main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bringing Balance to the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_Shaitan, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "The sith seem to believe everything else that the jedi believe."

Not really. The Sith don't believe in holding back their passions
    and anger like the Jedi do. The Sith don't consider the dark side
    to be "unnatural" as the Jedi do. The Sith may not believe one
    chosen person can eliminate the Sith and bring balance, as the Jedi
    believe. There is nothing to indicate the Sith place any
    importance on it other than if you want to point at Sids wanting
    Anakin on his side. The reason is debateable I guess.

2. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    That's why I 'upped' it after the movie was released.;)

Remaking old threads will result in topics being remade every few months.
    (the last response in the old one is only ten days old)

But, it's not my call. *shrugs shoulders*

Oh yeah, and if you didnt post in the original one I apologize. I thought you did but I could be wrong.[face_peace]

3. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Just a quick question here.

If Sidious believed that Anakin was to bring balance to the dark side, then surely he thought the same way as the Jedi. Balance = no jedi opposed to the Jedi's view, balance = no sith.

If this is the case and it seems Luceno seems to think that Sidious thought balance was brought to the dark side, then why didnt Sidious make more of an effort to search for Yoda and Kenobi?

Surely someone like him who was hidden from the jedi so long, whom was part of a two sith doctrine and who rose up and destroyed the jedi order would see that two force users such as the remaining Jedi would pose some kind of threat or hinderance to his rule - be it keeping the imbalance or rebuilding the Jedi Order as Bane and the other sith lords did with their own order.

So why not send vader on a specific mission such as this? Why not have vader 'fulfill his destiny' fully?

Did he fear Kenobi would kill Vader? Did he fear Kenobi could turn Vader back? Furthermore, did Vader fear the idea that Anakin could be reignited within his dark soul?

Any thoughts on this?

4. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "So why not send vader on a specific mission such as this? Why not have vader 'fulfill his destiny' fully?"

IMO the answer would be b/c the Sith did not believe in the Chosen
    One or believe the opposite of the Jedi - that he'd bring balance
    to the darkside.

5. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    IMO the answer would be b/c the Sith did not believe in the Chosen
    One or believe the opposite of the Jedi - that he'd bring balance
    to the darkside.

I was really asking that, if Sidious thought this way (dark side balance), why not have Anakin fulfill his destiny by destroying all the jedi?

I think its highly likely that he saw the new rule of the sith as a balance to the force. So why not complete the balance by wiping out the jedi?

If you dont believe that Sidious believed he was bringing balance or that Anakin was the dark side chosen oen, then there's no point in commenting. I was just asking that, if Sidious really did think that Anakin was destined to bring balance to the dark side, why not send him to kill Kenobi (and Yoda if he thought he was still alive)?

MS

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, as far as DL is concerned, he didn't care about exterminating all the Jedi invidually, but rather destroying the Order. A couple of Jedi surviving isn't enough for him to consider the dark side to not be "in control".

"Master, I found the three Jedi who escaped Order Sixty-Six."

"What of it?"

"The damage to my arm was done by one of them, though she is now dead, by my blade."

"And the other two?"

"They eluded me." Vader lifted his scarred face to regard Sidious. "But they wouldn't have if this suit didn't restrict me to the point of immobility! If the Star Destroyer you placed at my command was properly equipped! If Sienar had completed work on the starfighter I designed!"

Sidious waited until Vader was finished, then stood up and walked to within a meter of the room's transparent panels. "So, my young apprentice, two Jedi slip through your grasp and you scatter the blame like leaves blwon about by a storm."

"Master, if you had been there -"

"Keep still," Sidious interrupted, "Before you damage yourself all the more." He gave Vader a moment to compose himself. "First, let me reiterate that the Jedi mean nothing to us. In having survived, Yoda and Obi-Wan aren't exceptions to the rule. I'm certain that dozens of Jedi escaped with their lives, and in due time you will hav the pleasure of killing many of them. But of greater import is the fact that their order has been crushed. Finished, Lord Vader. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Master," Vader muttered.

"In burying their heads in the sand and snows of remote worlds, the surviving Jedi humble themselves before the Sith. So let them: let them atone for one thousand years of arrogance and self-absorption."

So basically, his overconfidence is his weakness. ;)

7. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    Very interesting Ulicus, thanks.

I would like to point something out though. I know this is Luceno and not Lucas but the interpretation i have from this is similar to the idea I get from lucas regarding Sidious:

"Keep still," Sidious interrupted, "Before you damage yourself all the more." He gave Vader a moment to compose himself. "First, let me reiterate that the Jedi mean nothing to us. In having survived, Yoda and Obi-Wan aren't exceptions to the rule. I'm certain that dozens of Jedi escaped with their lives, and in due time you will hav the pleasure of killing many of them. But of greater import is the fact that their order has been crushed. Finished, Lord Vader. Do I make myself clear?"

That line to me seems to equate to a slight bit of fear in Sidious. The idea of the Jedi being worthless now and humbled by the Sith is a strong one and could be entirely correct and right.

Its just I think Sidious could possibly fear losing Vader back to the Jedi. I think he fears what would happen if Vader faced Kenobi or Yoda again? Does he fear him being turned?

Its just it links to a few things for me:

Why he fears Luke so much. OK luke has a lot of potential and as a jedi could be very powerful. But I always got the impression that he feared Lukes effect on Vader. Could this be the same with the remaining Jedi?

I mean, ok the Order has been destroyed. But surely he would want total revenge and total power. As long as the jedi remain, like the sith, they will use up some of the force. After all the jedi were clouded by the emergence of a couple of sith. Their abilities diminshed. Maybe it could be the same for the sith??

I dunno. I think our friend Lord Sidious would want nothing more than the destruction of all the jedi and not just its order. But perhaps fears the effect it could have upon the chosen one of the dark side? After all, he must fear Anakin becoming a jedi and fulfilling the prophecy for the jedi more than he fears the death of the crippled one.

8. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    The Prophecy of the Chosen One or the larger Prophecy?

...that unfold the dark times would.
    Born into their midst the Chosen One is, to return balance to the Force.

can they be mutually exclusive?

9. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    The Prophecy of the Chosen One or the larger Prophecy?

...that unfold the dark times would.
    Born into their midst the Chosen One is, to return balance to the Force.

can they be mutually exclusive?

Im not too clued up on the larger prophecy except for what you said there. Obviously we dont know what Sidious knows or believes.

That explanation suggests that the darkness would come but that the chosen one would bring balance to the light.

But Sidious being the optomist for the dark side would probably think -dark times would come and the chosen one would help the darkness take over.

I think the two parts of the prophecy can be seen together or apart.

I think we need to look closely into what Sidious would believe. he thinks he is bringing peace. He thinks he is right. He doesnt think he is evil. Therefore he he took note that the prophecy existed wouldnt he think that it would be there to support his views, like the Jedi believed it would support them?

10. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Yoda is obviously aware of the larger Prophecy in AOTC when he tells Obi Wan:

"The shroud of the Dark Side has fallen"

There would be no need for a "Chosen One" to be born into their midst" to return balance, if the Dark Side were not gaining power in the Force.

In LOE, Yoda discusses Dooku's leaving the Order with Obi Wan and that Dooku often spoke (with Yoda and Sifo Dyas) of the larger Prophecy and therefore his interest in the Dark Side.

So, Dooku had a great interest in the Dark Side, and was disillusioned with the corruption in the Senate.
    Did he seek out the Sidious, or did the Sidious seek him out?

Regarding what the Jedi knew:

Qui-Gon Jinn: "Finding him was the will of the force, I have no doubt of that." (TPM)

Do I believe that Sids knew about Anakin all along?

Nope. Not a chance. Had QGJ not forced the chance cube and taken Ani off of Tatooine, he still would have been the Chosen One; he would have fulfilled his destiny another way. Without being a Jedi - and without so much Anger. (The prophecy says nothing about the Chosen One being a Jedi - that's where QGJ was wrong)
    Aaahh - but the story wouldn't have been so much fun now would it? [face_peace]

That's also why I believe that Anakin was created by the Force, and not some Super Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.