main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bring Back The Original Characters...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by dv909, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    The thing is Palpatine didn't tell the clones that the Jedi were traitors. He just said 'execute Order 66' like as if the clones knew exactly what it was. And then Cody just said 'Yes, sir'. Meaning him and the clones knew all along what Order 66 was. Which also means that the entire time, Cody and clones were faking everyone out.

They are programmed people with fake personalities. Their true personalities shows up in the middle of Revenge of the Sith. Which means in this entire CW we will be seeing the fake clone personalities.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    You assume too much. The fact that they knew what Order 66 meant, doesn't mean they knew that from the beginning of the war. For all we know, Palpatine could have instructed the platoon commanders about this about a few weeks before the end of the war. It could very well be that he did this before or around the time he tells Anakin about his suspicions. All he needed to do is tell Cody & co that he suspected the Jedi of treason, and that the time might come that they would have to end this conspiracy. The order would be 66.

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    What you're saying isn't completely wrong. The part about them being "fake" is however. You are right, they are programmed: programmed to do whatever they are told by the highest authority.

like as if the clones knew exactly what it was

They did know what Order 66 was. The way I understand it, Order 66 was programmed into them upon their conception, a hidden order that only a few people knew about it (minus the clones). It alone was one of many legal Orders specifically given to the clones to "execute" when ordered to. This one in particular stated the following:

In fact, many of the Clone troopers were surprised, but carried it out anyway because it came from Palpatine. They did their duty to the Republic, like they were programmed to do from the start.

4. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I knew it.

I really do pray we get a CGI series set between Episode IV and V.

5. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Thad does not confirm exactly what you were saying. They were not fake. ;)

That'd be interesting.

6. LukeRules_PadmeRocks

LukeRules_PadmeRocks Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    CGI or traditional animation, I'd be happy with anything onscreen covering the ANH-ESB time period. There's a lot of rich untapped potential for good story-telling here.

7. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    Of course, they did. knowing the orders was their job. I expect, hey knew them all by heart, ebcause haivng to look up tings in a war is - deadly. What I really would like to know is what had happened if Palps had accidentally ordered them to execute Order 65. [face_mischief]

And, as I understood it, they didn't start out with much of a personality. It was all potential. Getting in contact with the world and coping lead to perosnalöities. And that would take some time. Not that many clones got enough of that.:p

8. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    Interesting how no one wants to look at the original topic, but rather nitpick an irrelevant piece of one single reply.

9. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    You know what I think would be interesting...probably has been brought up. But, depending on when they start the Live Action Series, I would love to see a young Han Solo. That'd be great.

Though, it would be weird not having Harrison Ford as Han Solo. :(

10. Etain

May 11, 2008
    I know, Cid.
    But if people can do it to topics I think interesting, I don't feel ashamed to do it myslef some times.[face_whistling]

Besides, I'm in full clone-defence-sock.[face_blush]

I wonder what Luke and Co would look like, if they too the design on the CW3D and applied it to them. Would I love it or hate it?[face_thinking]
    Maybe I wouldn't care, if only the story was good...

11. buggyvirus1

buggyvirus1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    I would love to se the original characters fight the evil empire with a clone emperor and perhaps a cloned luke. :D Maybe see the kids of han and leia grow and use the force.

12. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I don't know if that will happen. I mean, for one, Lucas has stated that he's finished telling the story of the Skywalkers. Also, I am not sure if he approves fully with the way the EU has gone. I do think I remember reading somewhere (might have been on these boards actually) that he would have done the EU-material completely different. It would be interesting to see what he would have done.

However, I do think he shouldn't tread into that territory. Dipping into the post-ROTJ could anger A LOT of people who read it if he were to just up and change everything.

13. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I have always wanted to see a show about Han Solo and Chewbacca before they joined the rebellion.

14. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    DC Comics did just that in 1986 when they rebooted their entire continuity after crisis on infinite earths. Worked out pretty well for them.

15. Etain

May 11, 2008
    I wouldn't mind a complete restart of post-RotJ. I'd prefer it to start just before NJO, but you gotta be fairs, so all or nothing. I think I can handle two parallel SW-continuities.[face_thinking]
    Maybe if they really ran parallel, the TV-shows vs. the books. One not interfering with the other. It might just work.:)

16. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Q: Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?

Lucas: I've left pretty explicit instructions for there to be not any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything! And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married...

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8008#155123

17. blow_up_the_outside

blow_up_the_outside Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2006
    Hmm I dont think I would like an EU reset, im happy with it so far, however I am only up to Thawn trilogy post ROTJ. Most EU I have read has been excellent (TPM era up to Thawn time).

I dont think Lucas will reset the EU anyway, as he said, his story of Star Wars ends at ROTJ.

18. blow_up_the_outside

blow_up_the_outside Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2006
    What do people think of the idea using new actors similar the Abrams new Trek movie? I can see Luke and Liea being played by other actors but not Han, It wouldnt be Han without Harrison Ford. However it could be done, will Kirk and Spock work withouth Shatner and Nimoy?

Who could play Luke, Liea and Han?

19. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    If their was a reset, it's not like it would eat the old continuity any more than post 1986 DC Comics Universe reset gobbled up the previous stories it replaced. You'd still have like 40 books of dubious, varying, and hotly debated quality to read.

There IS precedent for it. And precedent among VERY hardcore fans that had spent decades (sometimes as much as 50 years) getting attached to Superman slinging stars around and Batman fighting Joker on giant typewriters (That reset toned Superman's powers WAY down and made Batman the gritty avenger we are familiar with today).

It could work, it's been done successfully before.

Not really the point, i don't think he will either. He's too busy trying to prove he was right all along with how he made the prequels. I'd rather see GL's version than a pack of writers unrelated to SW.

20. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Thanks for that Humble_Jedi. :D

Yeah, but you can't compare it to that reset. That was just a couple years after the last movie and with only a small, tiny fraction of what the EU has now, and with only a small, TINY fraction of the amount of readers. The EU novels practically began in early '90s with the Thrawn...so, that's almost 20 years alone of novels. It'd be hard and difficult to keep fans happy.

21. Cid

Aug 7, 2007

You're kidding me, right? The fanbase at the time was HUGE, and dedicated. And much of that continuity was 40 or 50 years old at the time. They didn't just reset Superman, they reset their whole line of books. All of it. COMPANYwide. I can absolutely compare it to that reset. There is a segment of the readership at that time that is STILL upset about it, 22 years later!

22. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Hmmm...I thought you just meant Star Wars. I was unaware. My mistake. :)

But, I don't think it'd be wise for Lucasarts to do that.

23. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    Star Wars was marvel.

My main point with this is that the SW EU is in danger of collapsing under it's own continuity. One indicator of this is Lumiya appearing in recent books. Lumiya was a character that appeared in the late 70's/early 80's Marvel comics star wars series that was resurrected in LOTF, so they have basically accepted the entire marvel line as "EU canon" and are referring to it. Basically this is a pretty bad thing. When continuity becomes so convoluted that they start reaching for obscure characters like Lumiya (or the brain-case that became Nyax, as i read on wookiepedia) to stay fresh people start having to have encyclopedic knowledge of the fictional universe to really know what's going on, or pages and pages recapping obscure storylines written decades ago.

This happened 20 years ago with DC, they rebooted and as a result their characters regained popularity they had not enjoyed in some cased since the late 1930's.

Marvel recently did this with their Ultimates line, and as a result those characters that got the ultimate treatment have never been more popular in their history (With the possible exception of Spiderman, though Ultimate Spiderman outsells it's main sequence title with every issue because it doesn't have to deal with all the junk that drove readers away from Spiderman in the first place.)

It was the right choice, it enhanced the popularity of the characters, it enhanced the curiosity factor of the old continuity resulting in more readers, the titles that were dying previously got a shot in the heart in that they were pared down to the basics that made them famous in the first place.

It works. It's proven.

IMO star wars should do it. It's time. I don't think they will.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Of course, one could argue that Star Wars ALREADY had somewhat of a continuity reboot starting with the SEs and then growing with the PT which introduced so many problems that OT and EU continuity have been rewritten in many places to fit in with the PT.

The "Tragedy of Anakin" reboot, if you will.

25. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    Not to mention the many plot holes in the films that were just left up to the EU to fill. This way all of it can be done with the full six films in mind, and without all the retconning that had to take place after the PT rendered large parts of the EU incomprehensible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.