main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Bringing back a hockey thread for the playoffs

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by SteelLepp, Apr 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    Who was that team wearing the Blue Note last night? I don't think I have ever seen a Blues team hit so hard and so often as they did last night! The result was a 3-1 win over the Sharks in Game 1.

The west should be interesting. The Avs squeaked by the Canucks 5-4 in a very sloppy game. Detroit lost 2 of their top players in their win over the Kings. And Dallas and Edmonton played a tight, hardfought overtime game won by the Stars.

The East? Ahh, who cares. Anyway, the Sabres, Capitals and Devils won their first games.

Catch ya later and go Blues.

2. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, I was at the Guster concert at the Pageant last night, so I didn't get the good news until I was on my way home.

WOOHOO!!!! Way to GOOOOOOO, Blue Boys!!!!
    I'm so excited.

And Go Canucks!!!! If you can't beat the darn 'Lanche, at least wear 'em down for everyone else.

Myself I do have a bit of interest in the Eastern Conference, being partial to both the Devils (good going) and the Penguins (come on, guys). But of course my main focus will be rooting for my main team, the musical kings of the ice.

Game 2 is - IMHO - CRUCIAL for us in this series. Let's bring home another win Saturday!

LET'S GO BLUES!
    LET'S GO BLUES!
    LET'S GO BLUES!
    :D

3. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    My hubby, Matt, was fortunate enough to be there to see the win - and, knowing that I like ties (yep, neckties, those things men HAVE to wear at times, I wear them fairly often, but only fun ties, I have a couple SW ties, and a couple Winnie-the-Pooh, etc.) he brought me home a real cool, and expensive feeling, Blues hockey necktie, the proceeds of which all go the Children's Miracle Network. I should send him to hockey games more often, I think!
    :)

4. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Go Blackhawks...

5. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    After the weekend, the Blues are tied with the Sharks 1-1. They lost the game Saturday 1-0. Got a late game tonight folks, 9PM central.

In other playoff news, the 'Wings lead the Kings 2 games to 1. The Stars lead the Oilers 2 - 1. And the Avs lead the Canucks 2 - 0.

In the East: The Devils lead the 'Canes 2 - 0 (ho-hum :) ). The Caps and Pens are tied 1 - 1. The Sabres lead the Flyers 2 - 0. And The Leafs lead the Sens 2 - 0.

Lets go Blues.

6. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Wow, I guess hocky is really the only thing to talk about when you live in Missouri. It seems like this would be a MN thread :)

7. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Well, baseball season hasn't heated up yet and the concert season isn't really here yet, so....

The Blues kicked some majow Shark butt last night winning 6-3 and a 2 games - 1 lead. The Blues only took one shot in the third period, a goal, as they went into a defensive shell. Tirek looked good stopping 35 of 38 shots. Next game, tonight at 9:30 on WB11 (or one of the ESPNs).

The Avs won the other Western conference game last night to take a 3-0 lead overthe Canucks. In the East, the Sens finally scored but still lost giving the Leafs a 3 games - 0 lead. Pens lead the Caps 2 - 1. And the Sabres lead the Flyers 2 - 1.

Do you bleed blue?

8. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Well, defensive lapses killed the Blues last night as they lost 3-2. They return to St. Louis with the series tied 2-2.

Other playoff series, Edmonton tied the series with Dallas 2-2 after their overtime victory.

In the East, As the rest of the Devils beat the 'Canes on the scoreboard, Scott Stevens just plains beats the 'Canes. He left 2 more injured 'Canes in his wake after the game last night. The Devils lead the series 3-0. The Sabres lead the Flyers 3 games - 1.

Catch ya later

9. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    That was a tough loss Tuesday night. And the Blues didn't play badly either. They looked - well, they looked worn out. But the thing is - and I REALLY DO HATE to say this about my favorite team - a team that DESERVES to win the Stanley Cup is NOT gonna look tired until the game is OVER. You can BE tired, but ya can't let it affect your game, ya just can't slow down, miss passes, make bad passes.

On the positive side - the Blues NEVER let up on the goalie, delivering shot after shot through all periods. BTW, that rookie Shark tender (Kiprusoff, I believe) - who probably never imagined in his wildest dreams that he'd be STARTING in a playoff game this season - did a super job. Boy would I like to have him on our team!

Speaking of goaltending, I don't care what ANYBODY else says, I am NOT satisfied with Turek's performance. When one goal makes the difference between winning and losing you can't afford ANY soft goals - NONE, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA, ZERO!!

Anyway, early game tonight, 6:30pm CST.
    GO BLUES!!!!!!

10. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Well, its time for another "after the Blues game update."

The Blues beat the Sharks last night 3-2 in OT and take a 3 games to 2 lead. The Blues scored early then Turek let the Sharks back in by giving up a couple of questionable goals. The Blues played flat until nearly the end of the game. Dallas Drake scored his 4th (!!!!!!!!!) playoff goal after a beautiful move by Turgeon with about 3 mins left in the game. The Blues then took the game on an OT goal by Bryce Salvador. Next game tommorrow in the Shark Tank.

In the West, the Avs finished off the Canucks with a sweep. The 'Wings let a three goal lead slip away and lost to the Kings in OT to tie that series at 2 games apiece. The Oilers and Stars just keep playing OT games with Dallas winning the latest and taking a 3 - 2 lead in the series.

In the East, the Leafs swept the Sens. The Devils lead the Huricanes 3 - 1 (wow the 'Canes actually won a game). The Sabres lead the Flyers 3 - 2 and the Pens and Caps are all tied up at 2 games apiece.

Next update from me on Monday.

Catch ya later

11. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Woo-Hoo. The Blues are into the 2nd round. They will face either the Avs or the Stars depending upon how the Detroit/LA series works out (Go Kings!). The Kings lead the series 3 games to 2 and play tonight in LA. Dallas eliminated the Oilers 4 - 2.

In the East, the Devils knocked out the Hircanes 4 games to 2. The Pens lead the Caps 3 - 2, game 6 in Pitt. And the Sabres eliminated the Flyers 4 games - 2.

Catch ya later

12. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Now all of the 2nd round series are set up.

In the West, Your St. Louis Blues will face off against the Dallas Stars.
    The Colorado Avalanche will play the LA Kings (Way to kick the 'Wings' butts).

In the East, the NJ Devils play the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Pittsburgh Penguins square off with the Buffalo Sabres.

Catch ya later,
    Steve

13. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Go Blues!

Go Kings!

Go Devils!
    except Go Cujo! (I don't want the Devils to win by Cujo goofs, I love that guy!)

Go Pens!

That's all I have to say about that.

I lied. I also would like to say:
    Woohoo!!!!!!
    Blues advance, and Detroit gets beat in the first round!!!!!
    Na, NA, Na, NA NA!!!!
    Detroit Sucks!!!

14. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Round 2 starts tonight! All teams except St. Louis and Dallas will tonight. Blues and Stars face off tomorrow night.

As always, GO BLUES!

15. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    :::in my best deep stadium shout voice:::

WAY TO GO -----BLUuuuuuuuuuES-----!!!!!!!!

Blues lead Dallas 2-0 in the 2nd round series, winning two AWAY games right off the bat. Let's make it four in a row, boys!

Kings pull a win out of (their @$$3$) the hat on Thursday, but Colorado won Saturday to tie that series 1-1.

Pens lead Sabres 2-0. (Go Pens!)

Devils and Leafs are tied at 1-1. First game score Leafs 2 - Devils 0 (Go CUjo, Go CUjo). Second game Leafs 5 - Devils 6 (Yo, Curtis, whassup withat?) (Go Devils!)

And, just in case we lose sight of what's important here:

GO BLUES!

16. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    You beat me to it today Steph :)

The Blues looked GOOD yesterday. And I like the way Turek has been playing. AND do the numbers 0 and 31 mean anything? :)

Catch ya later,
    Steve

17. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    The numbers 0 and 31 DO mean something!

That would be:

ZERO -0- goals allowed

in the last THIRTY-ONE -31- power plays by Blues opponents.

EXCELLENT JOBS by Blues goaltender Roman Turek and the Blues penalty killing units.

RIGHT on, Blues!

18. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Go Blues!

(I've changed my colors in honor of their playoff performance to date)

19. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Man What a GREAT hockey game that was last night. The Blues started out slow but then kicked it into high gear and ended up winning 3-2 in 2 OTs. They now have a 3 games to 0 lead in the series. On a "sad" note, the Note finally allowed a power play goal by former Blue Brett Hull.

In the other playoff game, the Devils beat the Leafs 3-2 in OT and take a 2 - 1 series lead. The Devils got the game winner on a freak "own goal" by the Leafs defense.

Let's Go Blues

20. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Yes, awesomely terrific (and LOOOONG) game last night.

Blues are rockin the NHL.

Only team this year to go 3-0 in Round 2.
    All others are 2-1:
    Avs over Kings
    Pens over Sabres
    Devils over Leafs

Kings are playing so hot, I'm not sure I'd rather see us play them (over Colorado) in Round 3. But hey, this Blues fan isn't worried. Whoever we play, we are blast them off their skates.

WAY TO GO BLUES!!!

21. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    The Blues are now on to round 3. They beat the Stars 4-1 on an OUTSTANDING game from Roman Turek. They swept the Stars and now await the winner of the Avs/Kings series.

The Avs lead the Kings 3 games to 1 with game 5 tonight.

In the East, the Maple Leafs beat the Devils to tie up the series 2 games to 2. And in a very unusual series, the Sabres and Penguins are tied 2 games each with the road team winning every game.

LET'S GO BLUES

22. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    S-W-E-E-P :D

SWEEP :cool: sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep :cool: SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep :cool: SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP :cool: sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep face_cool] SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP :cool: sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep :cool: SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP sweep SWEEP :cool: sweep SWEEP sweep

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself! [face_devil]

23. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    As long as you have the broom out, Steph, I have some floors you can do.

Phil

24. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Well, It is REALLY hard telling now who the Blues will play. The Kings tied the series at 3 games each. The Avs looked like they didn't care, so maybe we should root for them to face the Blues next round?

Anyway, looks like it will be Saturday at the earliest for the next Blues game.

Catch ya later

25. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    OK, I just HAD to post!!!!!!!!!
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

The playoffs are heating up!

Remember ROUND 1?
    It featured two sweeps, by Colorado and whuh? => TORONTO!! who beat No. 2 seed, Ottawa. The remaining match-ups were all decided in 6 games, the only other surprise being the Kings clipping the Red Wings, who, after winning the first two games, finished their series with four consecutive losses to LA.

Now ROUND 2, drawing to a close.
    While the Blues sweep the Sharks in the other three contests it's a dog-eat-dog fight for the finish, all being forced to a Game 7.

TONIGHT - Wednesday May 9
    6 pm - Defending Stanley Cup champions New Jersey Devils against the upstart Toronto Mapleleafs
    I love Cujo, yet must admit to being a Devils fan. Whichever team wins this game is my choice for the Eastern Conference winner.
    9 pm - The Coloarado Avalanche tries to get rid of those pesky LA Kings in a game 7 that Blues fans have awaited anxiously, for it determines who their (OUR) team will face in the next series.

ROUND 3
    For the Blues - will begin [FINALLY] either Friday or Saturday, depending on who wins tonight. Go Kings! (I think...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.