main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bring Back The Original Characters...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by dv909, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    To be honest, you don't need to read any further than the post-ROTJ Zahn novels. Pretty much everything that comes after is horrible.

I was never a fan of a live action Episode VII-IX...but with technology as it is today, I would be delighted with further Animated adventures of Luke Skywalker..The voice acting would'nt be a problem as long as it was a passable likeness.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Bah, Zahn is horrible too. Thrawn was kind of cool, but Luke was totally out of character. The RotJ Luke wouldn't have fallen for C'baoth's thinly veiled twisted nonsense teachings. And then we have an evil Luke clone! What a genius story! [face_talk_hand]

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    So, this forum is full of EU haters then? :p

I rather like the EU. Some things I didn't enjoy much, like the Dark Nest trilogy, but I do like a lot of it. I like most of the NJO and I really enjoyed the LotF.

And, this is what has been drilled into peoples mind for years, I just don't think there would be a reboot, because it would upset many, many people. And besides, I am not really interested in anything beyond the saga in LA/3d wise. Seeing those characters in 3D would be weird for one, and having a LA series would just be horrible. There'd be no way they could get the original characters to do it because no one looks the same. So, I wouldn't expect it.

4. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    The only thing with the original characters that I think I'd like to see is a post OT series featuring a still relatively young Luke (maybe in his 30s) as the Jedi Master. This could follow his work rebuilding the Jedi Order and feature an ensemble of young Jedi apprentices. I'd also like to see Luke at the height of his powers. That would help to cap the original saga, because, if Luke truly does become the greatest Jedi ever, it would complete the circle.

I don't want to see anything else that belongs in between two major known events. That just removes too much of the mystique. It seems like all we've had recently, from the PT to both Clone Wars series to the upcoming live-action show, all leads up to a series of events that we already know.

In all of the things we've seen since the OT, we had no real reason to fret for the stars (other than the ones we already knew were doomed). All along we knew Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, and Sidious would live, and we knew Mace, Jango, Dooku, Maul, Qui-Gon, Padme and pretty much all the other Jedi would die. It was cool to fill in the story, but it seems now that Lucas is way too preoccupied with the middle.

Since the Galactic Civil War was the watershed event during the Skywalker era, any other event that takes place during that time is either dwarfed in comparison or simply a link in the chain of events. It's better than nothing, but it seems like such a waste when both the KOTOR era and the New Republic era offer so many (almost limitless) possibilities.

5. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    No weirder than the PT characters in 3D. *shrug*

25 years will do that... An OT LAS would be hard to swing. They'd have to set it a couple decades after ROTJ and i doubt they'd get anyone back except maybe Luke (After all, what's Mark Hamil doing these days other than voice work?). No WAY Ford would return to the role, especially for TV. So if they did that it'd just be Jedi probably. Luke and his apprentices or something.

Nah, i'd rather them start up an animated post ROTJ series (CGI or traditional animation, whatever, as long as it's not anime i'd be happy) set a few years after Endor.

6. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I don't know, I just wouldn't be entertained by it. I read a lot of EU and I think I just wouldn't be interested in them retelling what has already been told in my eyes. Regardless of what you can say, I will always believe that what has been written in all the official books is canon and what has happened in the fictional Star Wars universe. And I still don't see them re-doing that. I mean, Lucas has said it's not his story to tell, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

But, if this would happen, I would think that they could get Harrison Ford in a couple of episodes. There's no way he would return. But, Hammil is always a possibility. Voice work is what he chooses to do, so I don't know why you said it as if he doesn't do anything. Fisher...well, I don't think she'd fill in Leia anymore, no offense to her.

7. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    There's a lot of people who don't read ANY EU, and of the ones who do there's a lot of people who read it and didn't like it.

No he didn't, he said he couldn't be responsible for anything other then his stories and the sandbox he built. There is no way Lucas would ever say something like "it's not my story to tell" about any aspect of Star Wars. He barreled through canon he himself established 30 years ago when he made the PT, artificial canon told by someone else would be small potatoes.

And, again, it's not that i think this WILL happen, it's that i think this SHOULD happen.

8. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    There are plenty of people who do like the EU. There may be certain pieces that some people don't like, but they do enjoy reading. If they didn't, they wouldn't read them.

I could have sworn he said something similar to that. I may be wrong, but I will try and find where I read that (if I did). If I didn't, my mistake. :)

But, it definitely shouldn't happen.

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I do like some EU. I loved the Dark Forces games, for example, even though I can hardly bring myself to view things like 'The Valley of the Jedi' as canon. But for a game you expect some things to be at least slightly cheesy. Truth is, I don't really care about what's canon. I care about what I like.

I love the KotOR era and a lot of the Clone Wars EU. It's mostly the post-RotJ era EU that is really bad overall, in my opinion. Some things I did like, like for example the Bounty Hunter stories, but for the most part, post-RotJ EU really messes up a lot. What is especially bad is the way they change how Jedi view the use of the Light and the Dark side, which is totally in contradiction with Lucas' concept of the Force, to name but one thing.

10. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    I'm not interested in turning this into an EU/Anti-EU thread. But the common audience is more important than the EU audience for the same reason that the PT ignored it. The majority of viewers haven't read it, so it doesn't exist for them.

11. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    Personally, I think a sitcom is in order. Everybody Loves Leia and Han. It would chronicle the trials and tribulations of raising the three Solo kids. Add some pointless sexual inneundo, constant insults among the family, and celeberity guest stars and you have a ratings hit.

12. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    ^^ Todd Bridges FTW!

13. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    [face_laugh]

That'd be great!

14. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Make the Chewie be the wacky neighbor. Heck, Lumpy could even join in on the madness. Hijinks ensue!

15. dv909

dv909 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    Yoda would make a pretty funny landlord. Though I bet he'd keep asking why everybody keeps calling him Mr. Roper.

One thing I feel confident with is the idea that Lucas will want to keep the franchise going in some form or other 'cinematically.' Whether with released epics like "The Clone Wars" or other TV show ventures. I think he definitely has shown an interest in exploring the KOTOR period.

I also think he has to lighten up on the EU post ROTJ because he has given license for it. If he's not happy about the way things turned out surely he could've put the 'kebosh' on it. He definitely shouldn't be mocking it either, considering he's getting paid pretty well by A LOT of people who enjoy the EU.

That being said, I just wanna see a new adventure with Luke Skywalker and Co. in a familiar setting. I don't think that's much of a stretch considering we're getting another 30 hours of Anakin and Co. It doesn't have to be taken so seriously either. I'm not saying cartoons like "Droids" or "Ewoks", but Star Wars was a lot more fun when it was considered "The Adventures Of Luke Skywalker" rather than "The Tragedy Of Darth Vader."

Speaking of Vader, I can't be the only fan who felt robbed by the 4 minutes of Vader in the suit in ROTS. That suit is iconic Star Wars. We can't possibly have seen the last of it. A suited Vader hunting down the last of the Jedi has GIGANTIC potential. Maybe Lucas knows this already and he's just waiting to see how the other shows turn out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.