main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bringing balance to the FORCE.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by BobaFrank, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I've never really understood this line and quite frankly it annoys me. Its been talked about in TPM and AOTC but what does it mean?

At the time Mace and Qui-Gon says the lines the Empire isn't around and the Republic is in control. So does it mean when Anakin turns evil it will balance it out for the dark side? And then when the Empire is in control and he kills the Emperor it will balance it out for the good side?

Can anyone explain why he will bring balance back to the FORCE?

I've always thought good and evil can't live without the other? I've always believed there has to be opposition in all things to grow and progress in life? Thats the only explaination I have for this.

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I not sure because darth vader kills the emperor.and the sith are compleatly gone then.so I guess that wouldn't be balance :confused: But in some of the books it tells that even the jedi don't know exactly what it means :)

3. Force_Prophet

Force_Prophet Jedi Master star 3

Apr 9, 2003
    I have wondered this as well. I think that balance means bringing both sides of the force to its foundations again. Maybe Jedi are supposed to be more balanced, accepting of both the light and dark side of the force. Anakin makes sure of this by destroying both the Jedi council and the Emporer.

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    There was a thread ages ago that had a better idea for the balancing of the Force than the simple Good Vs Bad.

Many of the Jedi used the Unifying Force over the Living Force. Qui-Gon is an advocate of the Living Force. Anakin wipes out all the Jedi except Obi-Wan and Yoda - the two Jedi that teach Luke. If you look at Yoda's teachings, they are far more balanced between the Living and Unifying Force than he was in the PT. So therefore, Luke believes, and uses both sides of the Force. So the balancing of the Force is the balancing of these two ways of using the Force.

5. Force_Prophet

Apr 9, 2003
    That actually makes sense. I never really thought about that aspect of the force, when you think of balance the first thing in you head is Good V. Evil. Very interesting indeed Wannabe.

6. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    very interesting Anakin_wannabe!!! :D

7. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The prohecy, IIRC, was that the dark side would gradually grow, and take over the light side. In this dark time, there would be a JEdi who would bring balance back to the Force, ie, evening out the dark side's rule and restoring the light side. As far as I can see, Anakin did this by tossing old Palps down the shaft to his death, bringing balance back to the Force, as the Emperor was the evil dark side guy ruling the galaxy and killing Jedi.

8. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    But if the light side is the dominant side of the Force in the galaxy, then it isn't balanced at all. Light and Darkside would need to be exactly equal in power and influence to be balanced.

9. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Exactly. Thats why I brought this up. If its true then Anakin was destined to be evil then turn good again.

10. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    maybe it is like the prophecy in the Matrix, no one knows exactly what it is and...if you have seen the movie I suggest you dont read this.

It ended up not being true

just highlight that to read it

11. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Interesting.

Wishing there was a Dr. Evil face to use.

12. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Starting the off here with a couple of interesting thoughts....

Balance. Equilibrium. Stability. The Chosen One. The Dark Side. The Light Side.

The Force.

Too many times have I heard in discussions of "balance through the Force" as an equal number or strength of both the Light and the Dark Sides of the Force. Yet, both theories are inevitably wrong.

The Force is usually seen in two views, either as a "Light" Side or a "Dark" Side, as taken in the movies.

Sometimes three views, should you take into consideration the "Grey Jedi" or more or less the "middle" of the Light and the Dark.

Popular misconception, however, is that the Force is only split into these "parts". Yet, the Force as a natural occurence and being is seen in different lights.

I like to call the Jedi and Sith point of view of the force "Portionism", as they see the Force in "Portions" of Dark and Light.

Granted it is much more complicated than just that, and both factions (or "Orders" to be more specific") look deeper into the connection with the Force and the affect of the universe as a whole and individually (down to the last midi-chlorian, eh? Oh wait, shouldn't have said that word! D'oh! :p )

Then there is the belief in Potentium, as practiced by both Vergere in the NJO and appearing in Greg Bear's "Rogue Planet" in members of the planet Zonama Sekot.

Potentium, if you do not already know, is the belief that all things are inherintly good, and that "balance" is already achieved by the way of how this acts out.

However, with the events of the Star Wars Saga as evidence, it is easily seen that both beleifs can seem right, although the "unbalance" in the Force during the first 5 movies (before the proposed bringing of the balance in ROTJ) shows that Portionism and the prophecy of the Chosen One is ultimately "more correct", for lack of a better word.

Balance will be achieved by this individual as the Dark Side is completely defeated (well, the Dark Side is always available and readily prepared to embrace those who begin to rod its path, however the basis is what is to be destroyed by the Chosen One, which is determined to be Palpatine destroyed by Anakin).

The Chosen One, simply defined by the CUSWE as:

The Chosen One

This individual is prophecied by ancient Jedi legends whose origins have been lost over the millennia. The basic premise of the prophecy is that a being would be born of the Force, seemingly brought into the world simply by the presence of midichlorians. The Chosen One would be born to a mother who was not morally impregnated, a conception enacted by the will of the Force. This being would be incredibly connected to the Force, with a high level of skills even before training. Eventually, the prophecy proclaims that the Chosen One will bring balance to the Force throughout the galaxy. This balance, however, could only be achieved after a period in which the Dark Side of the Force grew strong.

"The basic premise of the prophecy is that a being would be born of the Force, seemingly brought into the world simply by the presence of midichlorians. The Chosen One would be born to a mother who was not morally impregnated, a conception enacted by the will of the Force."

Anakin, concieved by the midichlorians and born to Shmi, was a will of the Force, as proved by TPM.

"This being would be incredibly connected to the Force, with a high level of skills even before training."

Anakin showing skill in Podracing is a quick depiction of how this relates to him, as well as his amazing mechanical skills even in his younger years.

"This balance, however, could only be achieved after a period in which the Dark Side of the Force grew strong."

How could the Dark Side grow strong again? I mean, Dooku would eventually die and Darth Maul did, so if there was not another w

13. plokoon480

plokoon480 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I've always had an idea that maybe the Jedi Council was wrong about Anakin being the chosen one. He could have just been a very strong force user, like Palpatine or Yoda. If you think about it, it makes sense.
    Or another idea I had is that in the years of the old Republic, the Jedi vastly outnumbered the Jedi. Maybe Anakin, as the chosen one, was supposed to kill of all the jedi and continue with the Jedi purge. Then the force would be balanced. Two sith: Vader and Palpatine, and two Jedi: Yoda and Obi-wan. But the part he did wrong was that he felli in love with Padme and had Luke, who makes the light more powerful than the dark. But then again, maybe Anakin is supposed to have a child. That child would make the Light more powerful than the Dark, just like it was before Anakin came along. And then, another chosen one would be chosen to bring balance to the galaxy that the child of the chosen one started. Like the Matrix. There is never only 1 ONE. The whole thing continues over and over again. If you do not understand this, heres and example:
    The galaxy had started. There are vast armies of Jedi and Sith. The jedi take over and vastly outnumber the sith. There are thousands of Jedi yet only two sith. Then a chosed one comes along(Anakin) and killed every Jedi but only lets two survive(Yoda and Obi-Wan). He joins the Sith. Before that he had a son(Luke). The son kills the Sith and turns his father back to the light. He then makes the galxy have thousands of Jedi were there are only two sith. After millions of years, another Chosen one is born who kills all the Jedi except two, and then joins the Sith. Before that he had a son, who kills the Sith and returns his father to the light. This would continue for the rest of time.

14. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Interesting theory.

Please take no offense but could you check your post for grammer next time. :)

15. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    BobaFrank: Are you talking to me or plokoon? ?[face_plain]

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

16. plokoon480

plokoon480 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Yea I know. I'm sorry about the grammer.

17. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    BobaFrank: Are you talking to me or plokoon?

Plo. ;)

18. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    You know, I think what annoys me the most about the line, "And remember, if he is the chosen one, he's the only one who can bring balance back to the Force."

Mace says it like we all know what he means. Its said several times in the PT like its common knowledge we know what there talking about. Frustrating.

19. Force_Prophet

Apr 9, 2003
    I agree with that last statment Boba. I doubt we will get to see the Prophecy in EP3, but GL should make an effort to clear up a lot of the questions that revolve around it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.