coruscant.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    All of my OCs live on Coruscant.

Action: Leave their current profession and take on an entirely new career.

19. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Palai Cerunna leaves the profession she was born into when it becomes illegal. She ceases to be a courtesan, and becomes a writer and amateur historian. Her autobiography does pretty well in the galactic publishing market.

Action: Poke a sleeping Krayt Dragon

20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Former Jedi padawan Jesin Fialka would want to do that but his new mentor Halfir Majeski strongly advices him not to do. "We do want to escape this dustball together and head to our homeworld" was what het told Jesin.

Action: Argue with a medic about some treatment

21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    GySgt Tuffass would certainly argue with a medic about some treatment. In his later years, his old war injuries came back to haunt him, so he's had to deal with medics a lot more. And he is a stubborn old Gand.

Drive a speeder without a license.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think if there was a need to drive a speeder all my OCs would even without a license. If you are simply talking about a joyride...then probably not. I know in my stories I once mentioned my character couldn't wait to get his license.

Action: Have a one night stand.

23. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Two of my OC's would definitely have one night stands. Chevor is flirtatious across several lifetimes, even the one where he is a Jedi. Khoury prefers one night stands because, hey, no attachments!

Action: Rob the rich to pay for the poor

24. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    It is great to see that this is still going after all this time. I don't know when I will be getting the chance to write again, though because I need to find my old stories, go over them to see exactly where I got to in them and get back into the mood for writing. DRL hasn't helped - uni stopped me from pretty much doing any writing, last year was a horrible nightmare which I would like to forget for various reasons which I won't go into because it would be an epic in itself, and I've signed up for an online biology course this summer so I'm not sure when I will be back into writing. Sooner, rather than later, I hope!

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My OCs wouldn't rob the rich to give to the poor unless the rich got that way by ill gotten gains.

Action: Learn to play a musical instrument.