main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    In some ways, I feel a newbie with the new forum host. That said, I dont know how to add pics or link them.

The last vignette series I posted in these forums featured my OC, Jedi initiate Lens Eli. Because I'm not knowledgeable enough about teen actors, I'm going to say that actor Jensen Ackles is who Lens most resembles. I did not model Lens after the actor, but the resemblance is clear to Ackles character, Dean Winchester, on Supernatural.
    [​IMG]

divapilot and Kahara like this.
  2. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    OK after giving it some thought I finally have my cast.

Tyran and Rixa Numeck: (since they're both almost identical) a young Russel Crowe (circa Gladiator)

Dyir Carud: Edward Burns

Ryia Devieyc: Jason Statham

Dain Dolvo: Karl Urban

Kial Volar: Gerard Butler

Aru Numeck: Rhona Mitra

Jaya Numeck: Kate Beckinsale

Savah Tervho: Milla Jovovich

Raven Varos: Famke Janssen

Neada Tash: Amanda Righetti

Kahara likes this.
  3. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Fall Challenge 2014 - Results

Apologies for being late here, but we have a challenge winner! :)

Raissa Baiard Solves Them All by Raissa Baiard

Congratulations to Raissa Baiard , who will get to pick the next topic.

Note: Thanks to everyone who participated by writing and/or voting -- this was an excellent set of challenge entries.

4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ is all I have to say. "The case of the guilty granny" got its well-deserved win! We'll all be waiting for the next challenge. Coming from such a wonderful writer, it's bound to be interesting and fun!

As I already said in your respective threads, I loved all the entries, and I'd really like to know more about those OCs who didn't get much of a story of their own yet (*hint*hint* Viridian-Maiden Ink.Knight ;) -- Mando-Man you're covered for now, but when I'm done catching up with your fic you'll hear a lot more from me!)

6. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Congrats Raissa Baiard! Your fic was fantastic and light-hearted, exactly what I needed the day I read it. I can't wait to read more of your stuff. :)

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Congrats for all of you for the nice entries.

I make paintings of my OC's. Some are modelled after actors like Alex O'Loughlin (Jehna Er-San but he has blonde hair) and George Clooney (Jason Guyet)

8. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Congratulations on the win Raissa Baiard

I'm looking forward to your challenge idea, it is sure to be interesting :D

9. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Congrats, Raissa Baiard. :) Like everyone else, I'm curious to see what you come up with for a prompt.

10. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Congratulations @Raissa_Baiard!

11. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Winter Challenge (December 11 - January 20)

Challenge idea from Raissa Baiard:

Due dates:

PM your story link to the sock by January 20. Voting will begin on the 21st. PM your votes to the sock.

Everyone who is a member of the forums and reads the competition stories can vote. Just a note, since there have been questions. Readers, writers, and lurkers are all welcome. :) The only restrictions are that you not vote for your own story. Also, I've assumed that the thread-runners don't vote because we can see all the votes so far; it would have the potential to skew things weirdly. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I looked it up last time and found nothing. Staying out seemed like the appropriate way to do things, but I may have been overthinking it.)

Reoccurring Challenge Rules
    Just so we're all clear how all of these challenges are going to work:

1. For your response to be accepted for voting, it must be OC-driven. This means that it features only OCs or any canon characters that appear only play a minor role.

2. You may write your responses in any era (Before/Saga/Beyond). We are not, at this time, accepting responses from Non-Star Wars fanficion. I believe there is a NSWFF OC thread somewhere.

3. Do not post your challenge responses or links to them in this thread. Instead, PM them to the OCDatabaseSock. When time for voting comes the thread hosts will post a list of links to stories that were entered into the challenge.

4. Each challenge will have a deadline. In order to be qualified for voting, your story link must be PMed to the sock by that deadline. If you are late, we will still share it with the thread, but it is ineligible for voting.

5. The voting period will usually be about a week long. Each challenge will specify this length. Votes should be PMed to the sock within that period to count.

6. You cannot vote for yourself. Also, please don't just vote for your friends. Read everyone's responses and chose the winner after you have read through them all. Let's be fair to everyone.

7. The winner of each challenge gets to set the theme for the next challenge. The winner should PM the sock with their challenge idea after each challenge finishes.

Just-for-Fun Challenge: Festivities

This is a non-competition challenge. It can be done separate from or in addition to the Winter Challenge. Write a story that includes the word "festivities" and use 500 words or less.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yay, two OC challenges for the price of one!
    Given that the thread-runners are brilliant fanficcers in their own right, I wouldn't mind if they voted and even less if they participated [:D] I mean, we're doing this for fun, it's just OC-driven fan fiction, not a presidential election in Florida, so I think we should take it easy. My two drachmas :)

Kahara likes this.
  13. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Well, with the challenge participation I see no reason why we couldn't do the non-competing challenges. But I know the Internet. Leaving a space where trouble can enter the room rarely ends well. I don't think anyone here would cause trouble and I'm pretty convinced of my own honesty (but of course I would say that ;)) but I think anti-drama safety settings are a good thing to have when you're always open to the public. It's never just the people that you think are out there. There are entire sagas of fandom drama that I've seen collected on other sites, and it can be explosive to say the least. As for the voting, perhaps I'll ask one of the mods since they're used to keeping the peace of the boards and would have more experienced foresight about the whole thing.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Here's something I always wonder about OCs. What about characters like the PCs in The Old Republic? The game canon provides a hint of a framework, but there's a lot more room to grow them in ways the story canon really can't cover. Would they be considered some weird canon/OC hybrid, since they're much more fleshed out than their game counterparts?

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  15. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    That's interesting! I feel like the player characters that are highly customized like the Bounty Hunter/Jedi Knight/whatever from The Old Republic are OC's for the purpose of this thread. Their very basics are not fixed by canon. But what about the many writers who have developed alternate versions of Revan? There are a lot of female Revan stories for some reason. [face_dunno]

I do know that developing a very minor canon character is often about the same level and kind of work as making an OC.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  16. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008

the female Revan is actually the canon Revan, the male one isn't.

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Is this like how the Holiday Special never happened? :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    What Holiday Special [face_thinking]

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  19. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    New Discussion: Snow Day

Here's a set of winter discussion questions for fun. (Also see SabyneAmberle's interesting question about borderline OC's.)

How do your OC's feel about winter weather? Did they have a snowy, cold winter season on their homeworld or was it warm all year round? Perhaps they would be more familiar with dry and rainy seasons. Or, maybe they come from somewhere very cold and feel at home in the chill. :)

How do they respond if they go to a Hoth-type planet or to somewhere more temperate in the cold season? Does snow falling from the sky confuse them? Delight them? Scare them? Remind them of winter celebrations or bad memories? Are they highly sensitive to the cold, or unusually resilient against it?

Are there traditional foods, clothing, or sights/sounds/smells that they associate with winter? Are there winter sports that they enjoyed as a child or still practice?

Reminder: Challenge entries are due on January 20; see the earlier challenge post for further details.

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Side question about challenge timing: It came up last time that I am not entirely sure that everyone sees the boards' time the same. My own account has a time zone option, so I'm not sure that I see what all the contestants do. Would it be better/helpful to use something like the Worldclock site (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/) and pick a city for our "official" time? I've been wondering if it might be an issue since we have writers from all over the world here.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Oh man, I spent the day watching it flurry! What a great question.

My two main OCs from True Blue would think this way. Bree really wouldn't care too much about the cold; she has learned to be very adaptable. She makes the best of any environment. Besides, she has spent childhood holidays in the mountains on Corellia, so it's not like she has never seen snow before.

Blue would hate it. He comes from a very warm, tropical home and is way more comfortable on a beach than a ski slope. But he will go wherever Bree wants to be.

Thanks for kick starting this discussion!

Re timing - I don't care as long as it is consistent.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Kaagi doesn't mind. He sees snow as something for pranks (during his time with the Jedi) and now - living on Moniron - as something to have again fun with.
    His friends agree fully with him.

Van Doran and his fellow Ceitans would hate it. They live on Varanko, a very tropical planet.
    Same is for Rob Spanish and friends.

Kahara likes this.
  23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Gee, I neglected this thread in December, but you can blame that on the Word Race. Here goes...
    This is a really good question and it also applies to minor background characters. Who are, for instance, the two aliens having lunch with Sebulba in the open-air restaurant scene in TPM? Or the spaceship cook who gets upset at Artoo for fetching drinks for Anakin and Padmé in AOTC? Two of my favourite EU books are the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace, because they give a background to characters we saw on screen for a fraction of a second and whose story really doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things, but they are quintessentially starwarsy.

I can't speak about playable characters because I've never played the TOR games, so I don't know how much context the game gives you, but when developing one of those characters who just appear in the background of some scene and who say very little or even nothing at all, the process is exactly the same as developing an OC. Specifically, it's the same as developing an OC who gets to interact with one or more canon characters and who intervenes in the canon timeline/plot, so you have to arrange their story for the scene to happen. I'm specifying this because, in my experience at least, fitting an OC in the canon SW plot is quite different from writing an OC whose story happens parallel to the canon SW -- in the latter case, you have to play by the established rules of the SW universe obviously, but you don't need to retcon a million details to give them a role.
    This is something I need to think about a lot more, because 1. having spent part of her childhood on Kashyyyk, Ayesha would definitely know what snow is about, but what happens when you're a human in a family of Wookiees? Wookies don't even wear clothes! [face_thinking] 2. I have a future chapter taking place on an ice world, and I have no clue yet how I'm going to write that.

Other than Ayesha, I think all of my OCs come from planets that don't have a real winter (Tashi - Sullust, Lamtee and Dacco - Zeltros, Nazmat Koch, Kal and Mira - Coruscant, Onion - Malastare, Matt Ruud - Kuat). My subconscious was probably at work here. I'll be back later this month with more answers.
    This isn't really an issue for me since I live on the other side of the Atlantic compared to most participants on this thread and I won't stay up until 5 am to write a fic. I'm comfortable with trusting everyone to respect the deadline in their own time zone and what I like about these boards is that we seem to generally avoid the explosive fandom drama sagas Kahara mentioned earlier, but if you guys and gals think we should be cautious I'm all for it :)

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, for Cami Sookanado, who came from a tropical part of Rodia, she finds snow to be really pretty. It became especially beautiful after she was released from prison and left when it was snowing. It's silent and peaceful, and was a welcoming addition to her newfound freedom.

My other characters don't really have opinions on snow.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I too admit to having neglected this thread during December, between the word race and assorted RL crud. [face_blush]

I'm not sure exactly how my various Gand OCs (most of whom have never been away from their homeworld at the time of my story) would feel about winter and snow, but I imagine it wouldn't necessarily be totally unfamiliar to them either. To my knowledge, not much has been established about climate patterns on Gand, though given that the pocket colonies are supposed to be pretty isolated and remote from each other, I'm imagining that the colonies might have widely differing climates. And that some of those climates might be cold and snowy, perhaps with mountains (I have some prose about such a place somewhere—would be a picturesque place for a temple or the hermitage of a senior Findsman). I also imagine that dressing in layers to keep warm would not be a foreign concept to the Gand, and particularly Findsmen, since I imagine traditional Findsman attire as consisting of several layers anyway.

Now as for Bonvika... her Hutt-typical "natural insulation" aside ( 8-} ), I think she's the sort who would prefer to spend a snowy winter's day curled up before the fire in a luxurious, wood-paneled ski-lodge-type place with a nice hot intoxicating drink in hand (perhaps the GFFA equivalent of Irish coffee) and freshly baked wintertime treats. Partly because her native Nal Hutta is not a particularly wintry place as I recall, but partly because she's just not the sort to go out in the elements herself—that's for her numerous underlings to do. ("Oh, Kiri-Aki, dahling! Go out and fetch some more wood for the fire, won't you!")

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.