Discussion Bring on An Original Story!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by boomx2sjk, Nov 9, 2012.

1. boomx2sjk Jedi Master

star 1
    Long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I am an EU guy, but am not going to flip out if there is continuity issues with the new trilogy. A complete reboot of the post-ROTJ EU would kind of stink, but is not going to devastate me like it would others.

That said, is anyone as excited as me about an "ORIGINAL STORY" for this trilogy? I do not want to see The Thrawn Trilogy or NJO adapted into movies, because we all know (or most of us anyway) know what happens, who dies, who lives, the conclusion, etc...

While I love the prequel trilogy, something that took away from them (for me at least) was that, in the end, you knew who was to live or die. We all knew the fates of Obi-Wan, Anakin, the droids, Palps, Yoda, etc. Those who are big students of SW knew what would happen before it even hit the big screen.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing new, original stories from the SW universe on the big screen for the first time.
    artooo likes this.
  2. Moojieba Force Ghost

star 4
    I am not an EU guy, but I agree anyway. Star Wars - as a cinematic medium - should exist on its own. The EU is fine - and if the filmmakers want to make slight nods in the direction of popular stories, that's great. But we don't need Boba Fett climbing out of the Sarlac Pit, or an army of cloned Palpatines (like I said, not an EU guy, just heard about some of the stories)

Bring on the new!
  3. boomx2sjk Jedi Master

star 1
    I would not mind aspects of the EU, either a story or character, making appearances in the new trilogy, but not a lot.

I can't wait to walk into the theater for a SW movie not knowing what is going to happen to who. Provided I steer clear of the spoilers that will surely be all over the forum in 2015!
  4. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    EU has been mentioned... abandon hope all ye who enter here...
  5. stellarmagic01 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I still think we'll see elements of the EU that compliment the story being woven in... I mean, we're talking about passing the torch, the next generation and so forth. That is the big plot thread left hanging from Return of the Jedi in Yoda's instruction to Luke. I mean think about this (which is in part why I am really hopping for Mara Jade as a figure of some sort)...

"Luke, when gone am I, the last of the Jedi, will you be. Luke... the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned." - Yoda, Return of the Jedi
    "Not the last of the Old Jedi, Luke. The first of the new." - Spirit of Obi-wan Kenobi, Heir of the Empire
    "Lots of reasons. Because you earned it. Because you're on your way to becoming a Jedi and will need it. Mostly though because I want you to have it." - Luke Skywalker to Mara Jade, The Last Command

I mean if passing on the torch is the theme of the new stories picking up threads like that and running with them just make sense to me.
  6. Sethian Eber Jedi Padawan

To create the best possible sequel film requires a clean slate. A sandbox limits creativity and taking everything into account would lose the audience as well as the fanbase. There was hardly any EU element in the PT aside from references to EU stuff (like Droids) which Lucas had more direct involvement. Apparently GL had to be convinced to use the name Coruscant for the capital. It's the name which Zahn came up with, the capital idea already existed. There are a couple other exceptions but they are minor compared to the contradictions introduced. Mara Jade is an EU fan favorite, but she is also dead assuming that original cast is involved in some role at their proper ages. She would also be older. I don't see it happening, not even for fan service.

Completely unrelated, but it would be pretty neat to see some EU stuff like the Zahn novels translated to animated films with Clone Wars animation and the voices of the original cast.
  7. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    I'm hoping for a live action series of the Thrawn Trilogy...ten episodes per season, three seasons, one season = one book...
  8. StarWarsFan91 Force Ghost

star 4
    You know guys....it is possible to create an original story, that has never been shown at all in the EU, while also not contradicting previous EU. Shocker.....i know.
    Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  9. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    That's what the OP and everyone else pretty much said, yeah.
  10. boomx2sjk Jedi Master

star 1
    True, but the post-ROTJ EU is so saturated. Trying to shoehorn the ST in without stepping on the EUs toes in any way is going to be pretty difficult.

I'd like to see a compromise between all-new original content and the EU, but if it comes to a decision, I am fine with the EU being trumped for a kick-arse sequel trilogy that will (hopefully) lead to more kick arse movies and tv series.
  11. Chaos123x Jedi Master

star 1
    Star Wars: Underworld, Del-Toro's Hulk, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D TV show all on ABC on the same night.
  12. TheNegotiationsWereShort Jedi Padawan

There's no reason they should try to tiptoe around the dense minefield that is EU. The writers should, as someone else indicated, have a clean slate to allow for completely uninhibited storytelling. I'm quite excited about the prospect of an entirely fresh, new storyline. "Star Wars" is a movie franchise first and foremost; the films should always take precedence.
    agentkrycek likes this.
  13. stellarmagic01 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    "Bangalore Torpedoes, it's the only way through that minefield."

*Starts pushing the torpedoes through the minefield called the EU beginning with Vector Prime*

"There shall be Chewie..."

*Smashes through Star by Star*

"There will be three Solo children to work with."

*Lights the fuse*

"Fire in the HOLE!"

*A hole is blown in the minefield by destroying New Jedi Order and Legacy series*

"Now that's what I'm taking about!"
  14. Darth Ox Jedi Youngling

I would like to see a prequel Sith based trilogy. The formation of the Sith.
  15. boomx2sjk Jedi Master

star 1
    If the ST is successful, there is no doubt in my mind Disney would give the go-ahead for more movies in different time periods.
    Darth Ox likes this.