Bring Out Your Grunge

Discussion in 'Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Aug 25, 2009.

Moderators: Grimby
  1. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    This is a thread dedicated to grungy design and/or really distorted designs. Think something along the lines of David Carson, but always dirty. Also stuff that pushes design to the far end of the spectrum. I encourage you all to post your grungy designs so they can be critiqued or admired. Whichever you're up for. I usually like the critiques. I'll get this started by posting a design of my own. Feel free to make a comment and post your own.

[image=http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7622/printmagcoverchangedbyf.jpg]

Hi-res version

This is the design I'm most proud of. Mainly for the texture work and that it uses no images at all. The objective was to make a design using just Photoshop brushes. We could turn images into brushes, but not allowed to use them directly. I wanted to make paper and I'd already gotten into using paper textures in some of my work and this is the 'apex' of it. The white paper started out as just a white rectangle and gradually morphed into the piece of paper you see.

So I invite you all to share what you think.
  2. Sith-Lord-Gunray Chosen One

star 6
    OMG DAVID CARSON. You knew that would get me in this thread.
  3. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, I'm an expert on Es El Gee-ology. :p
  4. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Outstanding! That's very impressive work for using only brushes. :)

It kinda reminds me of whysoserious.com.....
  5. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Thank you. It was a pain to get to look right, but my professor kept pushing me to get it right and gave advice on how to accomplish it.
  6. Sith-Lord-Gunray Chosen One

star 6
    I'd contribute to this thread but my program doesn't allow much grunge opportunities in assignments. It is a tragedy. :(
  7. Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You should do some on your off time if you can.
  8. Sith-Lord-Gunray Chosen One

star 6
    Probably. I just wouldn't know where to start. We only get specific assignments advertising related - we've never done any personal expression work.
  9. Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You could follow FID's lead and do grunge posters or t-shirts. Maybe even a graffiti wall.
  10. Sith-Lord-Gunray Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah tshirt design has actually been something that's been interesting me lately...there's a lot of job opportunities I've seen as well for it. When I get some free time I'll give it a go.
  11. Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hopefully you'll show us some of your designs.
  12. Sith-Lord-Gunray Chosen One

star 6
    Definitely. If we've got enough designers on this forum, maybe we should start up a critique thread or something.
  13. Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think we have a lot more designers than those who post in this forum.
  14. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Next up is my other piece on time.

[image=http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3324/timetake2byfidoalmighty.jpg]

(hi-res)

I had no idea where this was going when I created it. I found about...4 different textures that I really liked and placed them together and what you see is what turned into the background. And I always try to have a message to my posters so I chose time. The way the background looked made me think of how it eventually eats away at who you are physically or even mentally. So I made the text reflect that as well. The concept is that someone saw this decayed piece and saw 'Time' posted on it and decided to add their own bit to it. So, I hope you enjoy it and feel free to speak your mind. I'd love it if more people would post their stuff. Even if you don't think it's very good or...whatever, just post something.

15. Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That reminds of me of the some of the painted walls around Kuwait City, Kuwait. I noticed them when I spent time downtown there in 96. I spent 3 months there during my time in the USAF.
Moderators: Grimby